Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

Does that mean in theory RED could sue the Magic Lantern people? 

My understanding is Canon turn a blind eye to ML as long as they don't develop for the brand new cameras. But Canon and RED are playing nicely at the moment, trading compressed raw for the RF mount - so in theory, isn't in both of their interests to stop Magic Lantern?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Does that mean in theory RED could sue the Magic Lantern people? 

My understanding is Canon turn a blind eye to ML as long as they don't develop for the brand new cameras. But Canon and RED are playing nicely at the moment, trading compressed raw for the RF mount - so in theory, isn't in both of their interests to stop Magic Lantern?

Since Magic Lantern is free, and the team of developers do not make money from it, I can’t see how Canon or Red would be able to win a lawsuit.

I’d think either company would have to show damages to win.

Hell, the Magic Lantern team could probably argue that they have made Canon money. I wouldn’t have bought a 5D3, Canon lenses, or Canon batteries, if not for ML.

Couple of things....wasn't BlackMagic forced tp drop in-camera CinemaDNG because of the violation of RED's pattent? Did Sigma work out a deal with RED?

8bit raw? I dont think any modern sensor today samples that low. So, my guess is...if this is a Sony sensor with on-board A/D converters...is that they are taking in 12bit readout and dropping out 4 bits to produce 8bit values?

Something is fishy here.....has the L Mount Alience forced Sigma to stay at 8bit raw to not compete with Panasonic?

Weird....what about 10bit or 12bit raw over HDMI to an Atomos recorder?

Really strange.,,,,,

28 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Couple of things....wasn't BlackMagic forced tp drop in-camera CinemaDNG because of the violation of RED's pattent? Did Sigma work out a deal with RED?

8bit raw? I dont think any modern sensor today samples that low. So, my guess is...if this is a Sony sensor with on-board A/D converters...is that they are taking in 12bit readout and dropping out 4 bits to produce 8bit values?

Something is fishy here.....has the L Mount Alience forced Sigma to stay at 8bit raw to not compete with Panasonic?

Weird....what about 10bit or 12bit raw over HDMI to an Atomos recorder?

Really strange.,,,,,

i think Sigma might go for the uncompressed "external" angle. afaik the RED patent only covers compressed 4k RAW? i really like the idea of uncompressed 12bit 4K raw ... reminds me of the ML days. now this or the S1H, i am torn

On 9/19/2019 at 4:21 AM, kye said:

One advantage of RAW is shooting green-screen and getting clean edges.  Most forms of compression crunch edges and give you halo problems, so this would be an advantage, especially if you lit and exposed well to get the image right in-camera.  In a sense this becomes really great for film students and small-budget productions where you're cutting out the LOG profile / colour grading in post headaches but still retain many RAW benefits.

Would 8-bit RAW be noticeably better than 10bit 4-2-2? Even for post work? 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:44 PM, seku said:

It would surely be a hassle, but doable : have a 1 or 2 tera NVME drive for filming, then later offload and compress it to normal SSD storage. 

You could use Slimraw (it does up to 7:1 compression on cDNG), or CineForm Raw. Maybe we will see some BRAW solutions later?

Yes. Hopefully some good compressed RAW formats soon. Uncompressed, the file sizes could be way too large. 

10 hours ago, sanveer said:

Would 8-bit RAW be noticeably better than 10bit 4-2-2? Even for post work? 

I don't know as I haven't done it myself, but that is normally quote as one of the reasons you shoot raw.  

I think the difference is the compression.  If you are shooting RAW then there will be a pixel just to one side of an edge and it should be completely the colour of your green screen, there will be an edge pixel which probably has some green and some object colour, and the next pixel should have no green in it whatsoever. I think with most forms of compression you end up with that transition line (where the colour of the pixel is a mix of green and the subject colour) being a lot wider than one pixel, which creates problems getting a clean edge mask, so you end up with the subject having a green halo, or you have to crop into the subject to eliminate all the green but now the subject edges have all been chopped off.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DBounce said:

How can this be a “comprehensive” first impression without a single image or a single frame of footage? 

I'll tell you exactly why

Sigma had the camera there with only the second firmware ever developed, pre-beta... More like an alpha copy of it. The image quality is far from final, and they dictate when they want to release the images, not me.

Do you know when your driver's license gets full of points because you're reckless and have annoyed other road users - that's your forum license @DBounce - definitely one of the more annoying, rude and biased users I have to respond too on here. So be careful, as bad drivers get banned.

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, Sid said:

I have a collection of Canon FD lenses.  Could anyone recommend a decent adapter for this camera please.

Novoflex do one for about £150 but there are generic ones like this for under £20.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pixco-Adapter-Canon-Camera-FD-Leica/dp/B07BRCX6W5/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=fd+to+leica+t&qid=1569155278&s=gateway&sr=8-1

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'll tell you exactly why

Sigma had the camera there with only the second firmware ever developed, pre-beta... More like an alpha copy of it. The image quality is far from final, and they dictate when they want to release the images, not me.

Do you know when your driver's license gets full of points because you're reckless and have annoyed other road users - that's your forum license @DBounce - definitely one of the more annoying, rude and biased users I have to respond too on here. So be careful, as bad drivers get banned.

does it mean we have to say amen to every word you say or every feedback you give ?

because it sounds like it and that's a bit scary.

you think this camera is good ? none have seen a footage and from what i see from the specs it is far from beeing a revolution from my point of view.

it's a bit of a "terror" feeling here, don't agree with me and get banned ? sad if it is your thinking, but maybe the way you said it was just awkward.

webrunner was a pain and was rude to many here, i don't recall you threatening him of a ban in the last monthes. maybe because he wasn't rude to you ? (well he banned himself since).

you act a bit like red with you, tell things i don't like and i'll sue you. well...

i don't find his question to be disrespectfull.