Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 6:55 AM, alanpoiuyt said:

You might consider getting a Blackmagic Video Assist to record Braw from the FP instead of buying a new computer and lots of storage for the cDNG files. All 3 cameras will record Braw. My 2014 fully specced Macbook Pro handles Braw fine in Resolve. Of course you won't need the Video Assist for the BMPCCs.

Hello! What the generation of BVA will be able to record braw? Can I buy the cheapest 1st generation for this? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Nimatu said:

Hello! What the generation of BVA will be able to record braw? Can I buy the cheapest 1st generation for this? Thanks.

I believe you if you have the latest firmware for the BVA and the FP you should be all set. Maybe double check with Blackmagic design support.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:38 PM, Nimatu said:

Only the 12g versions can record Braw. 

Is anyone here using EF lenses on their FP? I want to get the  MC21, but it just seems so expensive for what it is. And I think Fotodiox stopped making their adapter. 

On 5/17/2021 at 9:33 AM, Anaconda_ said:

Only the 12g versions can record Braw. 

Is anyone here using EF lenses on their FP? I want to get the  MC21, but it just seems so expensive for what it is. And I think Fotodiox stopped making their adapter. 

Yes, I have used the EF 35mm f2.0, EF 28mm f2.8 and EF S 18-135, EF S 10-18, EF S15-85. All work well with the MC21 adapter - stabilization and push-to-focus-AF. Examples:

Yesterday I unexpectedly shot quite a bit with my FP and 5inch Video Assist. Man, what a combo! It's so small, and lightweight. The person I was filming told me half the time, he didn't even notice I was rolling, and of course when I put it next to my Pocket4k footage, it grades exactly the same, or possibly better. Very easy to match.

I was thinking of selling the FP, because for the types of things I shoot, cDNG is just not viable (longform interviews). But then a deal for the VA12g came up, and I thought it'd give it a try. Now I'm completely sold. With this setup, I've turned a great camera that's was no fun for me to use, into a very fun, take anywhere cine-cam.

My shoot yesterday was very unexpected, but I happened to have the camera in my satchel with a 28mm f2.8 FD lens. It was a dream setup, that I'm basically going to take everywhere from now on.

IMG_1266.thumb.jpg.bbb57f1bc607b7a257b5194fd0039503.jpgIMG_1267.thumb.jpg.a18fc157fafc9443bf4d92d6684faad0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated to V3.0 and wow, what a great update. Every button on the camera is now customisable.

With my setup above, changing any settings in the quick menu means moving the VA out the way. But now I can have ISO on the front dial, shutter on the left and right buttons, volume on up and down. Then all the buttons along the bottom can be a whole host of over functions.

To top it off, it also gives real 24p UHD cDNG. Jeez.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp/?tab=support&local=firmware

18 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

With my setup above, changing any settings in the quick menu means moving the VA out the way. But now I can have ISO on the front dial, shutter on the left and right buttons, volume on up and down. Then all the buttons along the bottom can be a whole host of over functions.

I really love the way you set it up; I've done something similar with my original Pocket Cinema Camera when using it on a glidecam and it's a great solution. These updates to the fp really have me seriously considering it as my next camera. I currently use an A7iii for stills but never for video (just not worth it, I can get so much better footage from my old Pocket or Micro Cinema cameras), but for travel I'd like to be able to use just one camera for stills and video. The fp has some drawbacks in the stills department (mainly the e-shutter) but there isn't any other hybrid camera that appeals to me. And since I only use adapted lenses I'd just need to get new L-mount adapters to use all my existing lenses with the fp.

Are there any, current or former, 5D3 ML Raw users shooting with the FP now?

In some ways, the FP feels like a sidestep, but there are some features... shutter angle, waveform monitor, dual gain iso, the smaller size, etc... that makes it very appealing.

However, I still feel like the FP would be an intermediary, or side camera, for me until there's a true 5D3/ML Raw equivalent camera upgrade released.

The R3 sounds very promising... but also very expensive.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, Andrew Reid said:

What about the 1D X Mark III? Internal Canon RAW on a DSLR. It's definitely closest to 5D3 RAW in terms of image

I was thinking about that. The footage from the 1DX3 looks fantastic. I'm kinda hoping the R3 will either be cheaper, or drive the price of the IDX3 down.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sigma fp series of cameras are very capable. I’m actually thrilled that I’m able to produce expensive images on a budget. This allows me to build out the accessories needed to run a smoother production. Here are some unprocessed screen grabs of a project I’m working on. I’ll be also using these cameras to film a series based on a popular subject within the Hip Hop industry. 

Also here’s a link of a comedy skit I filmed for an extremely known TikTok personality who is trying to build up her YouTube channel. 

I don’t  follow the popular camera trends and what’s hot, hence my name here AltShoo which is an abbreviated form of Alternative Shooter. This is why I use the JVC-GYLS300 and even though the next camera I’m mentioning  is the most “popular” camera in my arsenal, it’s still not a trendy tool, I own an EVA1. 

4E97D85C-962A-4D52-B879-B68722B5B482.jpeg

FE55843E-08D4-4DE9-948A-93B850495A6A.jpeg

E3915A01-130B-45E7-8E23-DFD9FDD0D652.jpeg

FACA24AC-0C25-404E-8E1C-CD19652E0280.jpeg

E638F4FD-6998-405E-B40D-9E446530C706.jpeg

2A9AF027-D748-4908-AF44-F429F83E77CC.jpeg

79187913-2646-4325-88CF-50C18ED59B3F.jpeg

655B010A-5AB7-4B30-B368-0E6846F82EBA.jpeg

AD1FA37F-1146-4A57-B666-064655201BDE.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know of a way to have AF for stills, but MF for video - without having to tell the camera what to do each time you flick the switch?

I've gone through the menu, and changed the Focus settings for video to complete MF, and even enabling tried AF + MF, but everytime I go to Stills and enable AF, it also enables AF for Cine mode. I really hope there's a way to keep them seperate.

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Does anyone know of a way to have AF for stills, but MF for video - without having to tell the camera what to do each time you flick the switch?

I've gone through the menu, and changed the Focus settings for video to complete MF, and even enabling tried AF + MF, but everytime I go to Stills and enable AF, it also enables AF for Cine mode. I really hope there's a way to keep them seperate.

Think that is possible if you configure one of the custom settings. C1 for example. 

On 5/24/2021 at 9:16 AM, Anaconda_ said:

Yesterday I unexpectedly shot quite a bit with my FP and 5inch Video Assist. Man, what a combo! It's so small, and lightweight. The person I was filming told me half the time, he didn't even notice I was rolling, and of course when I put it next to my Pocket4k footage, it grades exactly the same, or possibly better. Very easy to match.

I was thinking of selling the FP, because for the types of things I shoot, cDNG is just not viable (longform interviews). But then a deal for the VA12g came up, and I thought it'd give it a try. Now I'm completely sold. With this setup, I've turned a great camera that's was no fun for me to use, into a very fun, take anywhere cine-cam.

My shoot yesterday was very unexpected, but I happened to have the camera in my satchel with a 28mm f2.8 FD lens. It was a dream setup, that I'm basically going to take everywhere from now on.

IMG_1266.thumb.jpg.bbb57f1bc607b7a257b5194fd0039503.jpgIMG_1267.thumb.jpg.a18fc157fafc9443bf4d92d6684faad0.jpg

Old post I know. But do you leave this little setup rigged when placed in your camera bag?  Do you leave the HDMI clamp in place?