1DX Mark III Prototypes - 6K IBIS

Snowbro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, kye said:

That's why I like the IBIS in the GH5 - it stabilises my fully-manual vintage lenses.  Fast, cheap, great MF, great ergonomics and stabilised is a combo that only IBIS provides.

Yeah I have no problem with IBIS. My dream camera is internal raw with ibis and my comment wasn’t a knock on Canon alone because all IBIS has an old watch mechanical construction.

As with most tech, eventually digital stabilization will exceed mechanical IBIS without a doubt. But I am glad to see Canon finally having IBIS in their cameras. Their IS lenses are already as good as lower priced IBIS cameras, so I can only imagine how good their IBIS will be. 

14 hours ago, Snowbro said:

This could be interesting, apparently it has been leaked around and people have got their hands on them. I sold most of my DSLR lenses and don't see myself buying more this late in the game. Anyone else probably pass on this even though it likely will put out an amazing picture? There is about a 2% chance they put CLOG in it haha. 

"It’s likely the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will shoot 6K video without a crop.

Dual CFExpress cards are in the prototype models and will likely make it to the production version.

There will be a “significant jump in resolution for an EOS-1 series camera”.  The EOS-1D X was 18.1mp and the EOS-1D X Mark II came in at 20.2mp. So I guess anything over a 2mp bump could be considered “significant” to some.

New DIGIC processor. Canon doesn’t usually introduce a new DIGIC processor in the EOS-1D series, but that will apparently change this time.

IBIS is in prototype cameras"

There will probably be a new processor coming soon. Canon processors come as pairs,  Digic X for stills and Digic DVX-2 for video. The latest video camera is the C500M2, and that has introduced the Digic DV7 processor, which means that a Digic 9 is also out there and will appear soon. Since the Digic DV7 can handle 6K, it is likely that the Digic 9 will as well (although it may not be implemented in all products due to cost or practical reasons).

Usually new Digic stills processors first appear on low end cameras, presumably because they have shorter development cycles, but that does not mean it has to be this time around. If Canon wanted to get "back in the game" as it were, they might have strong incentive to get it into one of their flagship products first this time.

If Canon put out a 5D equivalent mirrorless camera but with S1H specs (don't even need 6K, just 10-bit 422 All-I DCI 4K up to 60fps - maybe even raw external or 120fps 4k to sweeten the deal), I'd go Canon in a heartbeat for color, IQ, and AF. Their RF lenses and their ND adapter are top notch. As is their AF. And then to have the option to go with the C500II, C300II, or C200 as an A-Cam for bigger shoots is a pretty amazing combo. 

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

Word is that the D6 will feature only minimal video specs, as Nikon want to keep the focus on stills for their flagship. 

Do you think that they will release a video-centric flagship as well?  That seems to be a common approach now (S1 vs S1H, A7R vs A7S, etc).  That would be fascinating to see considering they don't have a cinema line to protect, so could go all-in.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah I have no problem with IBIS. My dream camera is internal raw with ibis and my comment wasn’t a knock on Canon alone because all IBIS has an old watch mechanical construction.

As with most tech, eventually digital stabilization will exceed mechanical IBIS without a doubt. But I am glad to see Canon finally having IBIS in their cameras. Their IS lenses are already as good as lower priced IBIS cameras, so I can only imagine how good their IBIS will be. 

Yes, I didn't think you were knocking IBIS.  I haven't seen the patent but I'm very aware that if you dig deep enough everything electronic happens physically.

I read somewhere that there's a limit to OIS / IBIS of something like 6.5 stops because at that point the sensors start compensating for the rotation of the earth.  I think they'll likely exceed that 'limit' eventually, but I find it amazing that technology based on mechanical parts can be made to be so accurate and in such a cheap and reliable way.  

I've studied the whole stack of IT in terms of algorithms and the logic of data processing, below that is the machine language that the chips use, below that is how analog circuitry implements digital behaviour, and below that is the physics of transistors and how electricity behaves in silicone and other materials.  I'm no expert in these, but I know enough to understand that modern technology truly is a marvel and we are incredibly lucky to be alive at such a time in history to be able to see all these things and play with them.  I'm not that old, but I remember as a kid not having a TV and when we got one only having a tiny black&white set with the rabbit ear antennas when we got the first one.  In this sense I've seen a complete technological revolution within my lifetime, and I'm planning to live to be at least twice as old as I am now, and I can't imagine the progress that will happen over that time, but I'm really looking forward to it.

20 hours ago, kye said:

I read somewhere that there's a limit to OIS / IBIS of something like 6.5 stops because at that point the sensors start compensating for the rotation of the earth.  I think they'll likely exceed that 'limit' eventually, but I find it amazing that technology based on mechanical parts can be made to be so accurate and in such a cheap and reliable way. 

E-m1x already exceed that limit with 7.5 stop

We are talking about a company that even cripples its $7500 pro camera: the C200 that came without middle ground codec. The 1DX2 doesn't even come with LOG and decent codec. This 1DX3 won't be different. Canon's history is full of video crippling. Just pick your pain: DPAF disabled, massive crop, no LOG, no 24fps, recording limits, crop, stupid inefficient codec, etc. They'll fuck up the video specs somehow. Canon couldn't care less about the S1H and the competition, all that matters is to prevent product cannibalization and keep the offering segmented.

9 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

We are talking about a company that even cripples its $7500 pro camera: the C200 that came without middle ground codec. The 1DX2 doesn't even come with LOG and decent codec. This 1DX3 won't be different. Canon's history is full of video crippling. Just pick your pain: DPAF disabled, massive crop, no LOG, no 24fps, recording limits, crop, stupid inefficient codec, etc. They'll fuck up the video specs somehow. Canon couldn't care less about the S1H and the competition, all that matters is to prevent product cannibalization and keep the offering segmented.

Well they surely have not crippled the C500 Mk2, so perhaps there is hope yet? Still, I was expecting the new Quad Pixel AF to finally show up on this camera,  so maybe not. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Well they surely have not crippled the C500 Mk2, so perhaps there is hope yet? Still, I was expecting the new Quad Pixel AF to finally show up on this camera,  so maybe not. 

Thats their Cinemaline  their protected as goes for 1dx theirs no hope

25 minutes ago, Vision said:

Thats their Cinemaline  their protected as goes for 1dx theirs no hope

Yes, but as mention was made of the C200... a cinema line camera, I believe my assumption still stands.

I think the harder sell is a $7000 DSLR in 2020? For this reason it’s possible Canon might pull out all the stops for this final edition.