Nikon z50 Apsc camera

Danyyyel

So Nikon just release its Apsc  mirrorless camera in the z50. So looks quite pack with features with one big omission being IBIS. There are also some controversy if the 4k video (24, 25, 30p) is full sensor or crop sensor. Dpreview says its crop while even Nikon Canada says it is full sensor. No mention of 10bit even external or a headphone jack.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It looks quite a solid camera, if the quality of the 4k and 120 fps FHD is about same as the z6 then it is a very good camera. I mean it is a 800 usd camera and what makes me more existed is the fact it is not the typical Sony APSC 24 megapixel A6400 type sensor, you know the jello sensor. Another thing to consider is that it is 20.9 megapixel sensor. The Nikoon d500 sensor had very good low light 20 megapixel sensor and if it is base on that, it should be quite good in low light.

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

I mean it is a 800 usd camera and what makes me more existed is the fact it is not the typical Sony APSC 24 megapixel A6400 type sensor, you know the jello sensor.

Jello/RS - Its nothing to do with the sensor, thats how fast the processor can read it.

1 minute ago, Mako Sports said:

Jello/RS - Its nothing to do with the sensor, thats how fast the processor can read it.

No its both and I would say sensor first. Sensor have some kind of refresh rate, that is the amount of data they can read and send out to the processor. Most of the recent sony have the latest bionz processor, its the sensor that seems to be still old tech and you can understand it from their strategy because they have more or less abandoned the apsc market until recently.

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, David Bowgett said:

Weird how there seems to be this black hole when it comes to APS-C cameras and IBIS. Damn near every M4/3 and full-frame camera has it nowadays, but on the APS-C front there's only really the A6500 and A6600 that have it (plus some of Pentax's cameras).

Fuji XH-1 as well.

2 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

There is 120fps 1080p, electronic stabilization also available in 4k. D500 or D7500 with same sensor couldn't do that. CPU is definitely faster, and should handle full read out.

Every Nikon website I checked mentioned no crop.

Here is Nikon Russia:

IMG_20191010_115122.thumb.png.b17b281c2a300f8c556353a5b5a0673c.png

Dpreview must have updated their info.  We will don't know if line skipping or binning was used to accomplish this.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/nikon-z50-initial-review-what-s-new-how-it-compares/2

What's interesting is that, rather than using a native 3840 x 2160 region of the sensor to give the detailed, but heavily cropped, 4K video as the D500 and D7500 did, they will capture 4K video from the full width of its sensor. We'll investigate how this affects the detail levels as soon as we get a production-spec camera.

3 hours ago, David Bowgett said:

Weird how there seems to be this black hole when it comes to APS-C cameras and IBIS. Damn near every M4/3 and full-frame camera has it nowadays, but on the APS-C front there's only really the A6500 and A6600 that have it (plus some of Pentax's cameras).

Fujifilm's X-H1 too, but you're right. That's the same comment I made on DPReview too. Not sure why APS-C doesn't get the love...

That! I liked my D5300 just fine, apart from the fact that it wasn't a mirrorless camera. Using liveview to take photos and the mirror flipping up and down like that was pretty annoying. They didn't have to stray that far from the D5600. Just make the damn thing mirrorless and give it IBIS, but nah, now you're getting a flipdown frontfacing screen and no IBIS. What the shizzle. Is this 2019 nearing 2020 still!? Stuff like the A6400 as well? Seems like progess is halting rather than making a few more jumps. Would be lovely to have nice S35 counterparts of what Panasonic is doing with MFT...

53 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

That! I liked my D5300 just fine, apart from the fact that it wasn't a mirrorless camera. Using liveview to take photos and the mirror flipping up and down like that was pretty annoying. They didn't have to stray that far from the D5600. Just make the damn thing mirrorless and give it IBIS, but nah, now you're getting a flipdown frontfacing screen and no IBIS. What the shizzle. Is this 2019 nearing 2020 still!? Stuff like the A6400 as well? Seems like progess is halting rather than making a few more jumps. Would be lovely to have nice S35 counterparts of what Panasonic is doing with MFT...

I think they are leaving room for a higher end DX camera with IBIS etc. It seems no one wants to give ibis under 1000. I guess we will have + 1k model as it is too much of a gap between the 2k z6 and this $ 850 model that will soon be 700-800. I see one model below that and one above in the dx line. I guess they won't continue long with their dslr dx line. When you see the af performance in the Jared Polin test, no one is going back to buy any camera withoud nearly full sensor AF and eye AF.

They just published this

1 hour ago, Danyyyel said:

I think they are leaving room for a higher end DX camera with IBIS etc. It seems no one wants to give ibis under 1000. I guess we will have + 1k model as it is too much of a gap between the 2k z6 and this $ 850 model that will soon be 700-800. I see one model below that and one above in the dx line. I guess they won't continue long with their dslr dx line. When you see the af performance in the Jared Polin test, no one is going back to buy any camera withoud nearly full sensor AF and eye AF.

They just published this

seem to be following Sony as the a6400 release video was also skaters not really doing tricks lol

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I m beginning the think the upcoming E-m5 III might be a sexy camera, world class IBIS with PDAF video.. hopefully it can bring 120fps high speed mode with AF.

9 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Pretty boring. Why doesn't it have 10 bit out at least, and what about 4k 60p.

Why is Fuji the only one that is willing to do an interesting APSC camera

I agree with you, but also the XT3 cost significantly more at launch. I wouldnt be surprised if nikon released a pricier APS-C with better video.

At least the z50 looks like it has sensible ergonomics.