Best event shooting camera + lens

zerocool22

57 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

When you said "events" most here thought of long recording times with workhorse cameras and lenses.

For 30sec clips you can have whatever camera, so that widens the research to almost anything, really!

If using a gimbal is a must for you you can choose a smaller camera with a couple of pancakes and a smaller/cheaper/lighter gimbal than the S.

Agreed.  Until he's told us a bit more, we can't even rule out an early RX100!!

Give me one of those and no specific shots to nail and I'd create an awesome highlights reel.  That would be heaps of fun actually :) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, kye said:

Looks like there are lots of considerations and it also looks like this conversation isn't clear because we don't understand what your requirements are.

Questions:

• Why do you care about the aperture?  Is it because you want a shallower DoF for separation?  or is it because of exposure?
    • If it's because of exposure, then you must also factor in ISO performance - for example the A7iii might have better low-light with an F4 than a GH5 with an F2.8
    • Also, an F2.8 on MFT has a DoF equivalent to F5.6 on FF, so a FF camera with F4 would have more separation than the MFT/2.8 combo
  • What about AF?
    • If you're on a gimbal, are you going to have a follow-focus?  If so, what cameras support that function?  
    • If you need AF then you have to match the DoF to the cameras AF ability..  an A7iii will be better at f2.8 than a GH5 might be at F4 (I'm just guessing here) but an OOF shot is probably a wasted shot
  • How many shots do you HAVE to get (eg, you have to include certain specific moments) vs is it a quantity thing where you just need enough good shots for a 4 minute highlight reel
    • If there are certain key moments you have to get (eg, at a wedding you have to get the kiss, but you can afford to miss part of the first dance due to AF issues) then how are you going to make sure you nail them?  If it's follow-focus or AF or deep DoF then you need to think about these.
    • If you have to get key moments then having a longer zoom will mean you have framing flexibility and don't have to swap lenses and re-balance gimbals etc.  Reliability and speed to get the key shots might be more important to you than having a lovely lens that misses the key moments.
    • What shots do you get?  You should be able to tell us that you need a super-wide, a mid, and you need close-ups but at a different time when there's time to change lenses.  If you don't have clarity about what shots you need, when you need them, and how much time you have to setup for them then you don't know enough to buy a camera/lens combo for this work yet.
  • What format and resolution are you delivering in?
    • If you're delivering 4K then you'll need a 4K camera.  
    • If 4K, how many shots can you get away with including of 1080?  maybe if there's a few quick inserts in 1080 scaled up you can get away with it?
    • Do you need slow-motion?  What frame rate?  4K60?  Do you need 120p?
    • If you need vertical video then you need a portrait camera rig, or you need to shoot 4K landscape to crop out a 1080 vertical slice
    • If you're shooting 4K for 1080 delivery, then this impacts your lens choice as you can engage a crop mode on a 4K camera to get extra range.  A GH5 can give a >2x digital zoom in 1080 ETC mode, which means a 12-35mm can deliver 1080 in a FF equivalent from 24mm to around 200mm.  
    • If you need to deliver 4K and can't include any 1080 shots then you're limited to FF 70mm equiv with that lens
    • More likely is you can afford the odd 1080 shot (just extra sharpening in post) so could get shots in the FF 70-200mm range in 1080, but are the shots you need the extra zoom on the ones you can afford to deliver in 1080?  Maybe not.

Tell us what you're trying to achieve, what final video you need to deliver, how you shoot it, and what your style is and we'll tell you what equipment you need.

Yeah sorry should have mentioned that before. 
- Aperture reasons for both really
- AF mostly only for gymbal shots
- I only shoot event recaps so 1-3min. So I usually shoot 10 sec clips. I will rely on AF on any important shots, nor will I do risky moves on shots that I cannot miss, then it is handheld/tripod.
- I only need one zoom lens 24-70mm and im golden.
- 4K is nice, but honestly 1080p is already sufficient.
- 60FPS 1080p is a minimum though.

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Yeah, with your needs you could literally use any camera you want. Pretty much every camera released in the last 2 years, minus Canon, has what you're looking for! 

And actually, if @zerocool22 went with a good quality 1080 camera then maybe he could get two bodies [edit: for the same money by buying second-hand] and have a lens on each and swap between them for different shots.  Maybe a 24-70 equivalent on the camera on the gimbal and another with a fast tele prime for extra reach and 'hero' shots with crazy bokeh or whatever.  Also, having two bodies means that you've got complete redundancy in case something goes wrong.

Current/favourite set up is as follows:

XT3, monopod, Fuji 23mm f2 or 50mm f2

XT3, tripod, Finger Pro + Canon 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8

DJI OSMO Action

DJI Mavic Air

Sony FDR-AX100 on tripod as backup

(LED's on lightstands, 3 Sony audio recorders, 2 Rode Micro, Wireless Go)

Nothing else meets my needs right now though that Sigma FP is on my radar...

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah im prolly going for the Z6, seems to be the best option for me atm as it takes good pictures as well.

Allthough this guy makes me consider the eos R. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAtyZolp1ao but then again it does not have IBIS so gotta drop the eos R. 

If you have a gimbal then why not leave it on there the whole time and not need IBIS?  It means you don't have to bother mounting and unmounting the camera from the gimbal, and it also gives you more options in what camera to buy.

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Current/favourite set up is as follows:

XT3, monopod, Fuji 23mm f2 or 50mm f2

XT3, tripod, Finger Pro + Canon 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8

DJI OSMO Action

DJI Mavic Air

Sony FDR-AX100 on tripod as backup

(LED's on lightstands, 3 Sony audio recorders, 2 Rode Micro, Wireless Go)

Nothing else meets my needs right now though that Sigma FP is on my radar...

Whats your experience with the Fringer adapter? Tempted to buy one with an 18-35 sigma. 

9 hours ago, kye said:

If you have a gimbal then why not leave it on there the whole time and not need IBIS?  It means you don't have to bother mounting and unmounting the camera from the gimbal, and it also gives you more options in what camera to buy.

Yeah as I will prolly also use it it handheld from time to time (depending the situation, like travelling, or really long shooting days, etc)

10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Whats your experience with the Fringer adapter? Tempted to buy one with an 18-35 sigma. 

I use the Fringer Pro on my X-T2 with great success.

Canon 100-400L II, 24-105L F4, 200/1.8, and 50/1.0 all work fine.

I haven't used any APC lenses with it, as I use those with my GH5.

GH5 with Metabones 0.64XL and Tokina 11-16 and Sigma Art 18-35 both work great, as do all the others above.

20 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Excellent...and I am still on the first version albeit with updated firmware.

Rarely misses a beat with Canon EF f1.8 lenses in regard to autofocus. I use single rather than continuous.

Worked very well also with the Sigma 18-35 and though I do love that lens, I don't love it's size or weight and so am selling it soon.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Worked very well also with the Sigma 18-35 and though I do love that lens, I don't love it's size or weight and so am selling it soon.

I'm in the same boat as you - it's a lovely lens but carrying it around all day would do horrible things to the ligaments in my wrist!