Would this iMac be capable of editing raw 2.5k footage off the BMCC and using Davinci Resolve?

Harrison Geraghty

I'm finally updating my computer situation and have recently purchased the BMCC camera (along with the Bolex Anamorphot 8/19/1.5x anamorphic lens which I will add test videos to that section when I'm able) and want to shoot in 2.5k raw primarily for short films. I would like to know if this computer is capable of that, I appreciate this seems like a lazy question but I have spent time researching it but would like a fellow forum geek to affirm my decision. Thanks and sorry for being so cheeky. 

post-33197-0-38799200-1384825106_thumb.p

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

I plan to get the BMCC next month also. Since Harrison's question seems to have been answered and my own is related, I'd like to know about doing the same on the following computer. Or is it under spec'ed? I do plan to order more RAM (via OWC) and to work off of an external SSD, whether I get a newer computer or not.

Hopefully no one minds. Thanks for any help.

spec.jpg

I plan to get the BMCC next month also. Since Harrison's question seems to have been answered and my own is related, I'd like to know about doing the same on the following computer. Or is it under spec'ed? I do plan to order more RAM (via OWC) and to work off of an external SSD, whether I get a newer computer or not.

Hopefully no one minds. Thanks for any help.

The GTX 660M does not have enough vram to run resolve. You really need to get the 680MX in that version of the 2012 iMac.

I will likely look into that one or newer, as I'd like to run Resolve. Thanks for the info, HurtinMinorKey.

On rethinking the above, I actually also have an older 2008 Mac Pro tower here that I hadn't considered. It has a default ATI 2600XT GPU. Any suggestions for GPU upgrades? I'm hoping that marrying the Mac Pro with a LED display or such would not only be the cheaper route, in my case, but would also allow me to repurpose it.

I will likely look into that one or newer, as I'd like to run Resolve. Thanks for the info, HurtinMinorKey.

On rethinking the above, I actually also have an older 2008 Mac Pro tower here that I hadn't considered. It has a default ATI 2600XT GPU. Any suggestions for GPU upgrades? I'm hoping that marrying the Mac Pro with a LED display or such would not only be the cheaper route, in my case, but would also allow me to repurpose it.

I think the 680 GTX will work with your old mac pro

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=970416&Q=&is=REG&A=details

This is significantly more powerful than the 680MX mentioned above, but it's not cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for responding, I was going to invest in one of these for editing purposes: 

http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-3241-g-tech-g-raid-7200rpm-thunderbolt.aspx?source=paidclick&gclid=CJW5tJ_97rsCFUnjwgod60gAQA

Would this be a suitable external device for colour correction and editing? With this external device will I get real time playback and if not will it at least be relatively speedy? 

I intend to put the rushes I want to use on that drive, edit the finished film in 2.5k raw and then delete the rushes and keep using it for a project to project basis storing the finalized films onto cheaper g drives. Thanks again for your response.