Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

45 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

By the way the MOV 4K quality is VERY good indeed. They did not compromise on the codec. It's like a pocket S1. Don't think it is doing 10bit MOV H.264 but it looks damn good.

Interesting, so you would not agree with Cinema5D telling that MOV is somehow crippled to 8 stops?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

Thanks for this- I think I will stick to the SSD recording, that 8-bit noise is no joke compared to the 12-bit.

yep, also 4K seems to look slightly cleaner with way more resolution, but when you start zoom in you'll see banding artifacts

Verdict:
I want to see more 12 Bit CineDNG files in 4K. Thanks ?

• Administrators

I am happy to stick to 8bit internal 4K RAW.

Why raise the shadows so much?

Depends on the grade but I am not usually aiming for the "HDR sick" look :)

18 minutes ago, jase said:

Interesting, so you would not agree with Cinema5D telling that MOV is somehow crippled to 8 stops?

I doubt it is only 8 stops in the MOV files, but not seen their review so can't comment.

Measure your dynamic range after grading. That's what the audience sees ;)

• Administrators

Good point.

Not a scientific test, just booting these frames out there.

Needless to say, downscaling 4K CDNG 8bit in post to 1080p or 2.8K should result in less noise and cleaner shadows than the pixel binned 1080p CDNG internal 8bit, and maybe even 10bit.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Downscales as well.

https://www.slimraw.com

So 7:1 compressed Cinema DNG at, say, 3.5k is just a transcode away with the Sigma Fp.

Going to give it a go.

Perhaps I can give you some Cinema DNG frames out of my camera.

Here is a 12bit 1080/60p frame off the SD card, and same shot but 8bit 1080/60p to give you an idea of how that holds up.

Also included a 4K 8bit shot.

I recommend opening in Photoshop, push it around a lot. You will see the difference especially in the shadows.

I think this camera is also unique in that it is doing 120fps 1080p in ALL-I. Usually Long-GOP compression is used for high frame rates.

By the way the MOV 4K quality is VERY good indeed. They did not compromise on the codec. It's like a pocket S1. Don't think it is doing 10bit MOV H.264 but it looks damn good.

PS

CDNG 12bit 1080p at 24p = 633Mbit/s

CDNG 8bit 1080p at 24p = 422Mbit/s

Still quite large. Get the big SDs ready.

4K_8bit_A001_037_20191028_000005.DNG 8.06 MB · 12 downloads 2K_12bit_A001_035_20191028_000005.DNG 3.1 MB · 9 downloads 2K_8bit_A001_036_20191028_000005.DNG 2.09 MB · 6 downloads

Thanks Andrew! From what I can tell the 60p looks great as 1080p. Thanks for sharing those! Colors seem nice, too!

Does anyone know what the specs are on the video that comes out the HDMI output? I'm wondering how recording to an ATOMOS Ninja would compare quality-wise to recording straight to an SSD. Obviously it is not going to be RAW over the HDMI, but is it limited to just 8bit?

• Administrators

I really rate the Sigma colour profiles. They have carried over some Foveon skills into this image processor.

The standard profile looks very natural, and the main thing Vivid does is give you a warmer look, a more Canon-like look - rather than just increasing the saturation of standard.

Uniquely you can dial up and down a profile overall from -5 to +5, blending with standard at -5 and increasing the difference at +5

The teal & orange "Hollywood" profile is not overdone and nicer than the cinema profile. The cinema profile suits very specific shots. The T&O looks good on almost everything. Beautiful.

Although there is not yet a LOG profile, the Sigma Fp product manager is from Samsung - I don't expect their run of firmware updates to hold back on new features!! NX1 owners will know what I am talking about!

The nod to Magic Lantern with 8bit Cinema DNG is as much a statement of intent, as it is a beautiful image.

I am in love with this camera.

18 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I really rate the Sigma colour profiles. They have carried over some Foveon skills into this image processor.

The standard profile looks very natural, and the main thing Vivid does is give you a warmer look, a more Canon-like look - rather than just increasing the saturation of standard.

Uniquely you can dial up and down a profile overall from -5 to +5, blending with standard at -5 and increasing the difference at +5

The teal & orange "Hollywood" profile is not overdone and nicer than the cinema profile. The cinema profile suits very specific shots. The T&O looks good on almost everything. Beautiful.

Although there is not yet a LOG profile, the Sigma Fp product manager is from Samsung - I don't expect their run of firmware updates to hold back on new features!! NX1 owners will know what I am talking about!

The nod to Magic Lantern with 8bit Cinema DNG is as much a statement of intent, as it is a beautiful image.

I am in love with this camera.

Yeah I also am interested in the Pocket 6k, but I don't love the idea of 6k RAW, much rather deal with 1080p or 4k. Blackmagic only offers full sensor 6k though. Also the EF mount sucks. 

So you need an atomos inferno to record 12 bit DNG?

3 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Yea just add one of those OLED Small hd and you have a lightweight setup with a great screen. for only 300 dollars at the moment.

https://store.smallhd.com/products/FOCUS-OLED/FOCUS-OLED-Micro-HDMI-Monitor

And no fan noise like the HDMI recorders have.

True, the only issue I have with monitors is they are bigger than the camera itself, which makes for an awkward setup. Honestly I'd prefer something like a BM Pocket 4k, with the 5 inch screen only a tilting one and brighter. Still the issue of the sucky battery life. 

33 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

True, the only issue I have with monitors is they are bigger than the camera itself, which makes for an awkward setup. Honestly I'd prefer something like a BM Pocket 4k, with the 5 inch screen only a tilting one and brighter. Still the issue of the sucky battery life. 

recording for hours with one NPF battery. I have many types, but those are my favorites, because I can power other things too http://www.idxtek.com/products/sl-f50

The SmallHD Focus monitors are smaller than most cameras anyway. I use one.

• Administrators

Hoping Sigma will stick to this form factor, there is something magic about it - but future version does need an EVF and articulating screen, much like the RX1R II managed, in the same small body as the Fp. So it is possible. Oh and phase-detect AF on the sensor please.

For first gen model, it is very complete... and I can probably sell my Pocket 4K now as well as the Leica Q.