Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That looks like a pretty great camera for the price, still no confirmation that the UHD Clop ( nice typo in their specs list ) isn't what they are using for RAW so it looks like a s35 UHD CineDNG. Then again the Pocket 6k is massive compared to this so I'm not entirely surprised! 

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 09.51.50.png

4 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

And finally some footage on Sigma’s YT page- 

I'm not impressed - quite the opposite - to be honest.

Looks very digital and over-sharpened.
They didn't even bother to set correct shutter speed in the Mikio Hasui video, not to mention blown-out taxis in Ani Watanabe's impressions.

20 minutes ago, heart0less said:

They didn't even bother to set correct shutter speed in the Mikio Hasui video, not to mention blown-out taxis in Ani Watanabe's impressions.

Yeah agreed, im not impressed by any of the camera's released these last of couple of years. Sure the functionality is a lot better, better options, easier to work with and even the color depth is better. But still the images seem to drift further and further away from 35mm film, which I personally love.

3 hours ago, heart0less said:

IThey didn't even bother to set correct shutter speed in the Mikio Hasui video

Well to be fair, there’s no such thing as the correct shutter speed, or rather, the correct shutter speed is the one that helps get the right exposure. I know what you’re getting at, 180 degrees, but I shoot higher shutter speeds sometimes, I rarely have ND filters on me, plus they might have set it high to fight rolling shutter. Either way, most videos from the camera company itself never look that good, I’ll give my verdict once I see some real footage from real people.

11 hours ago, heart0less said:

I think they are photographers who dont know what they are doing and are probably just using the internal 4k codec.  

Like every other camera release - we have to wait for a heavy hitter to release some videos then we can see what it can do.  There was talk about this camera being on the radar of big budget productions (as a B or C cam) so if we're lucky we might get someone with deep experience doing a camera test.

The price completely blows me away, this should be completely sold out and on perennial backorder like the P4k for that kind of cash.

Thought this would be closer to $3000 when announced. At $1899 its VERY interesting. Like many I've been sitting on the sidelines to wait out the rest of the 2019 announcements *cough* a7s3 *cough*. I have a gimbal so for me the Fp vs the S1H is a push.

I have one in my B&H cart, waiting to see a few real world tests before hitting buy. 

Chris

11 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The price completely blows me away, this should be completely sold out and on perennial backorder like the P4k for that kind of cash.

Thought this would be closer to $3000 when announced. At $1899 its VERY interesting. Like many I've been sitting on the sidelines to wait out the rest of the 2019 announcements *cough* a7s3 *cough*. I have a gimbal so for me the Fp vs the S1H is a push.

I have one in my B&H cart, waiting to see a few real world tests before hitting buy. 

Chris

Might as well hit buy and cancel next week if footage comes out and looks bad, that’s my plan at least, wanted to get in line early last night.

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I like the idea. I'd like to see an external recorder that was more boxy and less flat. You could have this thing just sit on top of it. Imagine attaching a ninja V to this, would be really odd lol 

It records out, via USB-C, to Samsung T5 SSD drives... it doesn’t get much smaller than that.

I've not seen any real confirmation but it appears that all the movie modes are 1.5 crop looking at the specs.

Certainly UHD RAW has to be a crop, otherwise it isn't RAW and the impression i get from all the specs, for all the movies, is that they are all crops and the HD i presume would be a crop of the centre.

You can't get RAW after the camera has processed it, so there's no way it's full frame RAW.

Also the UHD RAW is 24p, yet the data rate for 30p 10bit is a bit higher so i think it would be possible to do 12bit 25p RAW.

It's a shame it cannot dump the whole RAW sensor out at 6K though. A full frame RAW movie from that at that price would be super attractive. The nice thing about RAW is that it shouldn't be processor intensive - you're just dumping data out. I wonder if it's feasible for a firmware to allow a dump  the whole sensor mode...

cheers
Paul

1 hour ago, paulinventome said:

Certainly UHD RAW has to be a crop, otherwise it isn't RAW and the impression i get from all the specs, for all the movies, is that they are all crops and the HD i presume would be a crop of the centre.

You can't get RAW after the camera has processed it, so there's no way it's full frame RAW.

There does seem to be a low RAW for stills, so perhaps the 1080p RAW is based on that? Nikon do it by downsampling according to this https://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/nikon-small-raw-internals but it could be pixel binning too. I think this makes sense for stills - jpeg is only 8-bit so anything better is useful but for video 10-bit and 12-bit are available so this style of partial RAW might only be useful for getting around patents and keeping the data rates lower vs uncompressed video if it is similar to the baked in sNEF. 

2 hours ago, Otago said:

There does seem to be a low RAW for stills, so perhaps the 1080p RAW is based on that? Nikon do it by downsampling according to this https://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/nikon-small-raw-internals but it could be pixel binning too. I think this makes sense for stills - jpeg is only 8-bit so anything better is useful but for video 10-bit and 12-bit are available so this style of partial RAW might only be useful for getting around patents and keeping the data rates lower vs uncompressed video if it is similar to the baked in sNEF. 

There is a mention in the specs of a 1.5x crop but it seems to be part of the stills menu and I can’t find any asterisks, elsewhere, to correspond with it.

If it is FF, it’s probably pixel binned like Magic Lantern Raw.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It has a crop feature that is clumsily positioned in their spec sheet above the video specs to give that impression but it actually refers to it auto-detecting APS-C L mount lenses from Leica and Sigma's own upcoming ones.

I’m confused- we’re saying (and I just looked at the spec sheet too), it is indeed a 1.5x crop for all video modes, yeah? It’s not just for aps-c lenses. I mean, in hindsight, of course it couldn’t be full frame, without crop, unless we had a 16:9 sensor, which we don’t.