8 Cinema DNG shots from Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera raw

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It definitely needs to be fixed, but I really don't think this auto-exposure glitch is nearly as big of a deal as you've been making it out to be in all your pocket posts. It literally takes five seconds to readjust the aperture when you turn the camera back on; If its a run and gun situation, I'd be more concerned about the camera startup time than the time it takes to redo aperture.

I really WISH to buy this camera, but the crop factor does not allow me to do it. it's just impossible. 

What should I need for? spend how many money in new lens? which focal length?  I'm just a budget filmmaker student that wish to shot in RAW. which cheap fast lenses should I buy for this camera? This situation give me a BIG sense of frustration. 

thanks help and sorry for this confidence. 

But the most important thing is: who is going to post the first (decent) RAW video from the BMPCC?

A lot of guys are posting DNG samples. We want to see them moving :D

The only thing online I think its a 20 second video of a wall.

edit: LOL. There is also a shaky-video of half a face in the bus. So you guys buy a 1k RAW camera to do that? Just kidding :D

Hey Dan.  I've been extensively testing the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for the last month, and share in your frustration for lens options with such a weird crop factor.  But one thing mentioned on these discussions and others, is adding Speedboosters to the BMPCC which adds a little more width to your area of view.  I believe the Speedboosters add about a .71x wider focal length to your camera.  For example I used a Tokina 11-16 (for Nikon) on the BMPCC.    Which gave me a full frame equivalent of about 33mm-48mm.  Which is crazy for a wide lens.  But when you add the speedbooster it brought it up to about 23-33, which gives you a little more manageable and cinematic wide.  So I feel like the Speedbooster is an essential tool.  And it looks like you can get them for both Nikon and Canon FD for Micro Four Thirds.  They are little bit on the spendy side for essentially a lens adapter, but because it carries optics, understandably so.  So this could essentially open up lens options for you in Nikon and Canon FD flavors, which are generally affordable options.

People are also looking at C-Mount Super 16 lenses, but I've had trouble going that route, because you generally want to shoot at Native ISO 800 on the camera, which means you need to be filtering your lens, and these C-Mount lenses have smaller bodies not compatible with todays ND filters or Variable ND's which leaves you with the option of a Matte Box, which is silly for this small of a camera, I think.

Hope that gives you some direction...to this beautiful but often frustrating camera!  :)

I really WISH to buy this camera, but the crop factor does not allow me to do it. it's just impossible. 

What should I need for? spend how many money in new lens? which focal length?  I'm just a budget filmmaker student that wish to shot in RAW. which cheap fast lenses should I buy for this camera? This situation give me a BIG sense of frustration. 

thanks help and sorry for this confidence. 

+1 for the SpeedBooster and Tokina 11-16 and maybe Sigma 8-16. Also, there are high-quality machine lenses from Kowa and others, down to 6mm: vimeo.com/76746701‎

There are loads of options, including old super 16 lenses as well as 1" TV lenses ...see www.rmaelectronics.com

Looks great. I have almost bought this camera several times. I am really eager to get a camera, but the feature I need is higher frame rates. Even a mere 60p would mean a lot for the shooting I need to do. Nothing out there now has the codec + frame rate + small size that I need. The waiting hurts! I am sure next year something will come out.

I guess I just assumed this was a dummy m43 mount, lol.. But most active M43 glass like Olympus, and Panny's are really clinical anyway aren't they? That's personal opinion of course, and sucks if you have native 43 glass you like, because that should be a relatively easy update to turn give a feature an on/off option.. Most people are grabbing adapters and old ass lenses with speed boosters, etc. so I can't see BMD jumping on it. That could just be my cynical attitude I've developed from watching the pocket get all the lovin, and my 2.5k still has a black dot in the sun.

UHM HELLO FRIENDS

so ive had a few beers but THIS IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM THE PRORES???

AMIRITE???

uhm yeah unless im freaking lost u can massage these dngs pretty good

this is seriously not a rhetorical post i was reading an article about rec 2020 last night that literally talked about imaginary colors i was like f this im going to sleep im losing my mind here

but pretty sure i kno how acr works tho and im impressed :)

what do you guys think?? how does this compare specifically to the bmpcc prores

yeah

everything ive done to these files looks amazingly good

the grain in amazingly filmic

with zero sharpening in acr the point of focus certainly has enough clarity for me rn

and then, sharpening it, bit by bit...the reaction seems amazing to me, how well it sharpens in acr without falling apart

im delightfully surprised

i KNEW the prores was way off of what this lil guy was capable of :)

that being said bm needs a new pr guy

>EDIT: 

OH. AND?

THANK YOU ANDREW FOR POSTING THESE LOVELY IMAGES

IMAGES THAT REFLECT WHAT I MIGHT ACTUALLY DO WITH THIS CAMERA, NOT SOME HIDEOUS MONKEYSHIT

I HAVE A GOOD IMAGINATION BUT YEAH

YOUR LITTLE AESTHETIC GESTURE HERE IS NOT LOST ON ME

Thank you Andrew for your post, I really enjoy your articles and find them very helpful! I have a question regarding BMPCC. Have you noticed any hot pixels in you camera? It's more obvious in 1600 ISO and in low light situations. At 800 ISO is less obvious, because it's the native but it's still there. I had it with my first pocket camera and I got it still with my replacement. Any suggestions?