The SINGLE SOVIET PRIME LENS challenge

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I shot something else tonight with an old lens. Took about an hour. This one I'll edit and upload fer sure  

.....and @leslie and I will eventually sort out our infinity focus issues and then there will be more lenses in the mix :) 

Great stuff!

Wow..  @BTM_Pix and @Cinegain - you guys are very punny!

31 minutes ago, xzobinx said:

what's the issue actually? rear element hits the glass? 

There were some camera systems made that used an m42 mount but had a shorter flange distance, so you buy the lenses as m42 lenses and they fit perfectly on your m42 adapter but can only focus about 1cm in front of the glass.  Great if you need to get a splinter out of your finger or something, but not so useful for anything else!

1 hour ago, xzobinx said:

what's the issue actually? rear element hits the glass? 

no... i suffer badly from procrastination :blush:

just watched some youtubes on resolve 16 not really knowing what i'm doing, here's the second ever mini production.  I even had a go at grading, next time i might add some transitions but i need to play around a lot more. I can crash resolve pretty easily, i presume i need to throw more ram at it. Having said that 16.1.1 worked better than the 15 i had before and seems to work flow better after watch some youtubes for me anyway. feel free to comment. i need to learn one way or another.

shot in the back yard quite late, three static tripod mounted shots, bmp4k, russian lomo 40mm triplet, raw 3 to 1 compression. Interestingly there's a 191 Mb difference between h.264 and h.265. You guys got h.264 ? A cheap toshiba 32 gig card from woolworths worked surprisingly well with braw 3 to 1, with dng's i could get 35 seconds braw easily doubled that.

would like to know how you guys shoot into the sun for flares ?  i had a go at it but it ended badly maybe i need to stop down perhaps. more youtubes and experimenting i guess

here's a pic of the adapters i had, the left is m42 i did have a m39 to m42 step up ring but when i mount the lomo lens theres no infinity focus with the l39 adapter i can achieve infinity focus. as you can see theres quite a size difference.

adapters.jpg

2 hours ago, leslie said:

would like to know how you guys shoot into the sun for flares ?  i had a go at it but it ended badly maybe i need to stop down perhaps. more youtubes and experimenting i guess

Sun flare is part of lens characteristic. While my zeiss milvus is bloody sharp with a good dose of micro contrast, the coating eliminate any short of sun flare whatsoever. 

during bridal shot I like to use canon 50mm f1.2 to get that crazy sunflare.

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 12.09.35 am.png

3 hours ago, mercer said:

@leslie I really like the color contrast you’re getting from the P4K. It’s very natural but also cinematic. Nice job. 

thanks @mercer coming from you, thats high praise indeed ?

honestly i think it must be beginners luck :blush:  I watched one dudes youtube on how he grades, he's called the loam ranger. He does mountain bike riding and uses a gopro, he likes to shoot flat as possible. I just copied what he does with his footage and applied it to mine. Even then i forgot to adjust the sharpness and i dont think i changed the contrast,  just moved the colour wheels and upped the saturation a little.

I have to confess i like late afternoon a lot, the sun has less bite but has more oomph i think, and its a tad easier to see the screen. Plus the wind has usually died down abit.  Now that i have dipped my toes into the shark infested waters, there probably will be a whole slew of videos pop up ?

9 hours ago, xzobinx said:

Sun flare is part of lens characteristic. While my zeiss milvus is bloody sharp with a good dose of micro contrast, the coating eliminate any short of sun flare whatsoever. 

during bridal shot I like to use canon 50mm f1.2 to get that crazy sunflare.

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 12.09.35 am.png

is that an ef 50mm or 50mm fd lens ?

by the way , i wish you guys would stop showing awesome photos at this rate i'll never save any money ?

33 minutes ago, leslie said:

by the way , i wish you guys would stop showing awesome photos at this rate i'll never save any money ?

I used ef 50mm f1.2 for that shot. 

oh you want to save some money ?

https://www.slrlounge.com/real-lens-flare-right-way/?fbclid=IwAR2XJJb4LosDsxn-_kxXCUnkuTmMEChGSV0bAWr7AjLU8YHcLc4l_vUFGco

55 minutes ago, leslie said:

Ignore @xzobinx and his evil temptations...  lots of older lenses flare like crazy - check out the Super Takumar flare in the car headlight shot of this (it's B&W but you'll get a sense of it):

My memory of the raw footage was that the flare was full of reds and greens, but who knows how it would flare with the sun as it's waaaaaay brighter than car headlights :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 8:37 PM, kye said:

Nowhere close to every Helios, but a sampling...

Finally sat down with footage from over a month ago.  Shot for about 45 minutes with this guy, grabbed some goofy audio, and eventually put in my afternoon of editing.  I used a Helios-44-2.  So, 116mm FF equiv on the M43 camera I used.  Lens had a variable ND filter on it. 

5 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Finally sat down with footage from over a month ago.  Shot for about 45 minutes with this guy, grabbed some goofy audio, and eventually put in my afternoon of editing.  I used a Helios-44-2.  So, 116mm FF equiv on the M43 camera I used.  Lens had a variable ND filter on it.

Damn!  Nice work!!

..and what a character too :) 

FUZZYNORMAL WINS BEST CASTING - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

The Helios really is a nice lens.  I'm looking forward to people seeing the lens tests when I get them done.  I think people will be surprised at how good these things can be.

10 hours ago, kye said:

Damn!  Nice work!!

..and what a character too :) 

FUZZYNORMAL WINS BEST CASTING - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

The Helios really is a nice lens.  I'm looking forward to people seeing the lens tests when I get them done.  I think people will be surprised at how good these things can be.

Yeah, I just like old lenses too.  They don't resolve resolution as well as modern lenses when wide, but... so what?  You get good character out of them.  I did another one of these "hometown" things with the Oly 12-40 Pro f.28, and it looks sharp as a tack, but it's also kind of sterile.  Good for things if that's what you want/need, but I always like taking the edge off of video.

For the chainsaw guy, I shot most of that stuff at f2.8 through a cheap-ass variable ND.  FWIW, if you shoot stopped down a bit and without filters, almost all lenses made in the last 100 years will look fine for video.