New Nikon D5300 with Expeed 4

Aussie Ash

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

Bucketload of D5300 + Atamos Ninja videos. Shame they're on MushTube and compressed to within an inch of their life. My best guess is that the footage is indeed sharper (no surprise), but still not really sharp.

I don't know how the Ninja works, but I think I'm seeing interlacing during pans + tilts, which I don't like at all. Perhaps the shooter had the Ninja set up wrong?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you. We are very new to a filming world, but trying to progress and improve. At the time we shot this music video, we were not familiar with Flaat and other picture controls, which can give more dynamics and a more suitable image for later colour corrections. Now we have started to use it. Before we bought the D5200, we had done an extensive analysis and we are happy with both decisions now. So it was easier to decide on the D5300, which could be worth a deeper review by Andrew Reid.

The DSLR video camera that I've been wanting for years still does not exist -- especially from Nikon. But I think the 5300 is really close.

Is it my imagination, or does 720p @ 60fps almost jello-free? (Such minimal rolling shutter that it's not even noticed?)

I need to read the specs agaon for storage, burst shooting, etc. Very tempted!

• Administrators

Great stills, indeed. It has a superb sensor for that.

But taken purely from the perspective of video, it's all very 2010.

The $799 doesn't really excuse it from being so low on innovation either. For this you can almost get a Pocket Cinema Camera and a much more cinematic image. Or you can get a more video optimised mirrorless camera with more features.

The D5300 does not even enable me to properly mask off the LCD to 16:9, that's how little thought Nikon have put into it for video.

OK say you have $1999 to spend in total. If you're not too serious about video you might be happy enough spending $799 on the Nikon and spend the rest on lenses. But in light of the upcoming GH4 it makes no sense to invest in the D5300. I understand well that $799 might be the budget and nothing more. In that case, get the older D5200 for $400 and spend the rest on a lens.

I've got at least a dozen quality lenses for the Nikons. And I want the 35mm look for what's shot, not the camcorder look. What I want doesn't yet exist, but it gets closer to every generation.

Yeah, the 5300 is a cheap camera (my main body is a Nikon D3s), and DSLR makers are rather slow to compared to other video camera tech. But there's some appealing things to the 5300 -- (1) the video shooting and (2) the lack of low-pass filter for shooting.

If I wanted a truly better camera, I'd grab a Canon or Sony in the $5k to $15k range. But I want to cut some costs corners. Shooting video is mostly hobby. (Just the shooting part,)

I need to look at the Blackmagic cams more -- lens option especially. So-so lens would be a killer for me.

• Administrators

I felt the same way you do about the D5300, when the GH2 came out, so I understand where you're coming from. The D5300 does have an attractive price and it gets the job done. But seriously, think about the future and where things are heading. Wouldn't it be far better to wait until after NAB and to see what else is on offer? Even if you end up having to push towards the $1999 range or get the GH4, it would be money well spent in my book.

Want Super 35mm, 1080/60p, good low light? Consider GX7 with Nikon Speed Booster or a used Sony FS100.

Also I'd question why so much importance is placed on Super 35mm sized sensors, 1080/60p. Good low light I can appreciate more and the D5300 certainly has that.

I think when people see the review, it might be divisive and start a few arguments... Remember it is just my opinion and what works best for me might not necessarily be right for you, so consider your own views ahead of mine.

Andrew - I purchased a D5300 after taking a careful look at the BMPCC.  It came down to the kind of work I am doing, and the kind of look and feel I want from the resulting footage.  I do not want a "cinema" look - I shoot documentary, and the D5300 is delivering that for me very effectively. 

It's really a shame they didn't at least put a headphone jack on the D5300. 

When I use my Ninja II for an external recorder, it has a headset jack that you can hear either the incamera mic or the external one thru the HDMI port.

It can also hear recorded sound from an ampified mic or other sound system plugged into the Ninja mic port

http://***URL not allowed***/?p=23465

Cinema 5d has done a little review and states that it is the best image out of an Apsc dslr and very frustrating to use. Unfortunately for me as always we read more than we see. It seems that putting this camera side by side of another camera to show how it behaves in terms of DR, resolution, low light etc is too much. I hope someone does a good thorough test of this camera, looking at the response I guess the Nikon is starting to get some momentum in the video dslr users even if it is not fancy enough.

I had to laugh at the Cinema 5d review Danyyyel.A guy like Brandon Li accepts the quirks of using a 5200/5300

and is happy to  shoot interviews with it.!!

Brandon Li used it for the last several months to shoot interviews for the Yahoo! original web series â€œThe Girl’s Gameâ€. He has also been testing it a bit for run-and-gun documentary-style shooting. Audio is Sony ICD-SX712u portable recorders and Azden lavalier mics.

• 3 weeks later...

Review now published - '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Please post further discussion on that thread.

Cheers

Not sure why you butchered this video by downgrading it and reducing it to 24P unless you hate Nikon.

I am not a film maker but am getting better results than this with my D5300 at 1080P 60

even at 6400 and 12800 ISO.

What lens was used and at what f stop?

Was the glass even clean?

I agree that the GH4 should be much better, at twice the price.

Even so, I have ordered one to get better ISO, AF, Monitors, Processor, etc. than my GH3.

However, if Nikon could just activate continuous shooting in their firmware I would be back.

• 2 months later...