GoPro Hero 8 Coming soon

IANWHITE

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I have noticed with gopro footage as well as drone footage that it tends to look crap on YouTube. I am guessing the youtube bitrate even in 4k isn't enough to keep up with the fast movements that these type of cameras are usually used for. Constantly changing terrain needs a good bitrate. 

I just got a drone but I may only use it for slower Aerial shots, as far as youtube goes. 

Yes, add in foliage that is often in these actions shots and it turns into a complete muddy mess. I also think over sharpening contributes to the crappy codec encoding quality. 

3 hours ago, hk908 said:

All the footage from 360 cams I've seen on youtube look like a huge tradeoff in video quality. I can't tell if that's youtube destroying it or if 5K just isn't enough yet for 360 capture/reframing. It'll be a great tool for my job once the quality improves.

5K isn't yet enough for reframing.  Think about it - if you have 5K over 360 degrees, and want to crop in to a hFOV of 90 degrees (FF equivalent of 18mm) then you're cropping in 4x to the footage, which if you keep the same aspect ratio will be 1/16th of the bitrate.  So, a 5K 100Mbps would work out to be a 1.2K image at 6.25Mbps.  and this example is cropping in to FF 18mm which is still very very wide!!  Crop in to a 28mm and it's 900pixels wide at 0.02Mbps.

This is why I maintain that the MP wars aren't anywhere near over when it comes to capturing for VR - an 8K image doesn't fair that much better in that sense.  If you want to capture an image that simulates retina resolution, it will probably be 100K+ image.