Best event shooting camera + lens

zerocool22

Hello,

Ok what is your favorite event shooting setup. Looking for something light weight with ibis and Af, high iso performance, and I want just one zoom lens thats also light weight. (I already own a ronin s). If its a good hybrid thats a plus also(If i can adapt Ef lenses on it). 

So prolly contenders are(but do add If i forgot something):

A7 iii, nikon z7, canon r, gh5. Not sure about lenses. 

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

thx Well on mft, I will not use any lens slower then 2.8 though. The gh5 is quite old as well, have slight preference for FF. But indeed you cannot go wrong with a gh5.

I know,  but has unlimited recording, good battery life (not exceptional though), good ergonomics, no overheating issues, robust codecs and I usually shoot 4-5.6f anyway and I love this particular lens.

The only thing I do not like is the high ISO performance.

A7iii could be an option with the S35 mode, but for me Sony isn't there yet (a workhorse video camera).

4 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Hello,

Ok what is your favorite event shooting setup. Looking for something light weight with ibis and Af, high iso performance, and I want just one zoom lens thats also light weight. (I already own a ronin s). If its a good hybrid thats a plus also(If i can adapt Ef lenses on it). 

So prolly contenders are(but do add If i forgot something):

A7 iii, nikon z7, canon r, gh5. Not sure about lenses. 

Thanks

I would suggest the S1 and the 24-105 f4.

Ibis is excellent

battery life is excellent (2+ hours per battery)

No record limit (or overheating)

AF is good 

Great in low light

Shoots in UHD 10 bit 422 to sd card

14 stops of V-LOG (optional)

Very good skin tones

Is a 6k sensor so you can do a APSC crop in camera so that 105mm becomes a 157.5mm and the lens is parfocal. 

Because fo the S1H and all the other cameras you can find them used for $2500 now for the camera/lens combo. I do a lot of corporate events (trade shows or conferences kinda thing), and it really works well.

14 minutes ago, FreshGiant said:

I would suggest the S1 and the 24-105 f4.

Ibis is excellent

battery life is excellent (2+ hours per battery)

No record limit (or overheating)

AF is good 

Great in low light

Shoots in UHD 10 bit 422 to sd card

14 stops of V-LOG (optional)

Very good skin tones

Is a 6k sensor so you can do a APSC crop in camera so that 105mm becomes a 157.5mm and the lens is parfocal. 

Because fo the S1H and all the other cameras you can find them used for $2500 now for the camera/lens combo. I do a lot of corporate events (trade shows or conferences kinda thing), and it really works well.

I rather have a 24-70mm at 2.8.  F4 is too slow for my usual taste. 

Really depends on how you shoot events. 

A7III is the best all arounder, though you may run into overheating problems when shooting in 4k. 

Getting an external recorder makes it a safer bet. If you are just getting clips here and there with breaks in between you are good to go though. 

XT3 is great but AF and low light aren't as on point. S1 isn't too bad though you have the blue highlight issue at the moment and AF is unreliable. Plus side is there are no record limits and no overheating issues. 

Just had my XT30 overheat doing a 1 hour continuous shoot in 4k, getting an external recorder for it now. 

Have fun flying a Ronin S for 8 hours, I hope they pay you well. I'd get a lighter gimbal. 

A lot hinges on what kind of events you're talking about. If you need to be able to record for longer than 30 minutes you've pretty much only have Panasonic to chose from. While Sony says their cameras, starting with the a6400, have unlimited record times, they will overheat if you go much longer than 30 minutes. The a6600 might be better though? 

The GH5 with the 12-35 f/2.8 is an excellent combination. It's what I generally use for event coverage, unless I know I'll need more reach. I don't even bother with a gimbal most of the time unless I absolutely need to, instead opting for a cheap shoulder rig that helps stabilize and make longer shoots easier. 

5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

What about the nikon z6? Anybody got experience with this one. Imagewise its ahead of the other mentioned cameras.

It's great but the problem I'm running into with it as I'm mentioning in other threads is that glass is expensive compared to other systems.

Looks like there are lots of considerations and it also looks like this conversation isn't clear because we don't understand what your requirements are.

Questions:

• Why do you care about the aperture?  Is it because you want a shallower DoF for separation?  or is it because of exposure?
    • If it's because of exposure, then you must also factor in ISO performance - for example the A7iii might have better low-light with an F4 than a GH5 with an F2.8
    • Also, an F2.8 on MFT has a DoF equivalent to F5.6 on FF, so a FF camera with F4 would have more separation than the MFT/2.8 combo
  • What about AF?
    • If you're on a gimbal, are you going to have a follow-focus?  If so, what cameras support that function?  
    • If you need AF then you have to match the DoF to the cameras AF ability..  an A7iii will be better at f2.8 than a GH5 might be at F4 (I'm just guessing here) but an OOF shot is probably a wasted shot
  • How many shots do you HAVE to get (eg, you have to include certain specific moments) vs is it a quantity thing where you just need enough good shots for a 4 minute highlight reel
    • If there are certain key moments you have to get (eg, at a wedding you have to get the kiss, but you can afford to miss part of the first dance due to AF issues) then how are you going to make sure you nail them?  If it's follow-focus or AF or deep DoF then you need to think about these.
    • If you have to get key moments then having a longer zoom will mean you have framing flexibility and don't have to swap lenses and re-balance gimbals etc.  Reliability and speed to get the key shots might be more important to you than having a lovely lens that misses the key moments.
    • What shots do you get?  You should be able to tell us that you need a super-wide, a mid, and you need close-ups but at a different time when there's time to change lenses.  If you don't have clarity about what shots you need, when you need them, and how much time you have to setup for them then you don't know enough to buy a camera/lens combo for this work yet.
  • What format and resolution are you delivering in?
    • If you're delivering 4K then you'll need a 4K camera.  
    • If 4K, how many shots can you get away with including of 1080?  maybe if there's a few quick inserts in 1080 scaled up you can get away with it?
    • Do you need slow-motion?  What frame rate?  4K60?  Do you need 120p?
    • If you need vertical video then you need a portrait camera rig, or you need to shoot 4K landscape to crop out a 1080 vertical slice
    • If you're shooting 4K for 1080 delivery, then this impacts your lens choice as you can engage a crop mode on a 4K camera to get extra range.  A GH5 can give a >2x digital zoom in 1080 ETC mode, which means a 12-35mm can deliver 1080 in a FF equivalent from 24mm to around 200mm.  
    • If you need to deliver 4K and can't include any 1080 shots then you're limited to FF 70mm equiv with that lens
    • More likely is you can afford the odd 1080 shot (just extra sharpening in post) so could get shots in the FF 70-200mm range in 1080, but are the shots you need the extra zoom on the ones you can afford to deliver in 1080?  Maybe not.

Tell us what you're trying to achieve, what final video you need to deliver, how you shoot it, and what your style is and we'll tell you what equipment you need.

8 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

yeah I still am talking about 30 sec clips max, so I dont care about long recording options.

When you said "events" most here thought of long recording times with workhorse cameras and lenses.

For 30sec clips you can have whatever camera, so that widens the research to almost anything, really!

If using a gimbal is a must for you you can choose a smaller camera with a couple of pancakes and a smaller/cheaper/lighter gimbal than the S.