New Nikon D5300 with Expeed 4

Aussie Ash

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First outing with my new MonoCam (Glidecam style stabiliser).

D5300 + Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI-s, 50p conformed. 

I need a wider lens and more practice.

Interesting stabilizer. Be sure to post more footage that you shoot with that one, I want to see!

Do you think that stabilizer could take more weight, something like a D800 with 16-35mm lens (around 1.5kg)?

I got all my info on the MonoCam from Nitsan Simantov, who is very experienced with Glidecam style stabilisers and he thinks it's the best one. I don't have any experience of any other stabilisers, but can vouch for everything he says about the MonoCam. Here's a couple of his YouTube reviews of it:

It's extremely neat and compact compared to a glidecam, much cheaper, and very simple to use (though takes a lot of practice to balance and fly as they all do). I believe it can take any camera from the smallest compact to the largest DSLR. If you have a heavy rig I suppose you may want to buy extra weights, but you can just lengthen the monopod instead. The seller can advise you about cameras I'm sure.

You can only get them on ebay as far as I know, but the seller I bought it from - orpheus_c - was very professional and it arrived very quickly. Nitsan recommended him. I got the MonoCam CF Pro (without feet).

Don't laugh... trying to get up to speed quickly with several totally unscientific tests at once. Testing, practicing, several things in this series of clips. The first of each 2, is using the Flaat 11 profile, then playing with grading and using various LUTs. Mostly the 3strip one. The second of each 2 is using a modified Standard picture profile with saturation +1 and contrast -3. Same playing with grading and LUTs. 

I just got a budget Kamerar slider and haven't got the hang of it yet, but you have to start somewhere with the practicing. ;) Anyone know if it's ok to put something slick like oil or graphite on a slider? Or, best to leave it dry and just practice your technique for smoother results?

Used a Nikon 18-200VR lens at 60p. ISOs between 100-300

Any suggestions to improve results are welcome.

Here's the YouTube version. Will add the Vimeo version when it's finished.

Also.. with regard to the spots that don't look so smooth... just realized I had VR activated on the lens and also auto-stabilized in FCP X. That was all likely over-kill and I'm sure effected the smoothness of the slide and introduced some software stuttering as well. I think I just need more practice with the sliding/pushing. Seemed to get a little better with each try.

​I'm tempted to just delete these "tests" but I figured others might benefit and learn from my mistakes. :)

Here's the vimeo upload: 

I've just realised I had my screen gamma calibrated to 1.8 for all of my D5300 tests so far, so everyone watching at 2.2 (most of you I imagine) if you thought the shadows looked crushed, that is why!

If you play with a downloaded file in your NLE you can see there is more info there ...

All the parts of my new GH3 with 14-140 lens came yesterday.

I used it this morning to record my bowling practice.

As a stand alone unit for over 10 minutes of Video I find it unbeatable.

These are my impressions that may change after I dial in both cameras.

Things I like more about the GH3

1. Unlimited recording

2. Much better AFF

3. More depth of field

Things I like more about the D5300.

1. Much better image quality

2. Much better color

3. Much Higher usable ISO

Today, I set both cameras up side by side to record the same subject at the same time.

I used neutral profile with -5 settings on the GH3 and shot the in-camera MOV at 50 Mbps at ISO 1600 with the 14-140 lens

Neutral with default settings on the D5300 using in-camera MOV (MPEG-4) at 37 Mbps at ISO 1600 with the 18-140 Nikkor

The Video quality was nearly equal. At default Vivid the were also nearly equal.

The GH3 at higher ISO or at the lower bit rate of 28 Mbps (.MTS) were not as good as the D5300 at ISO 12800.

Tonight, I ordered a speedbooster so I could use my Nikkors on the GH3 in low light.

• Administrators

Today I bought a Nikon D5300 for review, and a bit of shooting, but mainly for the blog with intention of sending it back after.

Well, so far it is surprising me.

The dynamic range with the flat picture profile is really quite something. Head to toe with ProRes on the Blackmagic Pocket Camera. I'd put it at 12 stops. Very good colour and good shadows, and again good low light performance. The codec in 1080/60p seems ok so far too. The main drawback seems to be the cheap-mid-range Nikon ergonomics (not enough buttons and dials). Wish they had put this video mode (and articulated screen) in the D7100 instead.

But so far so good peeps!

Today I bought a Nikon D5300 for review, and a bit of shooting, but mainly for the blog with intention of sending it back after.

Well, so far it is surprising me.

The dynamic range with the flat picture profile is really quite something. Head to toe with ProRes on the Blackmagic Pocket Camera. I'd put it at 12 stops. Very good colour and good shadows, and again good low light performance. The codec in 1080/60p seems ok so far too. The main drawback seems to be the cheap-mid-range Nikon ergonomics (not enough buttons and dials). Wish they had put this video mode (and articulated screen) in the D7100 instead.

But so far so good peeps!

Ha!!! As I've been saying all along the lack of banding makes this camera quite a different proposition to the 5200!  :)

Personally I like the ergonomics now I'm used to fumbling for the buttons (it's almost the same size and weight as a G6). Presumably the D7200 will have similar video spec with a chunkier body, though minus the LCD.

My main issue is I don't think I'm getting as much sharpness out of the 5300 as I could (I've seen D5200 stuff that seems to be sharper). I have sharpness dialled right down in the camera, then usually add about +4 notches in FCPX. I don't think it's the glass as I use mostly Nikkor primes and they're tack sharp on my G6. I'd be very interested to see how much sharpness you can get out of the 5300.

Also, any chance of an HDMI-out test? I haven't seen one online at all yet.

Anyway, I'll look forward to your review - glad you finally buckled Andrew  ;)

P.S. In case you haven't seen it, from page 7 this thread on dvxuser discusses DR + flat profiles on the 5300 (including some of my own fumbled tests): http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?316146-Nikon-D5300-video-samples/page7

I am really eager to see the test, I think that we will see the expeed 4 and this sensor in the near future in a D7100s or D7200 model. Nikon seems to be updating rapidly its entire line of camera with the expeed 4 from the recently announced D3300 and Nikon D4s. The most surprisingly side of the Nikon line-up now is the the Nikon D3300 which seems to be the exact sensor and expeed 4 than in the Nikon D5300. If this thing has uncompressed hdmi out it will be quite incredible for a $ 600 body. In the case of my D7100 I am sure with its resolution and DR that it is very close to the C100.

@Matt James Smith, for my experience with the Ninja and D7100, it looks a lot like between a stock and a hack gh2. There is better resolution as if you have removed a veil on the image. The grain is more tighter and the image holds up better to grading but the normal codec is surprisingly close at least on more static scene.