Whats your dream videography kit?

Mako Sports

Rules

1. Equipment has to already exist.

2. Add a statement on what you shoot. 

3. Why you chose the equipment. 

I shoot sports highlights at the high school, college, and pro level. Also I occasionally shoot sports documentary's. 

My dream kit consists of  -

Body - Sony FX9 -  a cheaper alternative than the Arri Amira and F55, and a step above the most popular Super 35 camera on the market (FS7)

Lens - Sigma 120 - 300 F2.8  decently long enough zoom for sports with a nice fast aperture. 

Lens 2 - Sony 200 - 600 F5.6/6.3 For when I need the extra range +  autofocus

Tripod - Miller DS20 with the Flowtech 75 legs

Focus - Zacuto Z drive + Tornado running on a focus gear

Peripheral 1 - Zacuto Gratical eye micro EVF

Peripheral 2 - Smallhd 503 Ultrabright 5 inch monitor

Audio 1 - Sennheiser 8060 shotgun microphone

Audio 2 - Lectrosonics L series wireless lav + Sanken Cos 11d mic

Adapter - Sigma MC11

Extra - XDCA extension unit so I can run V mount batteries

Total - Just over $26,000

Kit - for pictures - https://kit.com/MakoSports/dream-sports-videography-kit

I chose this kit because I need good high frame rates, the choice of built in XLRs and ND filters is not negotiable so this eliminates RED and mirrorless camera for me. Broadcast capabilities (SDI, timecode, etc) are a bonus, and I occasionally like to use autofocus. 

Senny and Lectro make bullet proof pro grade audio equipment. And since camera LCDs and EVFs usually suck - I went with 3rd party options from Smallhd and Zacuto.

I have only heard good things about Miller fluid heads and the Sachtler Flowtech system so that choice was easy. 

I did not include lights because as a sports shooter I hardly ever the chance to light stuff lol. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Probably a toss between the C500 MK2 and the Sony FX9

But edge goes to Canon with the C300 MK2 as a B cam. 

with the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 

Sigma 24, 50, and 85 cine lenses 

Flowtech 75 legs

Tilta Wireless Follow focus kit 

Ninja V monitor 

4x Aputure 300d ii

4x QUASAR rgb lights

2x mombo combos

That's a start ??

I do very low budget films, weddings, events, and corporate videos. 

The C500 mk2 is kind of a no brainer. Built in ND's, good codec, 2k 120p and PDAF, the C300 MK2 isn't far behind. I like Zoom lenses for their convenience. Sigma Primes for critical manual focus situations. 

I could go on for a long time about lighting but the 300d's are on my wish list right now along with Quasars. Honestly don't care about the aputure brand. Any of the 1500w equivalent LED's out right now look good. 

My dream kit is (mostly) my actual kit because even if I was super-rich there aren't other options that have the combination of features I want.

Setup One

Things I already own: GH5, Rode VMP+, Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95, Canon FD 70-200mm F4 + Canon 2X TC

Things I would upgrade:

• I would replace my SLR Magic 8mm F4 with the Laowa 7.5mm F2 for ergonomics and low-light ability
  • I would consider replacing my Konica Hexanon 40mm F1.8 with the Voigtlander 42.5mm f0.95
  • I would replace my cheap monopod with a nice monopod, maybe a Sirui one with the three little feet on the bottom

Setup Two

Things I already own: Sony X3000 action camera with remote control monitor thingy, finger cage thingy

Both setups use Area-Swiss style QR mounts and also the Peak Design Capture quick release plates for ease of use.

The reason I choose this setup is that I shoot travel videos of my family as well as sports of my kid playing football.  The considerations here are that the camera can't be big enough to attract negative attention (from other parents, or from security at private places that don't allow 'commercial' photography) and can't be heavy enough to not hand-hold all day (many places don't allow tripods or are too busy / cramped to use them anyway, and we're normally on the move and often on-off boats or busses or whatever so I need to be able to move quickly).  I like the low-light of the fast apertures and combined with MFT they don't have too shallow a DoF to use.  Having a 16-35mm fast zoom would be great, but no-one makes a f0.95 zoom, and if I went FF and got a 16-35mm f2.8 it would be slower, have deeper DoF than my 17.5mm (which is equivalent of a 35mm F2), and would be too heavy to hand-hold.  I don't change between 16mm and 35mm too often and if I needed to then I can use the X3000 which has a wide on it.  Wide shots in low light are either worth swapping lenses for or aren't worth getting.

I really feel like most people would love to buy an ARRI LF and Master Anamorphic Primes or something, but my setup is the best compromise for me regardless of price that yet exists.

Sony FS7mk2 (I'm very tempted to write the FX9.... but I feel like that would too massively impact my lens choices :-/ Panasonic Varicam LT and EVA1 was tough to ignore as well, but they don't have the flexibility of the E Mount. Ditto UMP G2)
Sony a7Smk2 as B Cam. (not the greatest mirrorless camera, not in this rapidly changing marketplace, but for easy workflow matching the FS7, perhaps the most "practical" choice?)
Sony RX0mk2 (as the "C Cam" for those action camera shots)

Fujifilm 18-55mm T2.9 + 50-135mm T2.9
Tokina 11-20mm F2.8
Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 + 50-100mm f1.8
Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 
Sony 35mm f1.8 OSS
Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS
Sony 18-110mm F4
Mitakon Zhongyi 50mm F0.95
Mitakon Zhongyi 35mm F0.95

Zillions of accessories: gimbal, EasyRig, Dana Dolly, tripod, VCT-14 shoulder rig (I love my SmallRig one, video coming up soon with it in use today!), monitors, etc etc

Fully loaded up Zaxcom Nova with all the goodies (internal RX, and the new micro sized TXs with DPA 6060 lavs, URX100 as well) + Cedar DNS2 + Sanken CS3e + Sanken CS1e + Sanken CSM1 + 2x Sanken CUB-01 + Sennhieser MKH60

All the lights Aputure makes. 

Plus a billion other things. 

btw, I'll note the title said VIDEOGRAPHY.

Thus I wrote my list with a very strong bias there, I am assuming this is mostly for work where I'm doing it solo or only with maybe max five other crew. (such as director / producer / camera assistant / sound / gaffer)

if I was to put together a dream "filmmaking kit" then it would be very very different, I'd be selecting PL lenses, tossing up between a VENICE or Arri Mini, etc etc

corporate / education / some narrative 

My dream is to keep it all in one backpack. (It never works out that way, but I see no reason why it shouldn't) 

So ...

(gear I have)

GH5, Voigtlander 25mm, Lumix 15mm, Lumix Nocticron 42.5.

Zoom F4, rode NTG 3 (and cable and pole stuff)

Any small, semi-decent tripod. 

For the work I currently do:

Ursa Mini Pro G2 w/vf & shoulder kit

Sigma 18-35 Cine

Sigma 50-100 Cine

For primes I guess I'd get a set of the Sigma's so that everything kind of matches.

Ziess 70-200 CZ.2

Canon 400 f/2.8 & 600 f/4

Miller Arrow 30 (already have)

A couple of Litepanel Gemini 2x1's plus some 1x1's for when I need to run on battery.

Inovativ Voyager EVO 30 Cart (because of it's light weight)

I shoot an outdoor adventure TV show, some commercial work, some local brands/fashion and a bit of surfing. A big variety and generally fast-paced micro-crew stuff. Prores is more important to me that raw because I do most of the post work myself too. Raw isn't very appealing when you have to edit & store everything yourself, as opposed to just handing the cards over at the end of the day.

The UMP appeals to me because it's one of the few cameras that allows you to shoulder rig it well without becoming insanely heavy or complex. If most of my work was on fully crewed productions, I'd say Alexa LF no doubt. Why go for anything less that the best, if you've got all the support around you?

Actually, already have it and am more than satisified with it, - can't think of anything that beats it for my needs...which is 'run & gun' style wedding video/filming at the same time as being a wedding photographer working alone. No second, no assistant, no nothing.

XT3 on tripod shooting 25p 4k internally Eterna profile with a variety of audio options based on the set up for ceremony and speeches. Unmanned most of the time.

Pair of cheap Canon lenses and Fringer Pro adapter.

XT3 on freestanding monopod shooting 50p 4k internally Eterna and mirrors in a video sense, pretty much everything I do photographically. It's the more considered tool.

Pair of Fuji lenses.

OSMO Action mounted on the second XT3 hotshoe shooting; entrances, exits, food service, band & dancing both as primary and backup depending on the scenario.

Mavic Air.

Sony FDR AX100 1" sensor camcorder on tripod, unmanned, back up/client pure ceremony and speeches full length production.

And other than the various bits of audio and lighting kit etc, that's it. 

Small and lightweight as poss balancing outright quality with portability/real world useage.

Criticisms?

Battery life on the XT3's requires the monopod and tripod to each have an Anker power bank gaffer taped on, otherwise...nada.

OSMO Action? Bigger Fuji matching sensor would be nice, but being realistic...

Mavic Air? Ditto. Stick the Fuji sensor in and I'd be a happy boy. A complete dreamer, but...

Total cost I reckon was around 7000 euros total?

3 hours ago, ShaunC said:

My dream is to keep it all in one backpack. (It never works out that way, but I see no reason why it shouldn't) 

Hmmmm......  if that is so....

3 hours ago, ShaunC said:

Zoom F4, rode NTG 3 (and cable and pole stuff)

Then swap that Zoom F4 for a Sound Devices MixPre3!

(and I say that even as a big big big time Zoom F Series fan! Love my F8n)

55 minutes ago, kye said:

@IronFilm Nice calls on the Fujinon zooms - very nice image from those..  and also the Sigma f1.8 zooms that @barefoot_dp also mentioned.

I couldn't decide! Thus selected the Fuji which would be good for most work, but then if you really wanted that extra stop and a bit of light for a particular shoot then you've got the Sigmas as well!

56 minutes ago, kye said:

and when you say "I'll note the title said VIDEOGRAPHY." I'll give you permission - what film-making kit would you have?? :) 

Please excuse me while I go list everything everywhere that ever has been made. 

As purely for my SOUND PACKAGE I'm going to need a truck to carry it all:

image.png.d04be98f2092f086bc92a977c857bb2e.png

Yes, this truck.  This exact truck. 

I'm not even joking. 

My only worry? Is that it might be too small!

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, this truck.  This exact truck. 

I'm not even joking. 

My only worry? Is that it might be too small!

You should make living quarters in there. Start a YouTube channel called cargo truck life.

Title of the first video should be: WHY Cargo TRUCK life DESTROYS Van Life”. You will need to photoshop bikini girl on top of your truck for the clicks maybe have the truck crushing a van with the front tire.

You know it’s gold. 

34 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Only ONE anamorphic??

I don't like anamorphic  that much at very long or wide focal lengths. So any project I shot anamorphic would be planned out and shooting only that focal length, my favorite focal length and squeeze. I know that is weird :)

19 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Its a $40,000 piece of glass. We cant be too greedy lol

If you can only pick one, why not something a bit less wide?

2x stretch means it'll be as wide as a 20mm, and even on s35 that'll seem pretty wide as an only lens. (pretty sure the Master Anamorphics only do s35 coverage)

The 60mm or 75mm might be a better choice. Shooting the Cooke 2x's on Arri Alexa/Mini, I've found the 75mm is my go-to and the one I'd pick if I could only choose one, but that is shooting in open-gate mode. I might lean towards the 60mm if I had a little less sensor area to work with, as with the FX9 in s35 mode.

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Actually, already have it and am more than satisified with it, - can't think of anything that beats it for my needs...which is 'run & gun' style wedding video/filming at the same time as being a wedding photographer working alone. No second, no assistant, no nothing.

Sometimes the smaller the better if you are a one man band.

Do mostly action and sports photos and videos. Pro Ice Hockey, Car Racing, Alpine ski, Trial Bike, Horse Show Jumping, Figure Skating, etc…

Canon C500 II

*Canon 1Dx II

Canon M6 II + EF Adapter

Chronos 2.1

*EF-M 22 2

*EF-M 11-22

*Canon 16-35 2.8

*Canon 24-105 4

*Canon 200-400 4

*Canon 24 1.4

*Canon 50 1.2

Canon 85 1.2

*Canon 8-16 fisheye

Inspire 2 x7 + DJI x7 lens set

*Insta360 one X

4x Aputure 300D + battery

*Tripods

*DJI Ronin Gimbal

tons of other accessories

*Already own.

For action and sports I need AF, too hard to do it manually for me. Need at least 4k 60p so having canon lenses C500 II it is a no brainer. M6 II as small hidden remote camera where more than gopro / insta360 quality is needed.  Inspire x7 would be a good step up, currently using a phantom 4 pro. Chronos would be for some special super slow motion, would never buy one but view that is a dream kit list….

Panasonic S1H in a dream world where it has 4k100fps and PDAF. 

Ronin S whatever. 

Edelkrone HeadPlus kit. 

An even more compact Flowtech 75.

A bag of compact but powerful RGBW lights. 

All Sigma ARTs. 

All the Richard Gale (Dog Schidt stuff) lenses. 

Haze machine. 

I actually own half of the above. I’m incredibly intrigued at the idea of getting a full cinematography kit in just one rolling, portable case. Inc lights, gimbals, everything. Can it be done?