Good news to Canon lovers

Vision

Well, It seems Canon listened to their customers.

Many videographers felt angry that Canon did not deliver 24p video capture mode (23.98 fps) on recent cameras.

The first Canon cameras to get 24p video mode through a firmware update in October will be the Canon EOS 90D and EOS RP. The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and PowerShot G5 X Mark II will follow in December, and the EOS M6 Mark II sometime at the beginning of 2020.

Canon press release:

Canon confirm a firmware update to include 24p mode for video recording in recently launched EOS and PowerShot models

London, England – Wednesday 9th October 2019 – In response to customer feedback about the recently launched EOS and PowerShot models, Canon Europe will introduce 24p (23.98fps) mode for video recording, via a series of future firmware updates for select models. Once downloaded, the free firmware updates will enable users to shoot 24p (23.98fps) in Full HD and 4K resolutions for the select models.

The first Canon models to benefit from the new 24p (23.98fps) firmware will be the recently launched EOS 90D and EOS RP in late October. The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and G5 X Mark II will follow by the end of December and the EOS M6 Mark II update will be available during 2020.

This announcement comes after the recent availability of the new firmware version 1.3 for EOS RP and 1.4 for EOS R which further enhances the eye and subject detection AF performance of both mirrorless cameras. Canon is committed to providing a diverse and full line-up of products to cater for all capabilities and interests by listening to our customers feedback and providing enhancements accordingly.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Legitimate question. Is there an email or way to contact Canon in regards to firmware requests or product questions? 

I would like to know why the EOSR can record 4k 25P 10bit externally via the Ninja V...but not 1080p 50p 10bit. Why? What bullshit reason does Canon have for this?

Canon almost never add new features to their cameras via firmware. The fact that they're doing this - and not offering up some lame excuse, such as bugs with the new DIGIC processors that needed ironing out, or that whole "licencing fee" thing - shows that they've finally realised they've made a screw-up of rare proportions.

8 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You mean they intentionally left these features out?!? I don't believe it! 

I heard a rumor it was next to impossible to develop 24p in the software. It would have been too expensive. But then Steve in software development had a break through.

boolean ENABLE24P = true;

13 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You mean they intentionally left these features out?!? I don't believe it! 

Nope, they raised enough money to pay the codec consortium, aka the Illuminati, the 24 cents for 24p.

2 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

Seriously, where are you @Mokara ? 

Wait, did Canon stop paying you to write excuses now that they're putting in 24p?

I don’t think he was being pro-Canon here... it’s like the folks that say, Canon isn’t withholding features, that wouldn’t make any sense... they just don’t have the tech to do it. 

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

I heard a rumor it was next to impossible to develop 24p in the software. It would have been too expensive. But then Steve in software development had a break through.

boolean ENABLE24P = true;

Nope. 25p drops a frame and becomes 24p. The masses are happy and won't know the difference. Easy. 

Other than that they need to add some menu items and pay a team to test that it works in the relevant cameras hardware without introducing any additional bugs. It is a LOT more than just setting a flag.

2 hours ago, Mike Mgee said:

Legitimate question. Is there an email or way to contact Canon in regards to firmware requests or product questions? 

I would like to know why the EOSR can record 4k 25P 10bit externally via the Ninja V...but not 1080p 50p 10bit. Why? What bullshit reason does Canon have for this?

That is probably because of how the ISP was designed. The whole sensor will get read but the data will not all be used in the same way. 50p is twice the amount of data as 25p, so they may not have had the bandwidth in the ISP to accommodate that.

1 hour ago, Patrick B. said:

Wow, it may sound sad but I’m excited about this. ? 24p was one of the main reasons I got an R over an RP (besides c-log). I might pick up an RP as a b-cam now. I didn’t see the new M6 mark ii mentioned but hoping it’s included.

M6ii will also get update to 24p early next year

3 hours ago, mercer said:

I don’t think he was being pro-Canon here... it’s like the folks that say, Canon isn’t withholding features, that wouldn’t make any sense... they just don’t have the tech to do it. 

Kinda true.. When the 90d press releases dropped all of a sudden the main canon shooters here said they dont even shoot 24fps.

Funny how that works.