Do You Think They'll Ever Make a 12k Resolution Camera?

Zach Goodwin2

From what I read on the net, IMAX resolution of 70mm film is 12k. The latest RED camera goes up to 8k resolution. What if someone who makes the next 65mm sensor like that of the Arri Alexa 65, could very well make the next 12k resolution camera? Thus making the idea of film having the most resolution than digital no longer, and digital being better because of technology. I think we are getting close to that point of digital cameras being as good as film cameras. The flatbed scanner for 35mm film is 6k resolution and already there are cameras with the same color scheme and grain texture quality as film cameras. More cameras are having more sophisticated dynamic ranges too.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is not 'if' but 'when' : )

The new Xiaomi camera phone for under $3000, just not at two dozens of frames per second. Not yet.

There are obvious human limitations at the senses level as far as vision concerns, so that's more about the point on:

...is it actually usefulness other than for cropping or large format screening or printing?

Right. Forgot that one : ) Thanks : -)

On a somewhat different PS note: hope it had remained clear I didn't want to attack or embarrass you (as one of my favs over here!), just a few days ago in that other thread, only to address that point I felt I had to : ) As explained then, written expression is invariably limited to let you know all about details on the author's intentions.

Will they ever make one?

Yes.

However I'd like to point out that surpassing the equivalent resolution of film is not the same as "digital being better" than film. We've probably already surpassed the equivalent resolution of s35 film but plenty of DOP's still prefer film for qualities like it's highlight rolloff. In fact resolution is probably rarely even a factor these days when it comes time to choose between digital or film.

In reality, IMAX 65mm/70mm film is not 12K (theoretically it's 18K). Taking into account image degradation during processing, printing, handling, storage and exhibition. The actual perceived resolution is around 6K to 8K. That's why most of the VFX shots in the Dark Knight IMAX sequence were rendered in 5.6K, after numerous tests and comparisons.

Also GFX100 is technically a 12K camera (if you shoot time-lapse with it). For strictly motion picture camera running >24fps, 8K is the end.

This is an interesting series from Steve Yedlin that goes into this and uses IMAX and 35mm film and all sorts of digital cameras. 

http://yedlin.net/ResDemo/index.html

Is debayer processing getting better or will there still need to be 12k of bayer to get 8k RGB ? After watching the resolution demo, and understanding some of it, I don't think it matters though.