Blackmagic refreshes their Video Assist line

Mako Sports

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

A Komode might be more apt as when you see the price of the FP you might well shit yourself.

However...

We have just been back to have a longer chat with them and something caught our eye on it that might cause a re-think in a good way.

More from @Andrew Reid on that upcoming tomorrow or Monday.

They’re nuts if they think will sell a lot of those at that price. I’m only half kidding about the Komodo at those prices. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Just add support for FS Raw please BMD! Like Atomos has

Please, please, please; Sony better not have some bullshit archaic licensing scheme for this.

Im going to scour the net tonight to see if anyone interviewed Grant or some rep confirmed any future cameras getting added to the supported list.

The new 7” VA is the only thing I seriously want to buy this year. I’d still keep my 7Q for slomo, but BRAW is just some much easier to handle than CDNG.

I have a smallhd 701 that im replacing, looking at the 5inch BM one, Shinobi SDI, Portkeys BM5, and the Smallhd 502 bright. 

I don't even need a recorder it's just a bonus.

However that 5'' 12G seems perfect. Dual batteries, 2500 nits, great UI, Lut preview, metal body, full range of scopes. AND it can record.

This might be the one boys. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well shortly after posting that I re upped my preorder. Because this still looks far better than the Atomos options.

Thankfully it looks like there are some signs that it will shortly be released:

1) On blackmagic's website they just posted "Blackmagic Video Assist 3.0.1 Update" Firmware, which I don't think they would release unless it was coming soon.

2) On the B&H preorder page you can now download the Installation and Operation manual, and the first page is labeled  as being created "January 2020"

On 1/20/2020 at 9:58 PM, IronFilm said:

Wish it sorted Sony RAW output

Agreed.

B&H says that is "Released in Limited Qty." So it looks like it has officially launched. 

Also spotted some cool things in the manual such as this:

"For continuous recording or fast slot change overs, make sure your cards are formatted before you start your recording. You can format your SD card or external drive while recording on another slot, simply tap on the storage indicators to reveal the storage settings. See the ‘storage media’ section later in this manual for further information on formatting."

Pretty cool that cards can be formatted during record in emergency situations. 

On 11/17/2019 at 6:20 AM, Geoff CB said:

Yeah I cancelled the preorder. Used the money to purchase a Mix Pre-3 II instead. Audio upgrade was more important for the documentaries I'm working on.  

I've got a MixPre3 (but Gen1) arriving this week as well! Going to by my ultra lightweight kit for when jobs don't need the full power of a Sound Devices 833