Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

We’re saying (and I just looked at the spec sheet too), it is indeed a 1.5x crop for all video modes, yeah? 

I can't speak for anybody else but I'm certainly not saying that.

1606451087_ScreenShot2019-10-11at18_41_06.png.d70194dc7db5909f4d40a42f66d92a7c.png

The "Crop" reference is in the stills section, not the Movie Recording section.

The figures in brackets after each primary resolution such as this :

1338416632_ScreenShot2019-10-11at18_48_20.png.9ac0fff7801c6887d44a93e112e81486.png

Are indicating what the resolution will be in crop mode if use an APS-C lens (which Sigma refer to as DC lenses for their own brand) hence this indicator at the top of the listings.

1528205159_ScreenShot2019-10-11at18_50_50.png.1888274a1cab330567c51e30d7a1b7a1.png

An unfortunate translation with "DC Clop Mode" as it should of course read "DC Crop Mode".

If you look at the spec for their SD Quattro H, they illustrate this a bit more clearly as its on a separate tab but if you open both you will see the same process, albeit with a smaller reduction as it is not being based on a FF sensor as the SD Quattro H is an APS-H.

72517183_ScreenShot2019-10-11at18_53_42.png.6023d914a70f78a20d650d5c62a7f3d2.png1655935488_ScreenShot2019-10-11at18_55_00.png.a345b969c8a2e72b909c6afea0c3318f.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The "Crop" reference is in the stills section, not the Movie Recording section.

The figures in brackets after each primary resolution such as this :

1338416632_ScreenShot2019-10-11at18_48_20.png.9ac0fff7801c6887d44a93e112e81486.png

Are indicating what the resolution will be in crop mode if use an APS-C lens (which Sigma refer to as DC lenses for their own brand) hence this indicator at the top of the listings.

1528205159_ScreenShot2019-10-11at18_50_50.png.1888274a1cab330567c51e30d7a1b7a1.png

I guess, and yeah I saw that the crop mention was in the stills section, but their shit is all over the place so I don't necessarily trust their copywriters.

It still doesn't really make sense to me though, because a 1.5x crop on 6,000x4,000 isn't 3840x2560 for stills. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Brian Williams said:

I guess, and yeah I saw that the crop mention was in the stills section, but their shit is all over the place so I don't necessarily trust their copywriters.

It still doesn't really make sense to me though, because a 1.5x crop on 6,000x4,000 isn't 3840x2560 for stills. 

They refer to it on the spec sheet as "approx. 1.5 times".

It caused enough confusion at the announcement that I would have thought they'd have clarified it in a new sheet but they've even left the "clop" part of it on so I guess not!

16 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Might as well hit buy and cancel next week if footage comes out and looks bad, that’s my plan at least, wanted to get in line early last night.

I've thought about that, but I'll wait for some comprehensive tests first as I don't think it'll be sold out for 6 months like the P4k. I mostly shoot handheld, so RS is a big concern. Plus I get the feeling - much like Blackmagic cameras or the ghosting in the S1's - once its in the hands of many some warts will surface that will create issues. I'd rather wait to see how everything shakes out first rather than be a beta tester.

Chris

I see nothing to suggest that this is recording movies off anything other than a centre crop. 

I don't see pixel binning working on a 3:2 6K sensor in any way that would make sense. I'm 99.9% that the movies are all centre crop.

I didn't read that about stills, i'd have assumed they were full RAW, 14bit.

Also there's no mention of whether the data in the RAW is linear or log based - 8bit linear would be utterly useless and others have pointed out banding in the movies which originally would have thought it was compression based but maybe not. So 8bit linear is pointless, in fact only 12bit linear starts getting into the realm of normal.

Some clarification from Sigma would be useful, but i guess we don't have to wait that long.

I really want to like this!

cheers
Paul

I am so excited for this camera. Realy like the concept of the hybrid camer re-imagened. 

Also a big plus that is doesnt need a external recorder, but goes directly to a ssd for its DNG recording. 

This way I can see a small m2 ssd enclosure (like the tilta bmpcc 4k mod) snugly against the side becoming a big hit. 

Had it in my hands at IBC and its not as imbalanced as I first thought. However, the loupe is not usable as an evf alternative for me. 

2 hours ago, Martin Kuipers said:

I am so excited for this camera. Realy like the concept of the hybrid camer re-imagened. 

Also a big plus that is doesnt need a external recorder, but goes directly to a ssd for its DNG recording. 

This way I can see a small m2 ssd enclosure (like the tilta bmpcc 4k mod) snugly against the side becoming a big hit. 

Had it in my hands at IBC and its not as imbalanced as I first thought. However, the loupe is not usable as an evf alternative for me. 

Why is the loupe not usable compared to evf?
It worked wel when I tried it.

It does give an extra point of contact when handheld and its pretty decent optically

1 hour ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Why is the loupe not usable compared to evf?
It worked wel when I tried it.

It does give an extra point of contact when handheld and its pretty decent optically

Personaly I found the quality of the loupe-lens a bit disapointing. And it made the ergonomics a little strange to handle (buttons ect)

Great video tool, but I would like to know how competitive it is as a photo camera.

I am very happy with my NX cameras as hybrids(that 16-50mm 2-2.8f is still unbeatable on any mount) and the P4K as dedicated (b)raw machine. Wouldn't mind to move on a full frame mount on a year or two.

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Great video tool, but I would like to know how competitive it is as a photo camera.

Lack of EVF and mechanical shutter won't do it any favours and no wifi/bluetooth connectivity will be a drawback.

Set against that from my own personal point of view though is that, as with the Leica T/CL, the L mount cameras are great platforms for M lenses.

With offerings from Voigtlander and particularly 7Artisans offering fast and compact M mount lenses, the FP will make a great combination as the overall form factor will be smaller even than the diminutive Leica CL despite it being full frame versus APS-C.

1400127872_ScreenShot2019-10-14at19_37_51.png.57d0156debe337ac222ad564b0a1fba3.png

• Super Members
23 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

And don’t forget the potentially crappy focus it may have with that contrast-based system they’re keeping around.

As I say, for what I would be using it for, the AF performance would be moot for me - at least until more affordable L mount lenses show up - but yes I would be hoping that Sigma will have moved it on performance wise from the SD Quattro !