New Nikon D5300 with Expeed 4

Aussie Ash

I doubt the D5300 and D5200 sensors are identical, but they're are likely close enough. Just ordered a D5300 last night. Figured I already have speed light strobes for the Nikon, remote, trigger, batteries and chargers that should work, no need for expensive adaptors, etc. And, I can return it up to 45 days after I receive for a full refund. That gets me well into January in case something else amazing drops before then. And, I think ultimately... the pure image is very good from this camera even though it has many strikes against it in terms of features, ergonomics and function. 

Still intrigued by the G6 and it's MFT peers class though. Very interested in Andrew's shootout, and if the price drops any more, might pick up one of those after the first of the year as well, when they're blowing them out.

The more I read on Thom Hogan's site about product decisions Nikon makes, the more I'm tempted to sell off all my Nikon stuff and never look back. What happened to that company? I used to be proud to say I was a Nikon user. Now... not so much. I say that although I've been shooting mostly Nikon for about 30 years now, I'm no longer a "fan boy". Just looking toward who's got the image I want for the price I want to pay, with the least amount of back-end workflow. 

When it comes to the "art" of what I want to do with it, all of these cameras in this price-range are so very close these days... I'd rather put the peeping goggles down, stop shopping, and get on with it. If the last decade of history is any indication... there'll be something that blows all this stuff away within the next couple of quarters anyway.  ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Matt I did not want to lecture you or get in any personal debate with you. What I was saying is simply the sensor are definitely not the same visually, no banding and do a comparison on DXOmark to see that there are some difference in the measurement. Now it might just be an updated version to reduce/eliminate the banding or a completely new architecture, manufacturer, etc.

The problem is that if we start just to say... ok, same mega-pixel, same sensor, then there will be no need to test. But this camera does not have one but two good reason to be tested. The first one being a new sensor and the second one a new image engine in the expeed 4. Do we know what it is really capable of. If we just start to assume anything then we would have never known about the D5200/D7100 capabilities. We could just have assumed that Nikon would never release a $ 700 camera with better video than its $ 3000 D800. This is not logical in terms of product and that might be one of the reason we don't see any promotion of the D5300 video capabilities from Nikon.

In the case of Nikon unfortunately for me, people are just looking at spec sheet and not seeing the potential. What I see at least with the D7100 is a Canon C100 performance in every way until perhaps above 1600/3200 ISO. But this we will never know because no one give a sh....t to test because it is not fancy enough.

If you cannot do beautiful images with a C100 then no matter what prores, RAW, 4k tech won't make you do better images. There is always a threshold in any technology where the hardware stops being the limiting factor and it is the skill-set of the human behind the camera that will make a difference. For me the C100/D7100 spec are really close to it. I would just add 10 bit even if some dithering can do wonders. Just to illustrate my point look at this video from stillmotion mostly shot on the C100

But for us to know if the D7100/D5300 can get close to the C100, I can only guest because there is no test to show us if I am right or completely wrong. I hope that you understand my point and that I was not offensive toward you at all. I think that most of us on this threat are genuinely seeking some answers on the D5300.

Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

I hope that you understand my point and that I was not offensive toward you at all. I think that most of us on this threat are genuinely seeking some answers on the D5300.

Thanks Jean Daniel for your kind response. Many apologies for the rant. I agree with everything you say above, and I too am extremely frustrated that the D5300 hasn't been tested for video properly anywhere yet. I wish someone would do an HDMI output test as well.

I really like the colours in Abonyi's footage, as I have most of the D5200 footage I've seen. I think that is the main reason I like this camera. The BM Pocket is very washed out in low light. 

You see for me there are big question that are puzzling me. Look at those two image attachment from oleg kaylan on DVXUSER D5300 thread between the Canon 5d3 and Nikon D5300. There are clearly a big Dynamic range advantage to the D5300. In video the 5d3 has been measured between 10.5 to 11 stop DR and the Nikon's have about 1/2 to 1 stop DR advantage from 11.5 to 12 stop. But in this example it is clearly much more, easily 1.5 to 2 stop more. Before someone start to say bull shit just look at the frequently known as BBC test of the D4. They gave it 13 stop of DR and the D800 11.9 stops. So it is not impossible that Nikon has tweeked the expeed 4 to get more DR in video mode from the sensor. Again just speculation, ahhhhhh frustration would just need someone to do some test to know.

post-30144-0-25162100-1386322947_thumb.j

post-30144-0-56829900-1386322955_thumb.j

Oleg has also done a D5300 vs D5200 test.  Clear banding in the shadows on the d5200, none on the d5300.  Have a look.

http://yadi.sk/d/-W9s7oihDurQD

Thanks. This guy knows what he's doing. I was already convinced but this confirms conclusively that the D5300 doesn't suffer the same FPN problems of the D5200. For me this is a clear reason to choose the 5300 over the 5200.

Oleg Kalyan's, wants list for the D5200: Kelvin temperature, full time histogram, full time audio monitoring. I hope Nikon will do it in the next firmware update.

How is manual wb set?  Are you able to dial in a color temp, or is it just a spot reading, and with manual, how do you know the wb point?

He has also done one against the 5dmark3 comparing at same exposure as I recommended to him as the Canon is easily at least 2/3 stop darker than Nikon/panasonic camera. It is as if Canon cheats on the ISO. As you can see the D5300 is at least 2/3 stop brighter than the 5dmark3.

https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=iPnGEeZb13g4nwPYoeYzkpV0a47hj9QEnuFBXmrGCvw%3D

This is what I wrote on the Dvxuser thread.

For me the test is not good and it is not the fault of Oleg. The problem is that it is either Nikon which under values it ISO or Canon which overvalues it ISO (which is more likely the case). At least since the Nikon D800/5d3 the Canon is 2/3 iso darker than the Nikon. So ISO 1600 on Nikon is more like ISO 2500 on Canon 5dmark3. You can see a test done by Joe Marine from nofilmschool between Nikon D800 and Canon 5D3 and you can clearly see that the Nikon is much brighter at same ISO

Oleg Kalyan's, wants list for the D5200: Kelvin temperature, full time histogram, full time audio monitoring. I hope Nikon will do it in the next firmware update.

Here is one of his on youtube

I think we will have to wait for some of those things in a D7200. I really hope they up the internal bitarate and add things like peaking. The expeed4 should have enough power for these, but my dream would be 10 bit.

Hmmm. Haven't seen this bit of information elsewhere. According to Nikon's own support forums you should be able to adjust the aperture in live view on the D5300: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/12/10/nikon-d5300-trivia-the-body-is-made-out-of-a-new-carbon-fibre-reinforced-thermoplastics-and-you-can-now-change-the-aperture-in-live-view.aspx/

Edit: Apparently one commenter clarifies it:

"Yes, you can change the aperture setting (in Aperture Priority mode) but it doesn't change the aperture itself until you take a shot. So:

1: it is pretty limited
2: it's not new"

Does anyone know a way to disable communication between lens and camera? My D5300 arrived yesterday and video works great with all my un-chipped manual AI-s glass (the aperture ring avoids the issue above). But although my 35mm f2 AF-D has an aperture ring, it also has a communication chip. The 5300 won't let me use the aperture ring, which is infuriating! It demands to control the aperture itself.

I suppose the simplest solution is to put a bit of tape over the contacts on the lens, but if anyone has encountered this problem before and found a better way of solving it I'd really like to know. I'm a bit worried about the tape coming loose and interfering with the mirror/sensor.

I've just done a few very quick & basic tests with the D5300: 

I've only had the camera a couple of days so not much opportunity to test it comprehensively yet.

First impressions:

*It isn't as sharp as my Panny G6, but it sharpens up quite nicely in post.

*There doesn't seem to be any of the banding at high ISOs that the D5200 suffered from. Overall it's excellent in low light and seems to clean up nicely with Neat Video.

*Unfortunately I am noticing a tiny bit of moire but I'm hoping it's not a big problem - I'll do some more tests of this soon. I suggest turning sharpness right down on whatever picture profile you use.

*50p seems decent to my eye - need to test slowmo further with faster/more action.

*I've installed the Flaat 12 picture profile to see what sort of DR can be gotten out of the camera. I don't know enough at this point to do DR test scientifically but might look into it. I am seeing increased noise in the shadows with Flaat, even at lower ISOs, but probably need to experiment a bit more.

I've enabled downloading.

Mine has been perpetually delayed for delivery. Was supposed to be here over a week ago, then delayed due to storms, then finally made it to Austin this weekend, but got delayed again for some reason. Likely backlog.

Getting nervous about the purchase. Of the professional reviews I've read so far, no one seems to be raving about this camera... and most seem to favor the Canons, while admitting the Nikon has a better image. Thom just published his review of the D5300 today: http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d5300-review.html

Not too nervous since I have plenty of time to return it, but I wanted something to take on the road in January, and the G6's are now priced back up around $750 instead of $500. Man, I freakin' HATE all the little games the manufactures play, especially with pricing. 

Honestly, I'm really not that thrilled about ANY of the sub $5k options. But, when the G6 was $500... I think that was a great value. 

I'm hoping that I'll be pleasantly surprised by the D5300, but I'm not seeing any evidence that'll be the case from anyone. 

Matt, you're the only person I know of who has both the G6 and D5300. Are you thinking you'll keep the D5300?