Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

recording for hours with one NPF battery. I have many types, but those are my favorites, because I can power other things too http://www.idxtek.com/products/sl-f50

The SmallHD Focus monitors are smaller than most cameras anyway. I use one.

not smaller than the sigma tho

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hoping Sigma will stick to this form factor, there is something magic about it - but future version does need an EVF and articulating screen, much like the RX1R II managed, in the same small body as the Fp. So it is possible. Oh and phase-detect AF on the sensor please.

For first gen model, it is very complete... and I can probably sell my Pocket 4K now as well as the Leica Q.

does the screen tilt?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good point.

Not a scientific test, just booting these frames out there.

Needless to say, downscaling 4K CDNG 8bit in post to 1080p or 2.8K should result in less noise and cleaner shadows than the pixel binned 1080p CDNG internal 8bit, and maybe even 10bit.

I think the HD ones look very soft. I know you've some super shallow DOF going on but compared to the 4K it's quite noticeable. I guess this is a factor of either the binning or scaling in camera.

Not wanting to sound like a broken record - but have you tried 10 bit? After all at 4K the only way you'd get 25 or 30p is via 10 bit at UHD...?

Also as a stills camera if you shoot fast action how bad is the rolling/electronic shutter?

cheers
Paul

• Super Members

I think using right angle HDMI and USB-C connectors and channeling them upwards would alleviate any concerns I'd have about it but its early days yet anyway so no doubt cages with clamps will be along before long.

Also, if you are only recording internally, then as the live streaming video above shows, the FP is a UVC compliant device so you will be able to plug it into your phone and use that as a monitor with any number of UVC apps.

I don't understand how Sigma can market this as offering "full-fledged filmmaking". They seem to be out of touch with the filmmaking community as a whole. Failing to offer any flat profile and referring to it as "a special request"...and that they will look into it "if enough users request it" says enough to me. Even when asked about the lack of headphone jack to monitor audio, the CEO replied "We hope some other companies prepare accessories for our FD camera". Really. That is your response to lack of a headphone jack. "Hope someone else fixes the problem". Nah, Sorry Sigma. You done.

• Administrators

LOG profile, headphone jack, articulated screen, phase-detect AF would all have been welcome.

But it is clearly not enough for some people that it shoots 4K RAW to SD cards from a full frame sensor, in a camera little more larger in size than a pack of cards, for under $2000!

• Super Members

If you want to have a headphone monitor on the way in and get the bonus of an XLR input and phantom power then this pre-amp will do the job for £35.

617kThAwqcL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.e43781cafdceea5dee4cb112a78d0a83.jpg

If you want to monitor it post input then there are plenty of Micro HDMI to VGA adapters that extract the audio output that can be used to give you a basic headphone output for under £10 on Amazon.

MicroHDMItoVGA-600x600-500x500.jpg.0c364bd92e94854c0e982e0bde0ed668.jpg