Tentacle Sync 'Track E' - New minirecorders with timecode

IronFilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

So how can you monitor the Tentacle Sync Track E from your phone wirelessly? As soon as you press record you can no longer monitor? I doubt it.

The Zaxcom patent covers a slightly different situation as it is for a base recorder that is receiving timecode stamped packets of audio from the pocket transmitters with these same packets also being recorded locally on the transmitters. This then enables the master recorded file to have any packets lost in the transmission to be filled in by the locally recorded files.

The Tentacle is just purely a transmission of bluetooth audio without timecode embedded so won't infringe.

Well, as far as I understand it anyway !

Coincidentally, the Zaxcom patent is actually set to be challenged next month.

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2019/08/13/another-ptab-casualty-emmy-awarded-wireless-microphone-technology-invalidated/id=112135/

On 9/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, Mako Sports said:

Fuck Zaxcom and their stupid patent/monopoly 

Can we add RED to that?

On 9/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, Anaconda_ said:

So how can you monitor the Tentacle Sync Track E from your phone wirelessly? As soon as you press record you can no longer monitor? I doubt it.

Remember the Track E is only in early prototype status,  they literally got it working merely days before IBC

So exact details (technical and legal) are probably still up in the air. 

22 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Tentacle is just purely a transmission of bluetooth audio without timecode embedded so won't infringe.

Well, as far as I understand it anyway !

Just simply having a headphone jack can get Zaxcom's panties in a bunch. (remember Tascam....)

23 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Coincidentally, the Zaxcom patent is actually set to be challenged next month.

https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2019/08/13/another-ptab-casualty-emmy-awarded-wireless-microphone-technology-invalidated/id=112135/

They guy who wrote that was painfully clueless about our industry. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

They guy who wrote that was painfully clueless about our industry. 

He was right about the patent challenge though, if not necessarily his downbeat view of whether it will stand up.

That event he was referencing is an IP conference and they are hosting that day's trials from the US Patent Office .

https://www.aipla.org/am19/expand/program

1479772626_ScreenShot2019-09-21at13_18_53.thumb.png.257c262504f095f18d4b4baa22876452.png

The second one being Lectrosonics vs Zaxcom.

1006123790_ScreenShot2019-09-21at13_21_44.thumb.png.078126850118b51ebb232f31540e68b5.png

Whether functionality changes may occur to these new products based on the outcome of that remains to be seen of course!

I literally cannot wait for this trial. The most annoying thing about Zaxcom is how they troll message boards getting mad at people who call out their business practices. 

Look, we get that you're "within your rights" to exploit an extremely broad patent. But when you're going to stop innovation in the industry and only make your technology available through your extremely expensive hardware, you're going to rub some people the wrong way. We're within OUR rights to think your company's business practices suck.

3 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Im not an audio guy. ELI5 why this better than something like a tascam dr10

Timecode!

Easy easy easy syncing up everything. 

Plus remote stop/starting of recording without needing to dig under the actor's clothing. 

3 hours ago, Yurolov said:

and what are the monitoring options on it?

Ask Zaxcom.....

On 9/28/2019 at 5:16 PM, runderkimpling said:

32 bit float essentially means that you can’t clip files and therefore don’t need to worry about adjusting gain during takes. 

That feature is perhaps the 2nd or 3rd (maybe even 4th) most exciting feature about the Tentacle Sync Track E from my perspective. The biggest feature in my opinion is: TIMECODE!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 8:42 AM, Anaconda_ said:

As an end user, if I was in the US, I'd just buy this from another market and then go about using it how it should be used. Next time I went on vacation I'd get one delivered to the hotel or whatever. What a load of bs.

EDIT: Doesn't the Tentacle Sync Track E essentially record and transmit at the same time? You can listen live on your phone, so if you plug your phone into the mic socket of your camera you have a (probably low quality but good for syncing and drafting an edit) receiver. Surely the patent doesn't allow for low quality transmission, but puts the stops up for HQ transmission.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:43 PM, runderkimpling said:

I literally cannot wait for this trial. The most annoying thing about Zaxcom is how they troll message boards getting mad at people who call out their business practices. 

Look, we get that you're "within your rights" to exploit an extremely broad patent. But when you're going to stop innovation in the industry and only make your technology available through your extremely expensive hardware, you're going to rub some people the wrong way. We're within OUR rights to think your company's business practices suck.

To each their own. They struggle for their rights. Users for their interest : ) People should try to understand someone's else standpoint : -)