New Nikon D5300 with Expeed 4

Aussie Ash

Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

Yes, they do (RX10). With the Nikon I'm pretty much forced to a dual audio system. If the on-board pre-amps are quiet and of very good quality, together with having a headphone jack and level meters you can adjust while recording... that's something to consider for sure. 

It's really a shame they didn't at least put a headphone jack on the D5300. 

The preamps are probably so rubbish they didn't think it was worth it! Though the G6 hasn't got a headphone jack and its audio is quite useable. I use a Roland R26 for clean audio, but it's huge so for everyday use I've ordered a Sony ICDSX1000 which is tiny (smaller than Zoom H1). It's an update of the recorder Brandon Li uses for his wired lav setup. No XLR but supposedly decent preamps and onboard mics. Hopefully it'll complement the 5300 ok ...

The funny thing about this thread is it's making me feel like you, me and possibly 1-2 others are the only people in the whole world interested in the D5300 for video  :lol:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cameralabs have posted their review, including decent video section (most informative I've seen so far):

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5300/

I just chatted to Gordon Laing on Vimeo and he says he's going to add some high-ISO (above 1600) video tests to the review soon.

Just finished. Good review. I've only recently discovered his reviews and they seem consistently fair and thorough as well. 

If you find out something on the high iso video tests to confirm whether or not banding/FPN or not? Or, at least significantly improved over the d5200. To be honest, I personally didn't find it all that bad with the D5200.

I'd only ever manually focus in video mode, but it'd be nice to be able to use AF in a pinch. The full-time AF on this camera appears to be absolutely useless. Or, perhaps it's just that kit lens? I had the kit lens on the d5200 I tried out, and I found that my older 18-200 VRII lens did a much better job with AF and was considerably quieter too.

https://vimeo.com/79982887

D5300 at ISO 1600 (downloading enabled). Ignore the annoying AF test.

To me this looks good. I'm not seeing any banding and personally I think the noise is on the "pleasant" scale. I haven't spotted any moire or aliasing in any of the Cameralabs videos. Detail is good. Colour is good. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger, though will wait for more low light tests.

Just about to lift the shadows in FCPX. Will report back...

The preamps are probably so rubbish they didn't think it was worth it! Though the G6 hasn't got a headphone jack and its audio is quite useable. I use a Roland R26 for clean audio, but it's huge so for everyday use I've ordered a Sony ICDSX1000 which is tiny (smaller than Zoom H1). It's an update of the recorder Brandon Li uses for his wired lav setup. No XLR but supposedly decent preamps and onboard mics. Hopefully it'll complement the 5300 ok ...

The funny thing about this thread is it's making me feel like you, me and possibly 1-2 others are the only people in the whole world interested in the D5300 for video  :lol:

Yeah, I don't get that. Either we're the idiots ;) or the rest are too busy reading up on raw/pro-res workflows, pricing more storage and checking their bank accounts to see if they can afford a faster computer to handle it. ;)

Let me know what you find out about the Sony ICDSX1000. I was about to get the little pcm-m10, but wondered about the newer one. Why are you considering that one ver the pcm-m10?

Yeah, I don't get that. Either we're the idiots ;) or the rest are too busy reading up on raw/pro-res workflows, pricing more storage and checking their bank accounts to see if they can afford a faster computer to handle it. ;)

Let me know what you find out about the Sony ICDSX1000. I was about to get the little pcm-m10, but wondered about the newer one. Why are you considering that one ver the pcm-m10?

I haven't looked into the pcm-m10 that closely, but the SX1000 is considerably smaller (my main criteria) and I read on at least one forum that audio quality is near-identical. As I have the R26 for critical stuff, I just wanted something small for a wired lav and to always have in my bag - it seemed good enough.

​Will let you know how I get on with it ...

So I've lifted the shadows of Cameralabs' ISO-1600 video test of the D5300. I'm no expert at this sort of thing and the video is not perfect subject matter (a higher ISO shot with more extensive and evenly spread shadow/dark ares would be best), but I'm not seeing any banding at all. My first reaction after lifting the shadows, which hadn't even occurred to me before, was that for H264 the footage looks very gradeable (unlike the 5200 which had to be shot with a standard picture style to avoid banding). This may also be helped by the new higher bit-rate. If I'm right, for me this definitively makes the D5300 worth the premium on the D5200. I hope I am right!

Before I lifted the shadows:

After I lifted the shadows:

What about the Sony RX10? Wouldn't it do the job? Built in ND filter, 24-200mm F2.8 lens, largish sensor, peaking, crisper detail in 1080p compared to D5300 and 1080/60p for slow-mo.

The RX10 is not off my radar yet. Haven't seen any tests or evaluations based on it's video performance beyond how well it would do as an all-in-one journalist package. The high iso performance for stills seems lacking at 3200 and above. The general look of the images, though sharp, has a sterile quality that I can't put my finger on... looks digital and not very organic. 

You mentioned getting one and testing. Looking forward to your findings as a potential low-budget, travel, filmmaking tool that doesn't require huge storage, or a tedious work flow. I'm not one of those who has to have the absolve shallowest DOF, and what I've seen from the RX10 thus far has been tolerable. 

Still on the fence, but I've already got some Nikon glass, SB600/800 speedlites, other bodies, batteries, etc. and if the high ISO performance of the D5300 is as good as the D5200 minus the banding and FPN, it would be an easy choice. Still looking hard at the RX10 though.

What about the Sony RX10? Wouldn't it do the job? Built in ND filter, 24-200mm F2.8 lens, largish sensor, peaking, crisper detail in 1080p compared to D5300 and 1080/60p for slow-mo.

Andrew I'm surprised you're suggesting the RX10 as a D5300 alternative. I refute it thus:

Well RX10 is certainly very interesting. But it isn't an interchangeable lens camera! Quite a big difference. That lens at F2.8 constant is lovely but there are times when F2.8 just won't cut it. The sensor is smaller. The built in ND filter and optional XLR add on are great. But it suffers some moire, the codec has a low bitrate ...

The D5300 is not simply a D5200 with 60p. It looks like it has improved on the low-light performance of the 5200, which makes it a beast in this price bracket. Plus without the banding and with a higher bit rate, the footage looks quite gradeable (certainly lending itself to a flat picture style more than the D5200). I am not going to buy the D5300 because it shoots 60p - I don't need slow-mo that badly. If I do buy it, it will be because it is a genuine improvement on the D5200.

Remember the dismissive reception the 5D3 got when it first came out? The D5200 is a great camera, but it has some issues. The 5300 looks like it has ironed out those issues. I understand that talking about the gradeability of H264 has been eclipsed into near darkness by much more exciting codecs, and that the Nikon mount is restrictive. But combined with the wide availability of cheap, fast second-hand AIS glass, this camera could be a very solid budget option - particularly for people wanting a low light camera. 60p is just a bonus.  :)

I've created a Nikon D5300 Vimeo group. Please add any videos you find - or make yourself ...

vimeo.com/groups/d5300

(sorry - no hyperlink because it tries to display a video)

I've created a Nikon D5300 Vimeo group. Please add any videos you find - or make yourself ...

vimeo.com/groups/d5300

(sorry - no hyperlink because it tries to display a video)

WOW!!! Those new low light samples that camerlabs.com did with the D5300 are VERY impressive. He did the same shots with the Canon 700D and there's no contest. The Nikon smokes'. Really curious how the RX10 shakes out. For low-budget, lowlight with excellent detail, the Nikon impresses. But, the RX10's feature set is also very impressive. Andrew's tests so far of the RX10 don't really tell me much. Will likely wait for him to do a more thorough shootout comparison with the RX10 before I pull the trigger on the D5300, but I like what I'm seeing so far from the Nikon.

WOW!!! Those new low light samples that camerlabs.com did with the D5300 are VERY impressive. He did the same shots with the Canon 700D and there's no contest. The Nikon smokes'. Really curious how the RX10 shakes out. For low-budget, lowlight with excellent detail, the Nikon impresses. But, the RX10's feature set is also very impressive. Andrew's tests so far of the RX10 don't really tell me much. Will likely wait for him to do a more thorough shootout comparison with the RX10 before I pull the trigger on the D5300, but I like what I'm seeing so far from the Nikon.

Yeah it's great news! Did you download the original mov files? They look pretty damn good to my eye ...

The RX10 certainly looks like a very, very useful camera for the right kind of shooter. Not for me though, I want a low light beastie that can take my fast primes! 

Yeah, I'm really torn. For me, the RX10 would be the "easy choice" that Andrew warns against LOL  ;) But, for pure image capture in low light with the ability to use different lenses at a budget price... it's looking like the D5300 is hard to beat. 

Didn't download the originals, and heading out for the night in a few. But did you find any FPN or banding at all yet? Much better than the D5200 in your opinion?

Gordon Lang over at Cameralabs has just uploaded these low-light tests of the Nikon D5300 (ISOs 800 through 25600).

https://vimeo.com/80132213

Definitively, categorically no banding. Nice grain structure. Good news!

As Angela Nicholson points out in this video for Digital Camera World, although the D5300 actually has a slightly lower signal-to-noise ratio than the D5200, because the grain is fine, uniform and without banding, the D5300 is more useable at high ISOs in the real world.

Looking at Gordon's tests (after downloading the original MOV files), I think the D5300 is quite useable at 12800 ISO for certain applications - and there is still good detail so noise reduction is a real option. Certainly 6400 looks very good. At 25600 things definitely start to go pear-shaped.

If anyone would like to point me towards a video showing that the removal of the OLPF has led to moire or aliasing, I'd be grateful, but I can't find one.

Good news all round for budget shooters wanting excellent low light performance, 60p and not feeling an immediate need for 12+ stops of dynamic range and extreme grading latitude.

It's tiny too btw - 75% lighter than the D5200.

Yeah, I'm really torn. For me, the RX10 would be the "easy choice" that Andrew warns against LOL  ;) But, for pure image capture in low light with the ability to use different lenses at a budget price... it's looking like the D5300 is hard to beat. 

Didn't download the originals, and heading out for the night in a few. But did you find any FPN or banding at all yet? Much better than the D5200 in your opinion?

No FPN at all. It just isn't there. For me, definitely worth the premium on the D5200 for a number of reasons.

No FPN at all. It just isn't there. For me, definitely worth the premium on the D5200 for a number of reasons.

Had a quick look at a few original downloads. Yep, for image quality alone... especially low light, I think it's a keeper. Can't get one at the shop I want to buy from yet, so I'll likely wait for Andrew's RX10 shootout before I pull the trigger. Glad my search is almost over. ;)

FYI: You embedded the wrong video clip in your previous post. You grabbed the 700D sample instead of the D5300 ;)

Had a quick look at a few original downloads. Yep, for image quality alone... especially low light, I think it's a keeper. Can't get one at the shop I want to buy from yet, so I'll likely wait for Andrew's RX10 shootout before I pull the trigger. Glad my search is almost over. ;)

FYI: You embedded the wrong video clip in your previous post. You grabbed the 700D sample instead of the D5300 ;)

Ha ha thanks Skip - doh!

The D5300 looks like a winner to me but it might be worth waiting until a few more qualified folk put it through its paces. Just to be sure ...

My D5300 will be here Nov 27th.

I plan on setting it up for 1080P at 60 fps.

I have a BlackMagic Shuttle II to record uncompressed RAW

a Ninja II to record DNxHD 36 (probably more like 72Mbps).

and a Camax HD external monitor.

I will be hooking them all up at once and comparing footage to my D800e and V1.