Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

https://www.red.com/red-101/bayer-sensor-strategy

Those with a video encoding background may want to try and apply the 4:2:2, 4:1:1, etc. categorizations to a Bayer sensor, but this terminology is intended for compression methodologies and final images, not the sensors themselves. A 4K Bayer sensor is capable of producing full 4K 4:4:4 RGB files, for example; 4:2:2 is what could be applied to this file afterwards.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello,

My first post here and this might be a really stupid question, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong on my new fp, and this is frustrating. The Sports 60-600, Canon EF mount, is mounted on the fp with the MC-21 adapter, and I can't get the camera to focus on a specific point with the usual half-press of the shutter button.

Lens is of course set to AF (and whenever the lens switch is changed to MF, the camera acknowledges it and displays MF), on camera, touch operation is on, I manage to display the grid of AF points and tap to select one, move it around, change its size, whatever.

But a half-press on the shutter can't bring the AF on my chosen point. Half-press does nothing at all actually. (Taking pictures with the full press does function though.)

Even more frustrating is that when setting Pre-AF : On, it does auto-focus then, but does it (as name implies) constantly and automatically when the lens is moved around, i.e. when the chosen AF point aims at something far or something close. That's too much, and I hear my lens struggling constantly. On Cine mode, there's also that continuous focus going on, but I guess that's by design.

I want the camera to autofocus according to the chosen AF point, when I want it.

Is there something I missed, settings-wise or else ?

6 hours ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

it would look the same except one difference is 12 bit for the video vs 14 bit for the still

Makes sense! Not that I see any huge need for 6K as-is for the sake of it any time soon, other than having more padding for compositional adjustments or post-stabilization in the vein of what Fincher does. I think even with Gone Girl they captured at 6K, cropped and stabilized for 5K, then delivered a 4K downsampled master from that. Resolution is definitely the one thing we have plenty of from most cameras.

19 hours ago, Mallard said:

A screenshot from one of the first videos I took with my fp; what could have caused this blown-out black on my cat ? Everything black or dark in the video has this weird shiny cast.

blown_out_black.png

Are you able to upload or send the DNG?

This looks like a workflow issue more than a camera one. Or was this shot in the first place with a .mov format? If it is then it would be a bug by the look of it unless VLC is doing something odd. Does it look the same in other applications?

cheers
Paul

23 hours ago, paulinventome said:

This looks like a workflow issue more than a camera one. Or was this shot in the first place with a .mov format? If it is then it would be a bug by the look of it unless VLC is doing something odd. Does it look the same in other applications?

In fact, this issue only happens on my laptop, the video played on my desktop at work is fine. My laptop or VLC must have a calibration problem.

More important is my issue with the non-functioning AF on stills, as I mentioned upthread:

On 2/25/2020 at 12:34 PM, Mallard said:

My first post here and this might be a really stupid question, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong on my new fp, and this is frustrating. The Sports 60-600, Canon EF mount, is mounted on the fp with the MC-21 adapter, and I can't get the camera to focus on a specific point with the usual half-press of the shutter button.

Lens is of course set to AF (and whenever the lens switch is changed to MF, the camera acknowledges it and displays MF), on camera, touch operation is on, I manage to display the grid of AF points and tap to select one, move it around, change its size, whatever.

But a half-press on the shutter can't bring the AF on my chosen point. Half-press does nothing at all actually. (Taking pictures with the full press does function though.)

Even more frustrating is that when setting Pre-AF : On, it does auto-focus then, but does it (as name implies) constantly and automatically when the lens is moved around, i.e. when the chosen AF point aims at something far or something close. That's too much, and I hear my lens struggling constantly. On Cine mode, there's also that continuous focus going on, but I guess that's by design.

I want the camera to autofocus according to the chosen AF point, when I want it.

Is there something I missed, settings-wise or else ?

I also had an issue with a stuck red pixel on the screen of my new fp, and other red pixels randomly blinking. Fortunately, the store I bought it at is going to replace it.

Is Sigma guilty of some sloppy quality control ? Because even with my cheapest point-and-shoots in the past, I didn't have those problems.

19 hours ago, Mallard said:

In fact, this issue only happens on my laptop, the video played on my desktop at work is fine. My laptop or VLC must have a calibration problem.More important is my issue with the non-functioning AF on stills, as I mentioned upthread:I also had an issue with a stuck red pixel on the screen of my new fp, and other red pixels randomly blinking. Fortunately, the store I bought it at is going to replace it.
Is Sigma guilty of some sloppy quality control ? Because even with my cheapest point-and-shoots in the past, I didn't have those problems.

VLC on Mac is a bit odd to say the least. I would highly recommend 'Screen' for mac as an awesome player (although VLC does attempt more formats). I would point the finger at VLC in this case.

I don't use AF so have no experience of that.

Sigma is guilty of being very open with the camera in the sense it's very RAW. Which i think is awesome.

The reality is that all sensors are going to have missing pixels but 99% of the time you wouldn't know because they're dealt with automatically or in the factory. Even the Reds have missing pixels that get mapped out. If you fly a lot then your sensor will get hit all the time and degrade. Cheap P&S have much smaller pixels so i wonder if it's not as noticeable on them but i would pretty much guarantee that those cameras map out anything odd during the internal processing phase of the camera.

cheers
Paul

3 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

"SIGMA is also developing firmware Ver.1.02, which corrects card errors when using certain SD cards, and introduces added lens aberration correction processing. This is scheduled to be released on Wednesday 18th March 2020."

I wonder whether this will fix the manual exposure bug. Doesn't sound like it...

I'm hoping that post is a case of focusing on the major new feature without listing all the nitty gritty of what else is included!

46 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

"SIGMA is also developing firmware Ver.1.02, which corrects card errors when using certain SD cards, and introduces added lens aberration correction processing. This is scheduled to be released on Wednesday 18th March 2020."

I wonder whether this will fix the manual exposure bug. Doesn't sound like it...

This was announced a while back and i was understanding it would be released beginning of March at the CP show - but that show was cancelled and for some reason the release pushed back a few weeks. Lets hope it was pushed back to fix a few more things...

cheers
Paul