Fuji vs Nikon: Post vs Shooting and the cost of glass.

Geoff CB

8 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Ive heard Fuji glass doesn’t have the best video AF performance. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Video AF depends on the lens. The newer ones are great but the older f1.4 lenses aren't so good and make a little noise.

The 23/f2.0 is fantastic and the 18-55 kit zoom is really good, too. I just got the Zeiss 32mm and it seems to work really well but I haven't used it enough to say for sure yet. The 35/f1.4 is good for photo but a little slow and noisy for video. These are all the ones that I have tried so far.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

Video AF depends on the lens. The newer ones are great but the older f1.4 lenses aren't so good and make a little noise.

The 23/f2.0 is fantastic and the 18-55 kit zoom is really good, too. I just got the Zeiss 32mm and it seems to work really well but I haven't used it enough to say for sure yet. The 35/f1.4 is good for photo but a little slow and noisy for video. These are all the ones that I have tried so far.

Yeah I have the 23 f2 and 16-55 on rental. Both AF okay but they tend to jump between transitions instead of doing it a smooth manner. Did a ballet video yesterday and it was too jumpy for my tastes, wish I had gone manual focus. I was running it on the Ronin-SC and even with a gimbal it's a little shaky compared to the same setup on the Nikon. 

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

This is a hard one Geoff.

I would at least wait to see if Fuji has an announcement of the XH2 in September. I really think they are going to pivot that camera to be video centric in nature.

Ive heard Fuji glass doesn’t have the best video AF performance (focus noise). Maybe someone can chime in on that and debunk it.

I would say keep the Z6. Buy the new BM 7” Video Assist for it. You would get external recording (ProRes RAW someday...) and the 7” model has some serious preamps in the unit. So you could have it record and bake in the audio.

Your idea may be something I should consider, running the new Video assist to bypass the preamps in the Nikon. It's extra time in setup, but may be worth it for me to be able to stay in the system. Borrowing a friends older Blackmagic video assist to see if that would work for me. Also will be great to check out N-log.

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Yeah I have the 23 f2 and 16-55 on rental. Both AF okay but they tend to jump between transitions instead of doing it a smooth manner. Did a ballet video yesterday and it was too jumpy for my tastes, wish I had gone manual focus. I was running it on the Ronin-SC and even with a gimbal it's a little shaky compared to the same setup on the Nikon. 

You might want to experiment with your AF settings.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:10 PM, Geoff CB said:

Advantages of XT-3
Lighter Body and Lenses
In camera LOG
True 24 fps, 2048x1080, 1/48 shutter
Auto WB is spot on in every situation I throw at it.
Great audio preamps.

What do you guys think?

On the XT3,  2K DCI is not as good as 4KDCI because they are not done the same way. (Skipping/binning vs downscale full read out sensor)  Consequently on  2K there is often moiré on hairs and sometimes a severe moiré on certain tissues. For important work I shoot in 4K and I do postproduction  (edit, colorgrading and output) on a 2K timeline.

RCM test 32_1.1.1.jpg

RCM test 33_1.2.1.jpg

On 9/15/2019 at 3:10 AM, Geoff CB said:

The horrible audio preamps

Would a MixPre3 help swing the decision in favor of the Nikon Z6 again?

On 9/15/2019 at 4:59 AM, Geoff CB said:

Doing shoots and interviews quick and the faster I can go on set and in post for them the better. I have unfortunately had this setup in the past and would forget to hit record on the audio while being in a rush. Would rather press one button to record than 2, and eliminate points of failure during a shoot. 

The MixPre3 would auto stop/start recording over the HDMI TC trigger. 

And timecode means everything would sync up in post faster than you can snap your fingers.

21 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

As someone who has the XH-1 and the XT-3 how do they compare for you for Low Light AF? Are they about on par? That camera is heavily discounted right now and one of the only things holding me back on it is the low light AF.

Nothing I have ever noticed, - nada.

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Would a MixPre3 help swing the decision in favor of the Nikon Z6 again?

The MixPre3 would auto stop/start recording over the HDMI TC trigger. 

And timecode means everything would sync up in post faster than you can snap your fingers.

This is an option...

One of my issues is that I'm converting 23.967 files to 24 fps for theater screens constantly. So syncing external audio causes issues sometimes with with this. 

However the mix pre3 mentions this in it's literature: "The MixPre-3's two 3.5mm outputs offer simultaneous hookup to your camera and headphones. Send any channel (pre- or post-fade), the aux input, a USB source, or the stereo mix from either or both line-out channels to your camera's input. Whether your camera has a mic- or line-level input, the MixPre-3's -40 to +20 dB output gain range." So that would help significantly with improving the audio most likely.  

Plus, it would be good and smart of me to start recording both my LAV's and shotgun on set instead of choosing between the two. 

20 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

One of my issues is that I'm converting 23.967 files to 24 fps for theater screens constantly. So syncing external audio causes issues sometimes with with this. 

No it should not, just set your recorder to the same FPS

20 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

However the mix pre3 mentions this in it's literature: "The MixPre-3's two 3.5mm outputs offer simultaneous hookup to your camera and headphones. Send any channel (pre- or post-fade), the aux input, a USB source, or the stereo mix from either or both line-out channels to your camera's input. Whether your camera has a mic- or line-level input, the MixPre-3's -40 to +20 dB output gain range." So that would help significantly with improving the audio most likely.  

Sure, you could do that as well. But the main point of using the MixPre3 would be for its synced TC which is record triggered by the Z6 over HDMI. 

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/viltrox-adds-trio-of-fast-af-primes-for-fuji-x-eos-m-and-sony-a6000-shooters

I was planning on getting a Fringer adapter and a Sigma 18-35 + 50-100mm but this release could change my direction. $250 is so cheap if these lenses are decent wide open. December isn't far away.