IBC Show - Panasonic 8K Organic Sensor Prototype Camera with On-chip ND and 16 stop dynamic range

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

SAM_1398.jpg

At IBC the Organic Sensor technology Panasonic is developing turned up in the camera above (with a rather nice choice of Cooke cinema lens). Along with the prototype camera, Panasonic had a wealth of information about what makes it such a big step for filmmaking and video.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great stuff, and truly exciting to see a company pushing forward with such a leap forwards in technology.  It will start expensively, but trickle-down always occurs as the people who value it most repay the R&D and then the quantity in the mass-market will drive the price even lower.

The 1/120 is an interesting thing.  I wonder if there is some kind of time component that prevents it from working over longer exposures?

I have neen told that the hardest problem for them to solve with these organic sensors is that the use a massive amount of power and they get extremely hot. So, good like trying to get them into a small battery operated camera body.

I asked a Sony technical manager that I know abour this technogy. He literally laughed at me and said "Cliff....it's one thing to BUILD the "Spruce Goose"....but actually FLYING it is a whole 'nuther story".

Yeah...huge power and huge heat are the reason why its been in stuck developement like it has.

What happened to the post 20 stop latitude of the year sensor years ago?  We might as well go and buy a good Sony sensored camera for the price difference.  They have HDR, global shutter and low light in their range.

Why is Panasonic taking so many years on this one.  Years and years and more so.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:47 AM, Andrew Reid said:

The 1/120 is intriguing me as well. You'd not think the rolling shutter would kick in at slower shutter speeds?

It seems counterintuitive to me and that makes me think it's probably a sensor thing (which I don't understand and know very little about).  I wonder if @androidlad can shed any light on this particular aspect?

If they do it right, this camera could help Panasonic gain a lot of traction in the higher-end market and the timing is quite good since it doesn't look like Sony or Canon will be announcing any camera soon. But despite recent announcements from them, they also might be aiming Tokyo 2020 for their 8K cameras too, who knows.

Edit: oh, after watching another interview, it's mainly for broadcast, so I don't know when they might use this sensor for a Varicam/Cinema solution

I remember when doing 6k to 4k down sampling in camera was said to be too power consuming and too heat producing and then NX1 did it and now everybody does it.  Same with any new technology - at first it's impossible, then it's near impossible and super expensive, then it's expensive be readily available, then it shows up in consumer product as the next big thing and costs just slightly more that the previous next big thing. This will happen at the high end first then give it 2-3 years after that and it will be available for  and affordable price and be seen as cost saving tool because of the amount of time you save in production and post because of the extra margin for error on set - less redos and less corrections etc.

• 2 weeks later...