Windows 8.1

FilmMan

Updated to Windows 8.1 the other day.  I have 2 hard drives each backed up to another hard drive (each raid 1 mirror to their own drive).  Most of my data was wiped out.   Advice.  Backup to an external drive too.  I read that the update wouldn't cause any problems.  It did.    Talked to Microsoft person and he said it shouldn't have happened, and blah, blah.   He said to go to a data recovery company and contact them back.  I didn't want to go through the grief, time and expense so good bye data.  Only reminding  others here , to always back up in other sources as a precaution.  I thought I was safe due to my data being backed up with my 'raid 1' setup.  Cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One piece of advice I have for anyone upgrading or installing Windows 8 is to disconnect every drive other than the one you are installing to.  I didn't have any problems with it erasing data from drives but it literally took over my computer.  I have a variety of boot disks.  I have Windows 7 and OS X Mountain Lion installed on a couple of drives.  When I point my BIOS at the OS X Mountain Lion drive it utilizes the Chameleon Bootloader which allows me to then choose my OS.  Well when Windows 8 showed up it scanned all drives on the computer and usurp all other bootloaders and left itself as last man standing.  And of course it has no idea what Mountal Lion is or how to boot it.  Not good.  I had to reinstall Chameleon and fiddle with diskpart to make the OS X disk bootable again... at least I think that is how I fixed it.  Not cool MSFT.  Not cool.

There is no way Windows 8 deleted anything, you've obviously done something wrong when you installed it. Also there are plenty of HDD recovery programs out there that will get most if not all your data back without having to pay a professional service.

This is true.  Unless you do a low level format (which takes forever) the data is still there and easily recoverable.

I've had hard drives go bad on me and I purposely did a total low level format and it took FOREVER.  This was not one of those multiple writes.  It was a one pass low level format.  It was a very deliberate and time consuming thing.  Can't imagine a program doing something like that incidently... and hearing about it on eoshd.com vs the evening news.

tehgeek,  nope, I didn't do anything wrong.   turned on my computer and Windows 8.1 installed.  After the update, a small amount of data exists on my D hard drive.    I won't debate with you as I know what happened.   Websites such as Youtube and Dailymotion do not work as they should at times too.  And I get an error dll when booting up, which has to do something with  logitech mouse too?

Damphousse,  do a net search and you'll read that Windows updates haven't gone smoothly for everyone. I'm not the only one who had issues. 

I tried one HDD recovery program, no luck.  I'll try another. 

I posted my experience to point out that things may not go as they should. 

Cheers.