New Nikon D5300 with Expeed 4

Aussie Ash

Grabbed a few shots of Durham Cathedral last night. Some of it looks like crap I know, but I persevere.

https://vimeo.com/85432810

SHOT WITH:
Nikon D5300
Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIs (wide-open and f8)
Neutral Profile (contrast right down, sharpness at 2)
ISO 3200 and 6400 (Durham Cathederal was lit, but it was otherwise very dark to the naked eye)
25fps; 1/50" and 1/30" shutter speed (the D5300 won't go below 1/30" in manual movie mode, which is annoying as the UK is on a 50Hz grid)
All handheld.

Neat Video applied to all shots
Sharpening 3.5% (I'm still not convinced I'm getting optimum sharpness out of this camera)
Stabilization: some shots use FCP 10.1's new "InertiaCam", which is extremely good with some shots, not so good with others. I haven't figured out the logic yet. There are a lot of unpleasant stabilization artefacts in this video - I tried the Lock & Load free trial but it didn't do much better than FCP's SmoothCam, so I'm not sure about buying it. Perhaps I should persevere with keyframing a bit more before deciding. InertiCam did much better than L&L with certain shots.

Music: Slight Night Shiver by M83

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Grabbed a few shots of Durham Cathedral last night. Some of it looks like crap I know, but I persevere.

https://vimeo.com/85432810

SHOT WITH:
Nikon D5300
Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIs (wide-open and f8)
Neutral Profile (contrast right down, sharpness at 2)
ISO 3200 and 6400 (Durham Cathederal was lit, but it was otherwise very dark to the naked eye)
25fps; 1/50" and 1/30" shutter speed (the D5300 won't go below 1/30" in manual movie mode, which is annoying as the UK is on a 50Hz grid)
All handheld.

Neat Video applied to all shots
Sharpening 3.5% (I'm still not convinced I'm getting optimum sharpness out of this camera)
Stabilization: some shots use FCP 10.1's new "InertiaCam", which is extremely good with some shots, not so good with others. I haven't figured out the logic yet. There are a lot of unpleasant stabilization artefacts in this video - I tried the Lock & Load free trial but it didn't do much better than FCP's SmoothCam, so I'm not sure about buying it. Perhaps I should persevere with keyframing a bit more before deciding. InertiCam did much better than L&L with certain shots.

Music: Slight Night Shiver by M83

DR and lowlight look great. Just too soft. Wonder if HDMI would fix that.

DR and lowlight look great. Just too soft. Wonder if HDMI would fix that.

I have, occasionally, been able to get nice sharp footage out of this camera, I just haven't figured out how to replicate it consistently.

Softness in these shots can be put down largely to:

- shooting wide open and being a bit casual with my focusing

- 1/30" shutter on some shots + handheld

- Neat video used extensively

- FCP stabilization artefacts can distort edges

Add to that the fact that it's not a Panasonic and you have some pretty mushy footage. 

I've read loads of stuff saying the D5200 is as sharp as a hacked GH2. I can't believe it myself. I have a G6 and it's waaaay sharper than the 5300, even with sharpening in post. But I have been able to get sharpness that I'm very comfortable with out of th the 5300. I'll hopefully be able to do some thorough testing soon.

But yes, DR and low light are incredible. If you can coax decent sharpness out of it (and I'm sure you can), in terms of image quality this has to be the best all-round low-bitrate ILC around at the moment: 

best DR in its class (with flat profile matches Pocket?)

superb low light

Nikon colour science

50/60p

S35 sized sensor

can be sharp!!!

Handling-wise I like it - 3.2" articulated screen, plus it's very small and light but feels solid. But the buttons and settings are a bit of a pain in the neck. I wouldn't like to use it for run & gun. My G6 is MUCH easier to shoot with on the fly.

The biggest problem with the D5200, in my opinion, is the absolute junk LCD resolution. It's the worst LCD screen I've ever encountered, making setting critical focus difficult. I wonder if the new D5300 LCD is any better, doubtful. I love the video the D5200 produces, and as a previous post stated, although the ability to change aperture in live view isn't possible, and the fact this model will not meter a fully manual lens, it is relatively easy to expose by eye. If you look at enough histograms, this becomes second nature, and add to the fact, a lot of times the camera meter isn't even close to displaying a proper exposure level. With all that said, in my opinion, the best bang for your buck when it comes to shooting video with a Nikon is the D7100. It is a big leap forward from the D5200, and one you might consider.

Appleidiot the D5300 has a larger and higher quality screen than the 5200 ,here is Andrew's comments from 19 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

"Just tried one, first impressions...

Screen is very nice. Biggest on any camera and very good quality.

There's a new manual focus assist - ultra detailed but slow frame rate."
The D7100 is likely to be replaced by a new model with Expeed 4 so it's probably worth waiting to see
what the new model is capable of shooting .

Guest 89e2bdf5797fbbdc17c2cc6da1413fa0

The biggest problem with the D5200, in my opinion, is the absolute junk LCD resolution. It's the worst LCD screen I've ever encountered, making setting critical focus difficult. I wonder if the new D5300 LCD is any better, doubtful. I love the video the D5200 produces, and as a previous post stated, although the ability to change aperture in live view isn't possible, and the fact this model will not meter a fully manual lens, it is relatively easy to expose by eye. If you look at enough histograms, this becomes second nature, and add to the fact, a lot of times the camera meter isn't even close to displaying a proper exposure level. With all that said, in my opinion, the best bang for your buck when it comes to shooting video with a Nikon is the D7100. It is a big leap forward from the D5200, and one you might consider.

The D5300 is superior to the 7100. Read the thread - all the info is here  :)

@Matt James Smith, depends upon what you define as superior. Image quality, I don't think so, at least I can't see it, and I've seen many images from both cameras. I could mix footage from the D5200, D5300, and the D7100, and you'd be guessing which is which.

The D7100 has many feature the D5200 and D5300 do not have. Dual card slots, yeah, nice to have. The fact it meters a non-CPU lens, yeah, kinda nice to have, I could go on, but what's the point. They're all nice cameras, I'm just of the opinion the D7100 has some pretty fair advantages over the other two.

@Matt James Smith, depends upon what you define as superior. Image quality, I don't think so, at least I can't see it, and I've seen many images from both cameras. I could mix footage from the D5200, D5300, and the D7100, and you'd be guessing which is which.

The D7100 has many feature the D5200 and D5300 do not have. Dual card slots, yeah, nice to have. The fact it meters a non-CPU lens, yeah, kinda nice to have, I could go on, but what's the point. They're all nice cameras, I'm just of the opinion the D7100 has some pretty fair advantages over the other two.

If you showed me any low light footage or gave me footage with shadows to grade from all 3 cameras, I'd be able to tell the 5300 straight away - because the 7100 and 5200 have horrible FPN/banding in low light. This also allows the use of flat profiles, which gives the D5300 the best dynamic range of any non-RAW HDSLR/CSC. The D5300 also has 50/60p. This is all thanks mainly to the updated processor (Expeed 4).

Yes the image is very similar, but the D5300 improves upon the 5200/7100 significantly and loses nothing. Also, dual card slots don't have much significance for video do they? The 5300 screen is larger than the 5200, more detailed and focus assist is better. And for video an articulated screen is very useful, which the 7100 doesn't have.

I agree that metering with non-CPU glass would be very nice, but that is the only advantage of the 7100. In terms of image, the 5300 is simply an improvement.

Interesting, I'll have to have a look at the D5300, although, the deal breaker will be that LCD screen, it had better be night and day better than the D5200's. Dual card slots can be handy in many video situations, sure, not a critical addition, be none-the-less handy. One other issue, well maybe not an issue, is getting an EVF for the D5200 or D5300, I've not found anyone making a HDMI lock port, and as you well know, that's a costly repair if you bend those pins. I guess in time that may all come to market. I will say, you've got me interested in checking out this camera!

I will say, you've got me interested in checking out this camera!

The 5300 is definitely an improvement on the image of the 5200/7100, but as you say it is very similar. If I already had a 7100 I'd find it a very hard decision whether or not to upgrade (I did't own a Nikon before I bought the 5300 so didn't have that problem). There are some interesting cameras on the horizon this year (e.g.GH4), and the 5300 isn't the cheapest low-end DSLR atm. If you mainly want the camera for video, and can sell the 7100 for a price close to a new 5300, I'd consider a straight swap. Otherwise it's not a clear decision unless you really need 50/60p or you have problems with banding currently. :)

I own a D5200, and I'm looking to upgrade, which is why I'm interested in the D7100. It is a tough decision, the images of the D5300 do look fantastic. There are a lot of features the D7100 has that I really like, another I never mentioned is the ability to set a manual Kelvin White balance.
There's just many little features of that camera, that to me, are significant. However, as one person posted, it's just a matter of time before the D7100 is replaced with an expeed 4 processor. I think I'll trade up for the D5300, and wait and see where Nikon goes with the D7100.

Thanks again for all your input!

I own a D5200, and I'm looking to upgrade, which is why I'm interested in the D7100. It is a tough decision, the images of the D5300 do look fantastic. There are a lot of features the D7100 has that I really like, another I never mentioned is the ability to set a manual Kelvin White balance.
There's just many little features of that camera, that to me, are significant. However, as one person posted, it's just a matter of time before the D7100 is replaced with an expeed 4 processor. I think I'll trade up for the D5300, and wait and see where Nikon goes with the D7100.

Thanks again for all your input!

I own a D7100. The banding pattern is there... but you can fight it.

I'm really thinking on changing for a D5300 because of the image improvements, but the "Pro" controls is something that is holding me back, hard decision.  Maybe just wait for some kind of "D7200" coming soon.

So is it me or others have been coming here for about 10 days to 2 week, to see about the D5300 review. In between I saw two cameras that I consider completely outdated or unusable for most film-makers. One is a typical Sony with its psychedelic images, giving us some beautiful moire/aliasing in 2014 and the other one it was too difficult to put 3 lines of code to put 24 fps in their camera. It is telling how much these camera will make any impact to the world of film-makers by the number of post that they generated in their respective thread.

On the contrary I cannot understand the slack that Nikon got here, because it gave us Moire/alias free, high DR, very good low light and the possibility for uncompressed 422 output for $ 800 and perhaps even less with the D3300. Looking at the 15 more page that the D5300 has generated, I guess that this camera is generating much more interest that the 2 dud reviewed before it.

Hello, colleagues!

Which exact camera settings are controlled, when "Manual movie settings" is on OFF mode?

Using a vintage f1.4 lens in manual mode with "Manual movie settings" - OFF, I get better results in low light conditions. The scene is quite correctly lightened and with very little noise. Once I like the view on the LCD screen, I press AE-Lock button. So, and vice versa when using manual movie settings. In order to get the same brightness, with high manual ISO settings the scene is much noisier. 

Or maybe I'm mistaken... What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Zilvinas

Hello, colleagues!

What exact camera settings are controlled, when "Manual movie settings" is on OFF mode?

Using a vintage f1.4 lens in manual mode with "Manual movie settings" - OFF, I get better results in low light conditions. The scene is quite correctly lighted and with very little noise. Once I like the view on the LCD screen, I press AE-Lock button. So, and vice versa when using manual movie settings. In order to get the same brightness, with high manual ISO settings the scene is much noisier. 

Or maybe I'm mistaken... What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Zilvinas

It's possible in-camera noise reduction will be turned up high for high ISO shots when in auto mode.