University education - is it worth it?

Danielius

Maybe a Masters is too much, more appropriate for a career in education, but film making is a very complex field, including both technical and artistic concepts. The old mantra was "education, education, education", the new one is "just look at it from youtube". Both are wrong in my opinion. 

I am in between, starting working in the field when I was 19 years old, and the same time did sound engineering, multimedia computing and programming, BofA in Film and Video (directing) and other unrelated studies. Still have the need to study some more, maybe I will do a course in European Culture and Civilization (4 years BA degree) next year, still thinking about it because it is rather expensive, but education is a huge part of evolution, a proper academic education can make you a better person, not strictly a better professional, but being a more complete person and citizen will help you with your work in unimaginable ways.

Just a few good professionals do youtube videos, most of the youtube crowds, especially the popular ones, are just "some kids".

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think that people get too wrapped up in the fact that the equipment is cheap and they forget that everything else is still the same price. I went to film school and while the career opportunities afterwards left something to be desired, it allowed me to produce work of a far higher production value than I could on my own. I had access to a soundstage, a wide variety of lighting equipment, screening facilities, mixing facilities, production insurance and because my school also had music, art, theater, and acting programs, a steady supply of people who could act in my films, help me build sets and compose my soundtracks. Interacting with other artists from a bunch of different disciplines is crucial to one's artistic growth.

It is also important to recognize that breadth of knowledge does not equal depth. Yeah, YouTube might have a million tutorials on everything, but it doesn't compare to a seasoned professional talking to you in person and showing you what's what. Teachers don't just relay information, they organize it and put it in context so that it makes sense. I took four years of cinema studies classes with some of the best instructors on the planet, and no amount of individual study could've rivaled the quality of education.

The only big issue with film school is the debt. And yes, it's a pain in the ass. Choose wisely and don't go to USC if you can't afford it.

2 hours ago, shooter said:

Great one...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/62357/who-actually-invented-wheel

Youngsters think they can live outside.

The guy talking is older than me!

Most youngsters just order online and consume, that's it. Some of them just consume recycled stuff and renewables.

If the world has to go on and do the right thing, it's us, the 30-50 demographics that design/build/research/work/lead/do right now, or else won't be a planet for anyone else.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:05 PM, KC Kelly said:

Get a Masters in business.  It's applicable to all fields.  It also shows that you're serious about the bottom line, and will help you running your own business.

Great advice.

A classmate of mine received his MBA with an emphasis in video and marketing in 1979 ... jumped to a management position producing all of

MCI/Sprint videos and advertising for over 20 years. He could have easily moved to cinema ... producing and directing had he desired.

The short answer is sacrifice now for a potential long career ... MBA allows you to go anywhere ... Cine or VFX are quite limiting ... and God willing

you will have 50 years to figure out that your passions change with age but a higher degree allows you more control of your present and future.