New Nikon D5300 with Expeed 4

Aussie Ash

@Matt, the D5300 will exceed all the current options with regard to low-light low-noise sensitivity, and the stills performance. I still sell some stock images via exclusive contract. The stills from any of the options would likely suffice, but I'd prefer to have a bit more resolution for the stills.

Also, the D5300 can serve as a backup to my current still gear and will also serve as a backup for my next still camera upgrade. 

The G6/GH3's are still viable options though. Good points against the RX10. But, I think ultimately... out of all the cameras cited in this thread... when it comes down to the image itself in good and low light particularly, the D5300 should produce significantly better results. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

@Matt, the D5300 will exceed all the current options with regard to low-light low-noise sensitivity, and the stills performance. I still sell some stock images via exclusive contract. The stills from any of the options would likely suffice, but I'd prefer to have a bit more resolution for the stills.

Also, the D5300 can serve as a backup to my current still gear and will also serve as a backup for my next still camera upgrade. 

The G6/GH3's are still viable options though. Good points against the RX10. But, I think ultimately... out of all the cameras cited in this thread... when it comes down to the image itself in good and low light particularly, the D5300 should produce significantly better results. 

Yeah the D5300 is definitely the best stills camera option. I watched that RX10 video you posted and I just felt that it's really a TV camera, not a film/art camera. If you were leaning toward the RX10, the G6 would be a good mid point between the two. But yeah I understand you wanting the 5300 for its stills ability too.

Thank guys for keeping this thread going.  The D5300 hadn't been on my radar until now.  Thanks for the mentions, too.

If FPN is truly gone, this camera looks like a great upgrade from the D5200.  I might sell my current D5200's (now quite devalued) and get a D5300 instead.

I like that it's smaller than the D5200 with 2 stops of extra ISO gain.  I also like the 1080p60 option.  Plus Nikon has a great Standard profile that works for almost all my shooting with minimal need for color correction in post.  And I do miss the articulated viewfinder when shooting with the 5dMKIII.

That said, the AF looks useless in live video recording, and the bitrate is barely adequate for slow motion; you'll likely still see motion artifacts at 1080p60 even at 35mbps.  Just bear in mind that the GH3 will deliver much cleaner 60fps footage in that regard.

Of course, the clean HDMI output may change all this.  I'd be curious to see how much finer the noise structure is when recorded uncompressed to an external source.  That could also be a means of bypassing the 20 minute record time limit, making this an excellent camera for extended interviews.

It's a crowded marketplace right now with no "perfect" camera.  In my mind, the best thing out there for me would be a C500 (sorta small + compressed raw + slowmo + Canon color science)...but that's the price of a Prius.  So nope.

I'm still hooked on shooting 5d3 for my fun projects because I can basically do anything to the image in post.  But the D5300 looks to be a solid workhorse and quite gradeable in post.  I'd be curious to see how it stacks up next to a C100 in terms of sharpness, latitude, and low light.

Thank guys for keeping this thread going.  The D5300 hadn't been on my radar until now.  Thanks for the mentions, too.

If FPN is truly gone, this camera looks like a great upgrade from the D5200.  I might sell my current D5200's (now quite devalued) and get a D5300 instead.

I like that it's smaller than the D5200 with 2 stops of extra ISO gain.  I also like the 1080p60 option.  Plus Nikon has a great Standard profile that works for almost all my shooting with minimal need for color correction in post.  And I do miss the articulated viewfinder when shooting with the 5dMKIII.

That said, the AF looks useless in live video recording, and the bitrate is barely adequate for slow motion; you'll likely still see motion artifacts at 1080p60 even at 35mbps.  Just bear in mind that the GH3 will deliver much cleaner 60fps footage in that regard.

Of course, the clean HDMI output may change all this.  I'd be curious to see how much finer the noise structure is when recorded uncompressed to an external source.  That could also be a means of bypassing the 20 minute record time limit, making this an excellent camera for extended interviews.

It's a crowded marketplace right now with no "perfect" camera.  In my mind, the best thing out there for me would be a C500 (sorta small + compressed raw + slowmo + Canon color science)...but that's the price of a Prius.  So nope.

I'm still hooked on shooting 5d3 for my fun projects because I can basically do anything to the image in post.  But the D5300 looks to be a solid workhorse and quite gradeable in post.  I'd be curious to see how it stacks up next to a C100 in terms of sharpness, latitude, and low light.

I'm hopeful that 60p will be OK. The G6 shoots 60p at 28mbps and looks pretty clean to me (though I don't shoot much fast action stuff). Andrew got some confusing bitrate reports for the 5300 though - will be interested to find out what that's all about.

It's amazing that we're comparing this camera to Canon's 'C' line really, however it stacks up.

Yes I'll be interested to see how it looks with HDMI output. If it gives even a modest boost to colour latitude etc I'll be very tempted to buy a Ninja.

Hoping you do get one (and do a few personal projects with it!) - that would be good news for us.

Great to have you call in and comment Brandon.

Angela Nicholson has reviewed the camera at Techradar

"Our tests of the D5200 revealed that images taken at ISO 3200 or higher sometimes suffered from banding in darker areas and this significantly limited the size at which they could be viewed or printed.

Naturally, we have explored this area with the D5300 and it doesn't appear to suffer from the same problem. Noise is generally controlled well and has a random distribution and fine texture."

She also has it on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=83BHJMKWUW8

Very little comments on the cameras video abilities but note the improved iso range over the D5200.

It is good that eoshd did a good review of the RX10 and saw its limits. A camera that he himself has been hipping a lot. For me I have stop believing  in any of the Sony dslr camera. Every new model is crippled in one way or the other to protect their high-end camera line. It is so obvious that I can't even understand people who get excited by any Sony dslr camera for video use. One example is the claim that it has full sensor readout. I am 200% sure that is just marketing bull-shit because of the moire/aliasing in the shots.

On the other side you have Nikon who release the D5300 camera which gets rid of the only major problem of its predecessor (fix pattern noise) and adds 60fps 1080p and gets a paragraph with a test done in the shop. It might look like minor upgrade but from an already very very strong Nikon D5200 image quality. This camera with its lack of FPN and new expeed 4 could even be better than the 5dmark3 in many area. Some I am sure like Dynamic range and sharpness and others like lowlight will need some test. Hopefully someone else (Cinema 5D Johnnie Behiri said that it was on his list).

My guess is that the D5300 will have an image very close in term of sharpness, DR etc  to the Canon C100/C300 below ISO 3200. And it will at least have 60 fps for $ 800. Unfortunately for most people and bloggers, what they will remember with their lack of research is that the Nikon DF has no video, and as such Nikon does not care about video and should be crucified for this. Yet Sony just released 3 cameras that all have their dose of moire/aliasing, codec, etc. etc. issues and they get all the headlines.

It is good that eoshd did a good review of the RX10 and saw its limits. A camera that he himself has been hipping a lot. For me I have stop believing  in any of the Sony dslr camera. Every new model is crippled in one way or the other to protect their high-end camera line. It is so obvious that I can't even understand people who get excited by any Sony dslr camera for video use. One example is the claim that it has full sensor readout. I am 200% sure that is just marketing bull-shit because of the moire/aliasing in the shots.

On the other side you have Nikon who release the D5300 camera which gets rid of the only major problem of its predecessor (fix pattern noise) and adds 60fps 1080p and gets a paragraph with a test done in the shop. It might look like minor upgrade but from an already very very strong Nikon D5200 image quality. This camera with its lack of FPN and new expeed 4 could even be better than the 5dmark3 in many area. Some I am sure like Dynamic range and sharpness and others like lowlight will need some test. Hopefully someone else (Cinema 5D Johnnie Behiri said that it was on his list).

My guess is that the D5300 will have an image very close in term of sharpness, DR etc  to the Canon C100/C300 below ISO 3200. And it will at least have 60 fps for $ 800. Unfortunately for most people and bloggers, what they will remember with their lack of research is that the Nikon DF has no video, and as such Nikon does not care about video and should be crucified for this. Yet Sony just released 3 cameras that all have their dose of moire/aliasing, codec, etc. etc. issues and they get all the headlines.

Yeah I made this very same point on the RX10 review thread.

Got a slap on the wrist from Andrew for my trouble, but we made up afterwards  ;)

I hope that someday he might see the market not only in terms of what looks more innovative but camera that are also ... good enough. In my case for example, I am a Pro Nikon shooter with about $ 15 000 in camera, lens, flashes etc invested in the Nikon system the last 8 years (I don't live in a first world country). In the mean time I have bought a Canon 7D and a Panasonic gh2 for video. If there was no Nikon D5200 and the D7100 that I bought, I would have gone Panasonic gh3 or Blackmagic. But in the end, from what I saw the D7100 is good enough for me and I am so thrilled about the image quality, that is why I am so interested in the d5300. A D7100 image without the Fix pattern noise and 60p is just ideal for me. No need to search for new lens, adapters that might fail etc etc... For sure I would like at least 10 bit, high bitrate internal codec and eventually raw when I can afford the size and resources needed. But until now with my ninja if need be, I get what I always wanted when I had my hacked gh2. Better dynamic range and lowlight with good 1080 resolution without any aliasing and moire... The combo with the ninja is still very small and adds peaking, zebras, false colour and high bitrate codec. If someone cannot do nice pictures with such a combo then he needs to look at himself.

My D5300 will be here Nov 27th.

I plan on setting it up for 1080P at 60 fps.

I have a BlackMagic Shuttle II to record uncompressed RAW

a Ninja II to record DNxHD 36 (probably more like 72Mbps).

and a Camax HD external monitor.

I will be hooking them all up at once and comparing footage to my D800e and V1.

Did your D5300 arrive yet?! :) If so, have your tried the external recording, etc. yet? 

I get Andrew has completely dismissed this camera as nothing interesting and simply a D5200 with 60p. He could be right, but I'm thinking this camera has some surprises. I'm a little baffled how he could make a blanket statement like that from nothing more than dinking around with it in the shop and no real testing. No matter though. I'd rather read the impressions of someone who didn't already have a negative bias before testing.

Can't get one here yet, because I think they are blowing out D5200's for Black Friday sales and such. Looking for someone who's put it through the paces. Hopefully I'll be able to just go buy one myself and decide if it will suit my current needs. Would like to have whatever camera I'm going with before the end of the year. Am still considering the RX10 and now the GH3. Mostly interested in the D5300 over the other two, for higher res stills and better low light performance.

Wow that's some nasty noise in the cabinet doors on the right, the table legs in the center, and in the hallway on the left. I certainly wouldn't call this footage "very good", nor would I be willing to shoot this camera at 6400. It's plain out nasty.

Everything is relative. It is "very good" for 6400 ISO. If you can show me footage that looks better at ISO 6400 from a camera costing less than £4000, then I'm happy to reevaluate my opinion. 5D MkIII? No it's about the same.

Yes of course there's noise in the shadows, but it's a reasonably fine grain structure and much nicer than FPN of the D5200. Did you download the vimeo file? It looks significantly better than the online mush.

What level of noise you're prepared to shoot with is always going to be somewhat subjective. 

The Gordon Laing review says the D5300 can't change aperture while shooting a movie, even in full manual mode. All you can change is the shutter speed (which you would never want to change) and ISO. Is this true?

This is a problem with most Nikon DSLR's. The best way around it is to use old manual glass with aperture rings. Otherwise you have to swap in and out of live view to change aperture. 

Everything is relative. It is "very good" for 6400 ISO. If you can show me footage that looks better at ISO 6400 from a camera costing less than £4000, then I'm happy to reevaluate my opinion. 

Matt, in your previous post you said 12800 was "quite usable" and 6400 was "very good".  You didn't qualify your claims.  When I downloaded the 6400 footage, I was expecting very good footage.  But what I got was nasty.  I'm glad to see you essentially agree, namely, that the 6400 footage is not usable, just possibly better than other unusable 6400 footage available from similarly priced cameras.

@noirist anyone that will tell you that ISO 6400 is good, is not relative to a 100 ISO image. If you thought that you would get noiseless detailled image at 6400 then he lives in another dimention in 2013. What everyone who has worked with different cameras at high ISO will see some very good quality factoring that he kept the image with very dark area (surely using shutter speed to achieve it) that will yield more noise. In real life scenario it would be very very dark near darkness to get to this shadows at 6400 ISO. The last thing is just look at the Canon 700D example to give you a taste of what general apsc Slr camera level of noise compared to the D5300. If you factor in detail level, it is good 2 stop better.

This camera looks VERY "usable" at 6400, especially compared with anything else under $5k. I tested the D5200 & found it totally workable, especially when using a manual lens.

I'm not certain this one is for me, but after looking at Andrew's own testing of the D5200 against the GH3 (unless his testing was flawed & skewed by poor glass choices as some have eluded) the D5200 smokes the GH3 in low light. If the d5300 is a bit better with FPN eliminated, adding 60p, then it won't be any contest.

The RX10 footage I've seen so far, including Andrew's, is sterile & looks like digital video camcorder footage. Very sharp, but not cinematic looking at all.

The guy at Cinema5D (Johnnie Behiri) is supposed to be putting the D5300 through its paces. Very much interested what his findings are as a working shooter.

Whether the image is usable or not is one thing but I can say that Neat Video easily removes the noise. The image does not appear to lose any significant amount of details.

@Danyyyel, have you ever considered opening a thread for Nikon shooters which could provide a platform to share all the tricks and suggestions. I would really benefit from such a thread. 

• Administrators

Said it before and I'll say it again, if any of those criticising EOSHD for not lavishing attention on a small incremental update from Nikon can PROVE that the D5300 is a significant step up from the D5200 in terms of the image quality in video mode, I will take a closer look at it. Until then, it's just a tweaked D5200.