Better preamp. Zoom H1N or Rode Wireless GO or sending it to Zoom F4 with automix

Martin Matěj

Hello, I would like to ask how do you think I should set my Rode Wireless Go when I am recording the signal from it on Zoom H1N.

There are two gain settings on RWG and 10 marks of gain on ZOOM H1N.

Right now I used first step of gain on RWG so it was in half and something like 6 or 7 on Zoom H1N.

Or you think it really doesnt matter because the quality of both preamps is similar.

Also one more question do you think I could have like 3 sets of RWG going into Zoom F4 and with it's automix feature just let it change the gain automatically for each speaker with RWG and then just send it to GH5 set to -12 dB gain for minimum noise and fast turnaround.

Thanks a lot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Martin Matěj said:

Hello, I would like to ask how do you think I should set my Rode Wireless Go when I am recording the signal from it on Zoom H1N.

There are two gain settings on RWG and 10 marks of gain on ZOOM H1N.

Right now I used first step of gain on RWG so it was in half and something like 6 or 7 on Zoom H1N.

Or you think it really doesnt matter because the quality of both preamps is similar.

Also one more question do you think I could have like 3 sets of RWG going into Zoom F4 and with it's automix feature just let it change the gain automatically for each speaker with RWG and then just send it to GH5 set to -12 dB gain for minimum noise and fast turnaround.

Thanks a lot

I'd try to output as loud of a signal to the H1n as I'd need. The H1n has very good preamps but I think it's better to let the RODE do the "heavy lifting."

Re: automix, you could if you really need a quick and dirty audio mix. It's not the ideal solution but there are times when I've used auto gain/mix when I had no other option. 

On 9/28/2019 at 1:57 AM, Martin Matěj said:

going into Zoom F4 and with it's automix feature just let it change the gain automatically for each speaker

That's not how automix works, it's not the same as autogain. 

The fader values are being changed for the mix, but not the trim gain.

On 9/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, newfoundmass said:

but I think it's better to let the RODE do the "heavy lifting."

Depends on the wireless, some are designed to be run at full blast, others are not. 
Test for yourself and find out! 

Thanks for the answers.

So what would you recommned when I would like to livestream the speaker, moderator and mic from audience and want it to sound decent and I am the only guy to record video and sound.

I would also love if it would save me time in post and I wouldn't have to change the volume of the sound tracks manually in post. Would the automix help me or not?

Should I also use auto gain or just set appropriate levels for the speaker and moderator and be ready to change the gain manually for questions from audience because their volume will probably differ a lot.

22 hours ago, Martin Matěj said:

Should I also use auto gain

Don't ever use auto gain. And like I said, that isn't at all the same as automixing!

22 hours ago, Martin Matěj said:

and be ready to change the gain manually for questions from audience because their volume will probably differ a lot.

Subtitles? ha!

Or get a handheld mic to pass around the audience. Or have people queue up to ask the questions in front of a mic. 

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Or get a handheld mic to pass around the audience. Or have people queue up to ask the questions in front of a mic. 

Well I will have a mic to pass around audience. It was a smallrig side handle for ronin S where I mounted rode video micro with sennheiser G4 transmitter and it worked. Now I will have 2 sets of Rode wireless go so I will use that instead and G4 on moderator.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will have to search more about what really is that automix and faders. But when I tried to find more about automix I was unable to find much info. What I understood was that it just fades the person who is not speaking so you don't hear as much ambiance noise and when the person starts speaking again the fade should dissapear. 

19 minutes ago, Martin Matěj said:

But when I tried to find more about automix I was unable to find much info. What I understood was that it just fades the person who is not speaking so you don't hear as much ambiance noise and when the person starts speaking again the fade should dissapear. 

That's not the same as autogain though. 

Autogain is when the volume is adjusted automatically up or down based on the volume of the input. For instance, if a speaker lowers their voice it will add gain to boost the audio. 

Automix handles the mixing of the audio automatically, fading in and out in the mix based on whether there's any audio or not. Think of it as what you do after you've set your audio gain / levels. 

Autogain and Automix aren't ideal. I'd only recommend using either as a last resort. When I'm a one man crew and am absolutely unable to monitor multiple audio recorders I'll use autogain unless I know the person knows to speak at a consistent level. 

They're not a substitute for having someone handling all of that. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Think of it as what you do after you've set your audio gain / levels. 

This. 

Autogain and Automix aren't ideal. I'd only recommend using either as a last resort.

Agreed again. 

When I'm a one man crew and am absolutely unable to monitor multiple audio recorders I'll use autogain unless I know the person knows to speak at a consistent level. 

This sentence is probably the only point I disagree with you in your entire post. 

Even if a person's volume is going to be all over the place, it is better to conservatively set your gain (ideally set to dual levels, like can be done in the Zoom F series and most Tascams) and only end up having a small part of your audio ruined than to use AG and get it mostly ruined anyway. 

The only time I ever ever use AG is when I'm rushed and I just want to quickly set up the scratch mic on a camera, and I know this (the on camera audio) is audio which will never ever ever be used in the final edit.