EOS 7D Mark II in Q2 2014

mtheory

Just want to keep this thread as rumours of the next 7D are heating up. What we know so far is that 7D will definitely move into the pro territory with a weather-sealed body, 1D auto-focus system, a low light sensor at least as good as 5D3, biggest LCD on the whole EOS lineup and of course 2x Digic 5+ processors.

Personally, I'm hoping to see an edge-to-edge widescreen LCD and 120fps slow-mo on it, as 7D has always been the pioneer in adopting higher frame rates. Latest hardware + RAW capability could truly push this camera into a pro S35mm camera.

Canon really has a chance to get a major hit on their hands with this release, bigger than the 5D lines, which will significantly increase their stake in the independent cinema market.

Will they let Blackmagic take over the indie market, or will they release the Kraken and dominate the indie world again, that's the question.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Your hopes are far too high. Would it be reasonable and possible for Canon to put these things into a new body? Of course. But i've learned in the last 4 years they are just going to disappoint once again.

Andrew I think standard DSLR video is still very much a need for people like me who shoot stills at least as much as they do video. I've borrowed a friends GH3 for a week and just can't bring myself to like an EVF. Maybe soon, though. I really want to love the OMD

Standard DSLR is dead for video. Who the hell wants to get a 7D Mk 2 over a 4K shooting 10bit GH4, or a mirrorless full frame A7R?

The A7R is basically a D800 in image quality so you're a couple of years a bit too late on the D800 love.

Talking about the GH4 like it actually exists and with those features is a bit delusional. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

...so the official name of the actual  7D gen is "Mark 1"? 

Nope. Maybe Canon will go for another name, although changing the number would be weird because that would implicate another product line. First camera's in a line never got a 'Mark 1' designation:

Canon EOS 5D > 5D Mark II > Mark III
Canon EOS 1D > 1D Mark II > Mark III > Mark IV
Canon EOS 1Ds > 1Ds Mark II > Mark III

• Administrators

Canon get alot of stick on here and are deemed evil for protecting their high end... But they could very, very easily shut ML out of the software, so deserve some credit. I think they know that most pros can't risk using ML in real world situations.

Who are they protecting the high end FROM exactly? Those consumers who can only afford £1000?

Who are they protecting the high end FROM exactly? Those consumers who can only afford £1000?

I have to say I've change my thinking on this.  I used to think they'd protect their high end, but after a few months with ML, I can see that there is no real threat of consumer, or even semi-professional cams, from affecting the high end market. I've written many posts on the ML forum trying to create I, I don't know what to call it, a more professional environment.  One of responsibility to the film-maker.  Nada.  ML will remain a small sub-culture of DSLR experimentation.  Nothing wrong with that!  But there are really few people using it.  Not enough to enter Canon's marketing

Anyway, even if the C100 was identical to the EOS-M, but only had a bunch of extra nobs and a higher price, most people would still buy it!  Of course, it is different.  

The bigger problem with video is the amount of work that goes into it.  Most of my friends won't even put in the time to edit their photos...so video! 

What's interesting to me is Nikon didn't put video into that new camera.  I don't believe they should, but easily could have.  I also believe they're not as dumb as some would make them out.  

The fact is, and I think this is what is so frustrating to all, especially Andrew, it wouldn't take too much additional effort for the camera makers to put better video in these cameras.  From my experiments with the EOS-M, I can tell you it would be very easy to create crop-mode 720p raw from that camera.  ML already does it.

To Canikon we're nobodies.  

what?.... they are worried about the opposite... the big spenders ditching the $15k cameras for a $3k camera.

As i said, they don't care too much about ML as they know the big spenders simply cannot risk using 5Draw as their A cams.