8 Cinema DNG shots from Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera raw

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yeah

everything ive done to these files looks amazingly good

the grain in amazingly filmic

with zero sharpening in acr the point of focus certainly has enough clarity for me rn

and then, sharpening it, bit by bit...the reaction seems amazing to me, how well it sharpens in acr without falling apart

im delightfully surprised

i KNEW the prores was way off of what this lil guy was capable of :)

that being said bm needs a new pr guy

>EDIT: 

OH. AND?

THANK YOU ANDREW FOR POSTING THESE LOVELY IMAGES

IMAGES THAT REFLECT WHAT I MIGHT ACTUALLY DO WITH THIS CAMERA, NOT SOME HIDEOUS MONKEYSHIT

I HAVE A GOOD IMAGINATION BUT YEAH

YOUR LITTLE AESTHETIC GESTURE HERE IS NOT LOST ON ME

Lmao. Never drink and blog man:)

I'd happily pitch into a beer account for citizenkaden!  Some of us definitely need to drink more! 

And @Michael Ma.  Us Americans need space in our bags for McDonalds burgers (at least 2), fries, and our Venti No-Foam Cappucinos.  We can't be carrying around the BMPCC AND DSLRS!  That's way TOO MUCH camera stuff and not enough FOOD.  Or beer!  

Seriously, those stills are much better than I expected.  I won't repeat what citizenkaden said because it was perfect.

Thanks PeterF.  The aliasing on the windows is interesting because it's what I see in Magic Lantern RAW, when shooting in normal mode (not crop, where there is no line skipping).  I would think there is no line-skipping in the BMPCC, so curious why this effect is showing up.  

Does anyone know?

Here is a blow up of your image.

BMPCC_dng.jpg

Maxotics, that just looks like bayer artifacts. Try using a few different debayer tools and make sure sharpening isn't cranked up.

Here is roughly the same part of the image, only showing the bayer image.  You'll see the same odd lines of hot pixels, that match the image above.  I've tried every de-bayering algo on similar stuff and though some are better, none are able to deal with these lines of chroma distortions, which, until now, I thought was only the outcome of line-skipping.

My guess is that the BMPCC will show little of this, and, as you say, good de-bayering will probably remove almost all of it for that camera.  I just find it interesting to see the same thing I'm getting from the line-skipping RAW I get out of the Canon ML cameras.

BMPCC_dng_bayerpattern.jpg

Hello again-->

Pretty bored sitting around waiting for a job to start so I did a quick grade using Hunter's LUT v1.0 beta for resolve 10 and tweaked it to look (natural). edit: after looking at it with fresh eyes there may be too much magenta in the first shots stones =[

I exported ProRes4444 from the Raw after the grade into final cut x, then exported to Vimeo from there.

Vimeo's compression is pretty far from the original, but the downloadable version gets a lot closer..

https://vimeo.com/79422857

Included is a '.png snapshot' using snaps pro of the original 4444 (left), and downloadable version (right) for all the pixel peepers'  microscopes.

Vimeo's compression is closer than I thought after downloading the 'original' from their site. The actual original ProRes 4444 file has a wee bit more resolution. I'm hoping the .png conveys that.

I also forgot to mention that I subtracted %1 from the black levels before exporting from final cut which is probably most of the color shift you're seeing in the .png. Not nearly as scientific as Maxotics post  ;)  

QuickTime%20Player%207ScreenSnapz001.png

Please note that you can adjust the iris/aperture with the up and down button. The auto iris is only a starting point and you're free to adjust it to suit your needs. The shutter you set in the menu… so you have total control over the exposure.

--ben

It's been 24 hours.  Bout to head over to Vimeo and peep these cat vids.

...an entire feed of raw/pro res pocket comparison masterpieces... 

................I know I'm right too.. & I haven't even been there yet. 

EDIT:  I was right. 

I've had the raw option on my pocket camera for a day.Truthfully the editing workflow is different so all I have shot is a couple of one minute sequences of my Jersey cow in our field.

I can't even post that, let alone some meaningful narrative short, as the raw files are grinding my 2012 iMac into the ground.

My rural internet connection could mean it will take eight hours to upload two minutes of HQ footage to Vimeo.

That said, the raw footage I'm getting is superb. So far I've tried Resolve 10 and Capture One 7. CO7 is very easy to use and the graded raw looks fantastic - crisp, clean and rich. The stills editor workflow is a pain however.

Will try and import my CO7 grade into FCPX today. And will try again with Resolve 10.

I've had the raw option on my pocket camera for a day.Truthfully the editing workflow is different so all I have shot is a couple of one minute sequences of my Jersey cow in our field.
I can't even post that, let alone some meaningful narrative short, as the raw files are grinding my 2012 iMac into the ground.
My rural internet connection could mean it will take eight hours to upload two minutes of HQ footage to Vimeo.
That said, the raw footage I'm getting is superb. So far I've tried Resolve 10 and Capture One 7. CO7 is very easy to use and the graded raw looks fantastic - crisp, clean and rich. The stills editor workflow is a pain however.
Will try and import my CO7 grade into FCPX today. And will try again with Resolve 10.

I just started using Capture One. It is most definitely tha shit.

as the raw files are grinding my 2012 iMac into the ground

sorry to hear that friend~! ugh i wouldve thought a 2012 imac would be ok with this workflow? dunno which model you have...

i was thinking about a new high spec 27" imac is that a bad idea for this kind of workflow? :/

I just started using Capture One. It is most definitely tha shit.

may i please ask what you guys like about capture one so much specifically? im not familiar with it but i read a bit about it and id love to know why its a preference for you! its new to me

and lastly: wait so is the moire and aliasing going to be a deal breaker on bmpcc raw or what