A9 ii announced, nothing to see

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This part is really cool though! 

Designed to improve the speed of news agencies’ workflow, the Alpha 9 II features a new Voice Memo function that allows spoken information to be attached to images in the form of voice memos that can be replayed when the images are reviewed. The voice data can also be included with images sent to an editor, giving them important information needed for effective editing. Alternatively, a field photographer can also use the ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on’ “Imaging Edge™” application[vi] to transfer voice tags with the images to their mobile device and have the voice memos automatically[vii] converted to text and added to the JPEG images in the form of IPTC metadata[viii]. All of this can be done automatically or manually, selectable by the photographer.

I'd love for this to come to video on their other cameras. Imagine how much faster piecing together edits would be!

• Super Members

For their intended professional live editorial photographer market, they've addressed a couple of big issues with the higher fps mechanical shutter (though 10fps still leaves it quite a way behind the D5/1DXii) and the connectivity options for file transmission.

Not sure why its taken them over two years of extremely low (if any) penetration into that particular market to react to what were blindingly obvious shortcomings in the original and I can't see it making much difference against the Nikon/Canon duopoly.

4 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

This part is really cool though! 

I'd love for this to come to video on their other cameras. Imagine how much faster piecing together edits would be!

The add voice memo has been in Nikon and Canon's pro bodies for years (D3 was the first one I used it on) and its a great feature, particularly when your images are being remote edited.

The speech to text aspect with the A9 is very interesting but it ties you in to their app which means another step in the workflow as you have to pass it through that to get to your real editing app. For sports though, the use of key code shortcuts to generate captions (e.g. When I type "l10p sc1 tmi l1 r0 tag" into my caption field it instantly converts it to "Liverpool striker Sadio Mane scores their first goal to make it Liverpool 1 Red Bull Salzburg 0 in the UEFA Champions League Group E match at Anfield stadium, Liverpool, UK on 2nd October 2019") is such a vital part of the workflow that it won't offer any speed benefit at all unless they can tie that facility in to it.

As caption accuracy is non-negotiable then I'd also be worried about it getting a few wrong while it was learning my voice !

3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah and the sensor has such a high readout speed there really is no reason this thing shouldn't have at least 4K 60p

Apparently they were asked about why the sensor was the same on the conference call, and their response was that the processing power to handle a new sensor was not ready quite yet, according to Jared Polin. The camera does have the latest variant of the Bionz X though. It suggests that there is a new sensor that they have not used yet because of processing requirements, and that the processor to do that is on the way but not quite ready.

I would guess they needed to release the a9II in time for the Olympics, so they used the processors they had. But since it has the Bionz X the video specs would be the same.

I suspect that the next processor will come with the a7SIII, since they will need improved video specs for that system.

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

Meh...

Every new Sony announcement has me feeling like the a7s3 is going to be a major dud - from rolling out the same damn sensors across the board except for the a7r4 and the endless 8-bit parade, I'm expecting very little from the s3 beyond the Z battery and the new AF. 

Chris

I think they are going to pull a Canon and go for the upsell, FX6 will be what we want in the a7siii

They keep saying what is important for sport shooters is communication and workflow.. ok, that's right..  but you're asking $4500 and after 2 years you didn't even bother upgrading the processor (overclock it a bit here and there and call it new!). Apple tripled the performance of their SoC and added tons of new capabilities in that period. What about.. say sport shooter want to do something other than shooting sport and sending the image to news agency? What about enthusiasts?

29 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

They keep saying what is important for sport shooters is communication and workflow.. ok, that's right..  but you're asking $4500 and after 2 years you didn't even bother upgrading the processor (overclock it a bit here and there and call it new!). Apple tripled the performance of their SoC and added tons of new capabilities in that period. What about.. say sport shooter want to do something other than shooting sport and sending the image to news agency? What about enthusiasts?

To be fair, Apple et al. have also been using the same imaging modules for years now and only improved the processing speed and added computational tricks. Samsung is 100% guilty of this, maybe someone can confirm specs sheets for Apple. Sensor tech has stalled quite a bit, not a lot of progress there - mostly faster readout, but sensitivity hasn't really improved.