Olympus E-M5 MK III - coming in October

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I quite like it, but then I liked the EM5ii's I used to have a few years back.

I won't go to m4/3 for stills but for video I think it's OK. Well more than OK, - the GH5 and BMPC4K says so.

But won't be getting one as I'm more than happy with what's coming out of my XT3.

Good on Olympus for making it though and hope they continue as a company as I like them.

Stoked to review the EM5 mkiii. Been using only the EM1 mkii with the new firmware the last few months and for the most part love it. I wish it had the button layout of a Canon 1DX or something...but other than that...I love the image I get out of it. The EM5 mkiii seems like basically a mini EM1mkii with minimal loss in ergonomics and battery life for a smaller and more compact size. I'll take it. Love it!

I’m definitely getting the E-M5 iii, looks awesome and I like the smaller size even though the em1 with no doubt has a more comfortable grip. 

Now if Olympus only would add auto-iso in video mode via firmware it would be the perfect small doc/journalist setup.

@DaveAltizer I hope you stresstest this little guy in C4K to see if doesn’t overheat :) and if the autofocus is up to or with the EM1ii

This would help explain the support for 1080p120

https://camerajabber.com/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-iii-review/

Technically the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III sits below the OM-D E-M1 Mark II in Olympus’s interchangeable lens camera line-up but it has an updated processor that seems to give its smaller body a slight edge for speed and AF performance.

Olympus has given the E-M5 Mark III the same 20.4Mp Live MOS sensor as the OM-D E-M1 Mark II. The processor is also listed as the same TruePic VIII engine, but according to Olympus UK’s Clare Harvey-May, it’s been updated for a bit more oomph.

My first experience of the E-M5 III was in the Magic Circle HQ in London. It’s an amazing place, but quite gloomy. Nevertheless, the E-M5’s AF system coped very well. In fact, it dealt with the conditions a bit better than the E-M1 II I had with me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 6:49 PM, Video Hummus said:

Checkout Chris Eyre-Walker for what an EM1mk2 can do.

He shoots almost all his stuff handheld. I mean this video below sums up what Olympus offers. Great weather sealing, stabilization, and colors in a small package.

Man, those shots at 1:50 - who needs a gimbal.  Probably going to sell my GH5 and go back to Olympus.  Even though the original EM5 had blocky video, I loved shooting photos and video with it and always had it with me due to size-weight.  I heavily used the GX80, but the IBIS and viewfinder let it down. 

Was originally thinking of a used E-M1ii and E-M10iii combo, but now might just get a new EM5ii as it is small enough and does all I need...  That and the 12-100/4 would be perfect for the event stuff I do.

1 hour ago, sgreszcz said:

Man, those shots at 1:50 - who needs a gimbal.

Right? I can’t wait for GH6 or a EM1.3. I just got a Weebil S gimbal. It’s great but after using it for about 30 mins I was like I can’t wait until I don’t have to use something like this. Just so much faster to translate the movements you want with your arms and hands and a good ninja walk.

Im also thinking about picking up a EM5.3 for photo and for occasional video. So many people knock it and then say after using it it makes photography fun again. 

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Right? I can’t wait for GH6 or a EM1.3. I just got a Weebil S gimbal. It’s great but after using it for about 30 mins I was like I can’t wait until I don’t have to use something like this. Just so much faster to translate the movements you want with your arms and hands and a good ninja walk.

Same story here. I hate the hussle of gimbals even though they provide the unique result I need. Waiting for better overall stabilization in next gen m43 cameras so I could ditch them in 90% of cases. For now the plan is to get small Zhiyun Smooth Q2 and use it with my Xiaomi K20 and Filmic.pro for gimbal shots and everyrhing else to shoot manual as I do. We will see how it works out. 

10 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Same story here. I hate the hussle of gimbals even though they provide the unique result I need. Waiting for better overall stabilization in next gen m43 cameras so I could ditch them in 90% of cases. For now the plan is to get small Zhiyun Smooth Q2 and use it with my Xiaomi K20 and Filmic.pro for gimbal shots and everyrhing else to shoot manual as I do. We will see how it works out. 

Yeah, I've got an DJO Osmo pocket which is good enough for the things that I do, and with an extension pole I can get pseudo drone/crane shots. 

I sold my gimbal as it was just too much of a hassle to set up and carry around.  The GH5 + PL12-40 with dual IS (which I use now) is pretty darn good when in "tripod IS mode", but when adding some movement it wasn't nearly as good as even older Olympus models in my opinion.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:49 PM, Video Hummus said:

I’m really hoping Olympus takes video seriously in the EM5mk3 and the, hopefully, forthcoming EM1mk3.

10bit codec with those lovely Olympus colors and an improved 4K an 1080p image (less noise and sharpening) would be a treat.

Checkout Chris Eyre-Walker for what an EM1mk2 can do.

He shoots almost all his stuff handheld. I mean this video below sums up what Olympus offers. Great weather sealing, stabilization, and colors in a small package.

Insane stabilization. Kind of wish I got the Olympus EM10 iii instead of my G7, as the IBIS is also great

that looks like gimbal footage.