Speed Date // BMMCC Short Film

Bozzie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

Great job!!! Well written and really funny. The sex montage was hilarious.

I love the look from the Micro. I’m glad I decided to hold on to mine for a little while longer. 

Thanks, @mercer! Glad you enjoyed. The bmmcc definitely has that "special sauce" look. Don't ever get rid of it!

3 hours ago, mkabi said:

Definitely a good short (dialogue isn't cliche), but something about the actual speed dating at the bar felt fake. It felt like the bar was empty and it was just them two (+ camera man) with added fake ambient noise. In terms of crew, other than the camera man, how many people were there?

Thanks, @mkabi. Ssshhh, don't give away the filmmaking secrets! ? That's exactly what it was. One man crew (me) with sound design. A bar tender and some people crossing camera would probably have sold the scene a little more, but unnecessary in terms of what I wanted to achieve ?

11 hours ago, Bozzie said:

Thanks, @mkabi. Ssshhh, don't give away the filmmaking secrets! ? That's exactly what it was. One man crew (me) with sound design. A bar tender and some people crossing camera would probably have sold the scene a little more, but unnecessary in terms of what I wanted to achieve ?

If you get a chance, to do something like this again or something similar. Can you do a test.... i.e. have people like even 4 to 6 other people in the room, they can just be crew (behind the scenes i.e. people without any actual screen time), see if that changes the ambience and/or volume. You can even over-ride the actual ambient noise with fake ambient noise. Also, share the results, cause I need to know as I am curious too (cc me or try to grab my attention with @[my name]). 

I have a feeling it makes a difference...

For example, my wife and kids were watching Cinderella (the live action one from 2015) and they happened to be watching the BTS.... they said that during the ball sequence, they had 500 extras... I thought it was excessive given that not all 500 extras would actually be shown in any particular shot. All 500 people had an additional 500 makeup artists and choreographers.... well you get the point. They could've gotten away with 100 or 200 people... But, now that I think about it, I have a feeling that those 500 people had to be there for the ambience of that scene - to sell that scene for what it is....

14 hours ago, Bozzie said:

Thanks, @mkabi.  A bar tender and some people crossing camera would probably have sold the scene a little more, but unnecessary in terms of what I wanted to achieve ?

Yeah I think that was more the issue in terms of realism than the fake ambiance. I don't think you were going for realism though or else they'd probably have to be a lot closer to each other and talking louder to hear anything at a busy bar haha. You'd also have to put on some shitty pop music for realism. ?

On 9/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, mkabi said:

I have a feeling that those 500 people had to be there for the ambience of that scene - to sell that scene for what it is....

If I ever get the budget for something like that I'll definitely  keep you posted!

On 9/26/2019 at 12:01 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

You'd also have to put on some shitty pop music for realism. ?

You know that! ?

On 9/25/2019 at 4:45 AM, Bozzie said:

The bmmcc definitely has that "special sauce" look. Don't ever get rid of it!

It really does have a special look to it and for what I paid for mine, it would have been stupid not to buy it. However, due to other projects and needs, I haven’t really had the chance to rig it up perfectly yet. My goal is to have a one or two lens solution consisting of either c-mount lenses or native lenses. I want to keep it as simple and compact as possible. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2019 at 3:37 AM, Bozzie said:

WARNING: MATURE CONTENT. Speed Date is a black comedy about Jack and Natalie who approach their allocated time together with different mindsets. What could go wrong? [Best with Headphones]

Shot on a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera + Sigma 18-35mm Lens.

Just watched this and it's hilarious, well done!  ???