Fuji reveal X-Pro 3

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the lack of a rear image screen is pretty darn cool, i think. if youve ever shot 35mm stills, its a blast from the past...!

stupid question: will one be seeing 100% of the image through the viewfinder, or is it an oldschool rangefinder approximation...? kno what i mean...? never actually shot w a rangefinder before, so im confused lol

It's the most pretentious gimmick (wouldn't go as far as calling it a 'feature') I've seen in a while. Only the Leica M10-D which shares a similar mindset but hardly similar pricing trumps it. 

I'd rather have a digital camera be ahead of its time rather than stripped back as some kind of 'ode' to the good ol' days. If essence is what you're after... go shoot actual film, already? Really limit yourself to shooting without a screen, max. 36 consecutive shots, etc.

This?! I think it's bollocks, but hey, if people were waiting for this, good on them.

41 minutes ago, kaylee said:

will one be seeing 100% of the image through the viewfinder, or is it an oldschool rangefinder approximation...? kno what i mean...? never actually shot w a rangefinder before, so im confused lol

Xpro-2 is a fixed lens OVF with overlay guidelines and info if you want it. It’s a cool novelty. The thing I like about OVF is that is allows you to take in the whole scene in front of you as it’s a pretty wide view  

Whenlooking though the lens via EVF it’s kind of “tunnel vision,” which is good for some stuff too. 

41 minutes ago, kaylee said:

will one be seeing 100% of the image through the viewfinder, or is it an oldschool rangefinder approximation...? kno what i mean...? never actually shot w a rangefinder before, so im confused lol

The X pro line are not pure rangefinder cameras. The cameras have a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder. There is an electronic overlay on the screen with the field of view of the lens used. Basically you can see a larger field of view than the one the lens capture. But they don't have the rangefinder focusing capabilities, no split image coming together on the focusing plane.

I have used only the xpro1 but from what I know, fuji has changed the optical screen in the xpro2.

I like being able to hide the screen. I use the viewfinder 90% of the time when taking photos. It's nice to be able to protect the LCD from scratches, and from sweat when you press your face against the camera. The little LCD showing the "film type" is really cute, and seems to have the unique function of showing an easily recognizable icon for the picture profile you're using. Brilliant.

Pretty sure they could have done that with a tilty flippy screen as well.

IIRC xpro2 had dual zoom level for the OVF.

I played around with the xpro1 a few years ago and it was interesting, way too small rear lens tho that made it kinda bad to use unless you aimed your eyeball in there, it had some other downfalls like battery life and the reeeely noisy os zoom lens so I didn't end up buying it even tho it was pretty cheap used. I would not mind to see what the new generation have to offer.

Close, but no cigar for me.

Unlike a lot of the internet chatter, I actually like the screen.

I like the titanium build and Dura finish.

But despite having a pair of Pro 1's and then Pro 2's for stills, I can't go with these as I do need IBIS for the way I work these days which is 3 bodies + choice of 4 primes, flipping between stills & video all day long.

Currently working off a mono and tripod with a pair of XT3's + 2 lenses and XH1 + X100F for stills with 3 lenses and it's workable but not as slick as the above.

XH2 please! I'll take 3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Oddly enough, I'm currently sat on a train with my FZ2000 and not really getting why the hidden screen on the X-PRO3 is considered revolutionary ;)

20191023_110059_compress33.thumb.jpg.e692a6be30c3f60000e06323ae23e309.jpg

20191023_110127_compress89.thumb.jpg.882830092173a86c9f75f2b94b69cc53.jpg

I do like the small info display they've included though.

Hopefully, used prices of X-PRO2 might get down to "oh go on then" in twleve months as I've always fancied one and this new one doesn't really give more for me for what I'd be using it for.

The official release confirms no IBIS and on that basis alone, it's not for me.

Also, I believe they 'dumbed' it down from 10 bit to 8 internally and one of the appeals of the XT3 I currently use is 10 bit internally.

I like it as a stills camera however and if I only shot stills, I think I'd almost certainly have got a pair.

I love the idea to emphasize on the viewfinder, material and build quality. But it's a very photographic centered camera. video features aren't even close to the X-T3. 

But Fuji is on a roll. The X-T3 was incredible, the X-T30 very good value and the X-Pro3 is just a one of it's kind. Really looking forward to the X-H2 and X-T4