Jinni.Tech vs. RED Part 4 (1hr long)

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This guy is brilliant. He has already brought Red to its knees. Sony and Apple should hire him for sending Red to the cleaners wrt their fake patents. 

I noticed he has a gofundme campaign, and I  would love to contribute. Anyone who believes in honesty and fighting off the evil behemoths and corporate super bullies,  should help him too. In whatever little way. 

This is truly the modern age David vs Goliath story. 

OK, RED's PR is pretty freaking scummy. Claiming everything was in-house and directly innovated by them when it really wasn't and lying to the press about it is shitty business ethics.

However, I still find admiration for the fact that RED basically LEGO built their camera and marketed better than any of the established players. The other companies just moved too slow. Can't wait for part 5 about REDCODE since a lot hinges on that patent.

I gotta say this has been a great "investigative" documentary series on YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Dunjoye said:

All this is meh. 

Just give me an affordable camera that shoots good. Not interested in all this politics. Doubt any of this revelation will stop red fan boys staning on.

You have lots of options for affordable cameras that shoot good. No one cares about red fanboys here. We care about if RED's patent is valid or not. In this case, details matter.

18 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

We can understand all this but let's stop any animosity against RED or any other manufacturer, can we please?

Haters never broke the heart of filmmakers... Here in EOSHD, just puts down the reputation of this house instead.

Hey guys, thanks for listening BTW : -)

I'll just put my money elsewhere

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

We can understand all this but let's stop any animosity against RED or any other manufacturer, can we please?

Haters never broke the heart of filmmakers... Here in EOSHD, just puts down the reputation of this house instead.

Hey guys, thanks for listening BTW : -)

We have cameras that are unable to shoot internal RAW literally because of RED. You want to stop animosity against a company that is completely screwing everyone else over and suing people left and right? A company that made it so Blackmagic had no choice but to create their own RAW format and made companies like Panasonic, Sony, and Nikon all have to figure out ways to make raw external instead, which in turn makes the rest of us have to buy expensive external recorders and expensive SSDs? Seriously, no offense man - but you should probably quit telling people what to do and how to treat companies, especially companies that are making our work life more difficult and more expensive. Also, dont forget where you are - this is EOSHD, where the creator of the site is very critical of companies - which in turn pushes them to be better and to quit their bullshit. So in conclusion, please get off your high horse and realize that we shouldn’t bow down to big bad RED and let them push us around with their bullshit patent. And this “animosity” is very much warranted.

I don't know why, but RED's history and behaviour make me draw parallels with Lance Armstrong, arguably the most disgraceful sportspersons (if he can be called that), in the history of sports. How he bullied everyone, lied, took drugs by the truckloads, manipulated things etc. 

You get to see a lot of interesting history behind sensor technology in this episode. I don't see any wrongdoings by RED in this particular case as I don't think that what sensor a camera is using is any sort of public domain, that's one of those things that should be a company secret otherwise you are just handing out the heart of your business to your competition for free. Of course personally I'm always intrigued to learn what sensor a specific camera is using but I don't see it as a right that the company needs to supply me with this data. So in that sense I think RED did everything right on how they obtained their sensor(s).

However what they've done with the minimags and patents are morally deeply questionable.

And the riddle in the end it's obvious that Jannard refer to 1080p as 1k and x4 of those will indeed generate a 4k image, I think Jinni there just taking words a little too literal. But maybe he wasn't serious and that the joke is on me instead ?

He put down a lot of work into this video and you always learn something from them, great job Jinni!

There's a difference between voting with your wallet and spewing hate. I don't really see much of the latter here, but you don't have to look hard on the internet to find comments about RED with more vitriol than useful information. We can disapprove of RED's practices AND keep it civil at the same time, which I think is what @Emanuel is saying. RED is hardly the only company whose strategy is to create a mythos around their brand. They are certainly not the only company to patent everything they can, whether or not the average person would consider those patents valid. And I guarantee they're not the only company that can be found to be lying if you comb through all their forum posts from the last 15 years.

Let's certainly call out bad practice when we see it, but be civil at the same time.

1 hour ago, andjo said:

You get to see a lot of interesting history behind sensor technology in this episode. I don't see any wrongdoings by RED in this particular case as I don't think that what sensor a camera is using is any sort of public domain, that's one of those things that should be a company secret otherwise you are just handing out the heart of your business to your competition for free.

I also found this episode to be a lot less damning than previous ones. Because to be honest, I'm not concerned with whether RED makes their own sensors or not, or when exactly they invented Redcode. I honestly don't care if someone inaccurately remembers when their company created something. I think the patent should be removed for being obvious, the technicality of when Redcode was invented it might be what overthrows the patent, but it's the obviousness of the concept that makes the patent seem wrong.