The SINGLE SOVIET PRIME LENS challenge

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Just realized my wife has an old Helios-44-2 from her Zenit-E 35mm camera.  The glass is a bit of a loose wobbly thing, but all I need for it is a M42-M43 adapter and I'll be good to go.  I think I'll put it on the GH1 I have buried in the closet and see how it goes.  Need to find something to film now.

Those Helios 44-2s are spectacular lenses.  From a huge lens test, here are a couple of comparisons:

Zeiss Master Anamorphic at T1.9 (~$40,000)

1989794068_1master40kt1.9.thumb.png.46367242f7fba1699ef6490c8b125c83.png

Dog Schidt (rehoused Helios 44 with coatings removed for reduced contrast and cool flares) at T2 (~$50-100)

178976037_3DogSchidtT2.thumb.png.90cae1c7f4a0cffc9d3bd73747e2ccc5.png

Zeiss Master Anamorphic at T4 (~$40,000)

1763561461_5MasterT4.thumb.png.d24b8ec706a7fb2012c41f07a119f09f.png

Dog Schidt (rehoused Helios 44 with coatings removed for reduced contrast and cool flares) at T4 (~$50-100)

708532776_7DogSchidtT4.thumb.png.34a1f330b937100982b7e765d7db2ea6.png

Be sure to zoom into the images and especially compare the Helios at T4.  For a lens that is 0.1% of the cost, it's sure punching above its weight.

I'll probably shoot it with a variable ND @f2.8; depends on the time of day and location, really.  Would rather shoot it "clean" but the variable ND might be necessary depending on the situation.  

Not really worried about it performing well enough though --even through filters.

Trying to figure out what to actually film is the next step. 

Should be an interesting challenge just to shoot something in general, as the focal length is going to be kind of long. 

On 10/13/2019 at 3:26 PM, fuzzynormal said:

I'll probably shoot it with a variable ND @f2.8; depends on the time of day and location, really.  Would rather shoot it "clean" but the variable ND might be necessary depending on the situation.  

Not really worried about it performing well enough though --even through filters.

Trying to figure out what to actually film is the next step. 

Should be an interesting challenge just to shoot something in general, as the focal length is going to be kind of long. 

whats the crop factor your working with ? 

the bmp4k is 2x which will be kinda handy as distance = safety,  you'll understand better after you see the video ?

i'm about 85% certain of an idea i want to pursue. 

i just bought a m42 helicoid to play with. i have a russian enlarger lens and  a polish enlarger lens i want to play with. If the russian lens doesn't turn up in time i'll use the russian enlarger lens. Polands like a stones throw from russia right ? any chance of including it in the challenge  kye ? ?

1 hour ago, leslie said:

whats the crop factor your working with ? 

the bmp4k is 2x which will be kinda handy as distance = safety,  you'll understand better after you see the video ?

i'm about 85% certain of an idea i want to pursue. 

i just bought a m42 helicoid to play with. i have a russian enlarger lens and  a polish enlarger lens i want to play with. If the russian lens doesn't turn up in time i'll use the russian enlarger lens. Polands like a stones throw from russia right ? any chance of including it in the challenge  kye ? ?

Poland sounds like it might fit within the spirit of this competition......

In other news, a package arrived for me today, and I had a quick play and it looks pretty good!  New lenses are quite inspiring I think. ???

3 hours ago, kye said:

Poland sounds like it might fit within the spirit of this competition......

May we, Poles, enter the competition just because we're Polish? ?

5 hours ago, leslie said:

Polands like a stones throw from russia right ?

We're almost as close to Mother Russia as to Switzerland. XD

(not counting Kaliningrad)

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

You'll need to open it up to all former members of the Warsaw Pact now.

9 hours ago, heart0less said:

May we, Poles, enter the competition just because we're Polish? ?

We're almost as close to Mother Russia as to Switzerland. XD

(not counting Kaliningrad)

Ah!  I didn't realise the peanut gallery was awake ???

Right - new rule...  to heckle from the back rows you have to enter the competition (or make a commitment that you will)!

I've already entered, so it can't be that hard ???

5 hours ago, kye said:

Ah!  I didn't realise the peanut gallery was awake ???

Right - new rule...  to heckle from the back rows you have to enter the competition (or make a commitment that you will)!

I've already entered, so it can't be that hard ???

over here we call those back rows the cheap seats ?

i liked the sunrise or sunset nice colour

was there any sound ? didn't hear anything and i dont think there's a rule about that either, disappointing kye, very disappointing ?

1 hour ago, leslie said:

over here we call those back rows the cheap seats ?

i liked the sunrise or sunset nice colour

was there any sound ? didn't hear anything and i dont think there's a rule about that either, disappointing kye, very disappointing ?

Thanks..  there was sound, but no music.  I suggested music but it wasn't a rule :)

I'm pleased with the colour I got because I graded in a new way and it was pretty easy to get that result, so I learned something, despite it not being the most work or best film ever made.  That's kind of what this is about, trying new things and learning.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

3dfzgm.jpg.c3af269235656c456c1ffb4c04a0abd0.jpg

I'm on the fence about them, and have already been asked via PM if they're allowed.  After much googling I realised that the breakup of the USSR was a complicated matter, and that as far as I can tell East Germany was a satellite state, not part of the USSR.  Wether or not this means it was or wasn't "soviet" is something my lawyers are still working on.  So far they've written to request more money for research, but they assure me that they're definitely making progress and it will be any day now.

In terms of this competition, considering it's a public forum and there is basically no prize, I literally can't stop you from entering East German lenses...  However, the point was that we discover new lenses, and I'm fairly sure everyone has heard of Contax Zeiss and the like, whereas very few people would be familiar with the huge bargain that the Industar 50mm F3.5 lens is at US$20 with free worldwide shipping, so that's kind of more what this is about (new things, not the Industar 50/3.5 in particular!!).

Then again, if you're looking for an excuse to buy an East German lens, then.....

If-youre-Looking-for-a-Sign.jpg?resize=2

???

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, kye said:

After much googling I realised that the breakup of the USSR was a complicated matter, and that as far as I can tell East Germany was a satellite state, not part of the USSR. 

As was Poland but you allowed them in ;) 

19 minutes ago, kye said:

In terms of this competition, considering it's a public forum and there is basically no prize, I literally can't stop you from entering East German lenses...  However, the point was that we discover new lenses, and I'm fairly sure everyone has heard of Contax Zeiss and the like, whereas very few people would be familiar with the huge bargain that the Industar 50mm F3.5 lens is at US$20 with free worldwide shipping, so that's kind of more what this is about (new things, not the Industar 50/3.5 in particular!!).

There are a ton of very affordable quality East German lenses out there from Praktica/Pentacon/Meyer-Optik Gorlitz/Carl Zeiss Jena as well to be fair.

The Contax Zeiss lenses that most people are familiar with (the C/Y mount versions) were made in West Germany* rather than East Germany by the way ;)

* and Japan as well

31 minutes ago, kye said:

Then again, if you're looking for an excuse to buy an East German lens, then.....

Looking in my shamefully burgeoning lens drawers, the evidence suggests that I need to find an excuse to sell a few !

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

As was Poland but you allowed them in ;) 

There are a ton of very affordable quality East German lenses out there from Praktica/Pentacon/Meyer-Optik Gorlitz/Carl Zeiss Jena as well to be fair.

The Contax Zeiss lenses that most people are familiar with (the C/Y mount versions) were made in West Germany* rather than East Germany by the way ;)

* and Japan as well

Looking in my shamefully burgeoning lens drawers, the evidence suggests that I need to find an excuse to sell a few !

What can I say - I value someone making something and sharing it rather than being a stickler for the rules.

I finally put my 18-35/1.8 on ebay earlier today.  If you were looking for a sign, this is definitely it!!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, kye said:

at least follow all the rest of the rules!!!!

Ah...hang on.

What I've just shot doesn't follow any of them apart from the lens bit.

I hadn't actually read them as I was primarily just here for the heckling regarding the Soviet sphere of influence post World War II.

Oh well, in the bin it goes.