Panasonic G9 hybrid capabilities

MrSMW

Quite simply, can it be switched back and forth between stills and video, ie, be a true hybrid, without losing any settings each time?

Current XH1 and XT3 user and both can do this with the ‘silent mode’ setting.

Looking hard at changing my current set up from a 3 body/7 lenses to a 2 body/3 lens set up and the G9 is very high on that list...if it has true hybrid capability.

Read/watched many reviews and cannot find a definitive answer so hoping someone here has this particular beast and can answer my question.

In advance, cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm kinda confused. Are you looking for your settings to carry over from photo to video? Or the ability to change from photo and video without losing your respective settings? 

From my memory you don't lose your settings when switching from photo to video when using any of the newer Panasonic cameras. When switching back to video on my GH5 and G85 it has the last settings I used in video mode. I don't think the G9 is any different. 

Panasonic cameras have the ability to set up custom settings on the mode dial, allowing you to switch seamlessly. You could set C1 to the settings you want for video and then C2 the settings you want for photo. For instance I've set them up for the different video modes I shoot in. 

The G9 is very good for video, though it does lack some of the video centric features of the GH5. I debated getting one as a b-cam for my GH5 but the record limit was a deal breaker for me. 

@newfoundmass

the latter, ie, separate settings for photo & video ie, basically have 2 cameras in 1 body with respective settings for each type of capture.

It sounds like it’s the case and when back in the UK in a few weeks, will go and have a play in a camera shop. Maybe take a card and shoot something even if it is attached to an anti theft cord!

On 9/28/2019 at 8:07 AM, MrSMW said:

@newfoundmass

the latter, ie, separate settings for photo & video ie, basically have 2 cameras in 1 body with respective settings for each type of capture.

It sounds like it’s the case and when back in the UK in a few weeks, will go and have a play in a camera shop. Maybe take a card and shoot something even if it is attached to an anti theft cord!

I have the G9 and by using the Cx presets you are perfectly able to do that. For video f.e. i use CineD while using the Natural mode in the "A" mode.