Blackmagic refreshes their Video Assist line

Mako Sports

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Exactly, so BRaw for the GH5 wouldn’t be as simple as BM making a profile, in fact it’s probably impossible unless they’re working on HDMI Raw signal as well.

I wonder if BM has to work with the manufacturer to do this. Do they need approval or can they just make any camera that exports Raw compatible?

It sounds like they need a “profile” of the sensor to “tune” BRAW for the camera and to have RAW sensor data.

Hence, also why we are probably seeing a Nikon hardware upgrade to enable it.

Or so I gathered from BMs product announcement video when he was talking about support for EVA1 and Canon C300mkii.

I really, really wish and hope we see something like this come to GH5(S). Would be such a nice package. But I’m guessing we won’t see it until GH6 because it has so be designed for it from the get go.

I would happily pay a few hundred dollars to Panasonic to send my camera in for cleaning and to have it upgrades to have this capability. Would breathe a bit more life into the models.

Having the hassle of a external recorder for ProRes 422 HQ is really not worth it. Getting BRAW...totally worth it. The new 5” Video Assist HDR is the perfect match. Plus you get a great audio recorder too! Not to mention being able to record to the excellent and cheap T5 SSD. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

It sounds like they need a “profile” of the sensor to “tune” BRAW for the camera and to have RAW sensor data.

Hence, also why we are probably seeing a Nikon hardware upgrade to enable it.

Or so I gathered from BMs product announcement video when he was talking about support for EVA1 and Canon C300mkii.

I really, really wish and hope we see something like this come to GH5(S). Would be such a nice package. But I’m guessing we won’t see it until GH6 because it has so be designed for it from the get go.

I would happily pay a few hundred dollars to Panasonic to send my camera in for cleaning and to have it upgrades to have this capability. Would breathe a bit more life into the models.

Having the hassle of a external recorder for ProRes 422 HQ is really not worth it. Getting BRAW...totally worth it. The new 5” Video Assist HDR is the perfect match. Plus you get a great audio recorder too!

Slightly OT, but how do you like the GH5s? The prices on used models are starting to get to a level that interests me and I have seen some really nice stuff shot with them. External recorders are a hassle but I have seen some ProRes 422 from the GH5s and a Ninja V that looks great. The weight of the image seems way better than the internal codec gives... although I like the internal MOV as well.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Slightly OT, but how do you like the GH5s? The prices on used models are starting to get to a level that interests me and I have seen some really nice stuff shot with them. External recorders are a hassle but I have seen some ProRes 422 from the GH5s and a Ninja V that looks great. The weight of the image seems way better than the internal codec gives... although I like the internal MOV as well.

I don’t regret my purchase. There are a few quirks that bother me though.

There is weird horizontal noise pattern on certain VFR combinations in VLOG and Cinelike D. Don’t expect to shoot at 6400 ISO 120fps without this weird noise pattern. Panasonic has released a fix for it but it’s still an issue.

The dual gain circuit has some weird quirks at certain ISOs. If noise is an issue in the shot and you don’t require the optimal DR (night time street or scenes with a lot of shadows) I’ve found ISO 1600 and 6400 have the least noise (extra internal noise reduction I’m guessing). The native ISOs tend to have more noise in shadows but offer best DR when you have enough light. Just requires extra forethought and maybe shooting at a higher ISO, say 6400, when a lower ISO will suffice for exposure but doesn’t for noise performance.

I’ve shot in candle light no problem with a f2.8 lens at 6400 and 8000 ISO.

Video AF is ever so slightly better than GH5, especially at 60fps.

HLG as a log capture format is quite awesome and, I have heard, gives better DR. In practice, the difference is so slight it’s a mute point. It does have better noise performance in the shadows though so I use it over vlogl.

It has a 14-bit sensor and a ever so slightly weighter image than the GH5. It’s surprisingly a good stills camera as well with 14-bit RAW and impressive burst rates with 12fps in single shot and 8fps continuous AF. All with that dual gain ISO. I’ve printed an 8x10 photo and you can’t tell. Would be more than enough for web and Instagram as well. 

It’s great that it has a 1.8x crop when shooting 16:9 video. Attach a 0.64x speed booster and you basically have a full frame field of view at 1.1x

Attach an external recorder and the images coming out of it with something like ProRes HQ are nothing to sneeze at. With a speed booster and a good full frame lens it runs with the big boys, no problem.

In my opinion it’s an under rated camera that is often overlooked because Panasonic didn’t do enough to educate people about it. Too many people compared it to GH5 and said, NO IBIS no good. The size of the sensor is misquoted on every single photo store.

If IBIS isn’t essential or if you see yourself mounting it on a gimbal anyway (because IBIS won’t be enough) or 5K anamorphic isn’t high on your list then it’s clearly the better camera than the GH5 if you shoot a lot of video.

Would love for Panasonic to shoot it some love. I just have a feeling it can do a bit more. 

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Based on the cameras chosen... the C300ii and EVA1, it seems that a Raw export is required for the BRaw process to work... or it’s the simplest for now. 

I could be wrong, but I don’t foresee the major camera manufacturers giving too much access to BM, a competitor, so I assume BRaw, in these recorders, will be limited to cameras that already have a Raw export feature. 

You might be right about RAW export.  if there's some kind of feature already built-into the camera then all BM have to do is implement the manufacturers RAW export format and then they can compress with BRAW and it's done.

28 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I’ve shot in candle light no problem with a f2.8 lens at 6400 and 8000 ISO.

That's pretty awesome!!  and why I own a f0.95 lens for my GH5 :) 

Am I right in thinking that with the new Video Assists and BMD's plug-in for Adobe and Avid, Braw is currently supported on more cameras AND in more NLEs than ProRes RAW?

20 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

No and very much yes.

That's a shame. I was convincing myself that if the footage and photos come out nice, it'll be worth the price, but it was a close call. More price means less interest from me... at least for now.

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's a shame. I was convincing myself that if the footage and photos come out nice, it'll be worth the price, but it was a close call. More price means less interest from me... at least for now.

Things can change so its still very much in play but if it does launch at the price that was discussed with us, then as lovely as it is (and it is lovely) it will be a challenge for it.

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

Things can change so its still very much in play but if it does launch at the price that was discussed with us, then as lovely as it is (and it is lovely) it will be a challenge for it.

Did you laugh when you heard the price?

I suppose there’s more to the L-Mount alliance than just sharing a lens mount. So I’m assuming it’s the same or pretty damn close to S1H prices.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I feel you on that, but on an absolutely egoistic side of my brain I feel alright that I finally pre-ordered the P4K!

Ofcourse very different products, and user base.

Sensor size (and specific specs on a big sensor) seem to raise prices considerably and that is a reality we have to accept. Even BM using an S35 sensor had to go up to 2500$ for the primitive monsters the new Pocket cameras are, I imagine a full frame one could go up to 3250-3500$. 

Are you going to release anything about that vND construction we were talking about a little while ago?

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Did you laugh when you heard the price?

I can't laugh at a tragedy ;)

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

I suppose there’s more to the L-Mount alliance than just sharing a lens mount. So I’m assuming it’s the same or pretty damn close to S1H prices.

The price we were discussing was in pounds so as the camera won't be released before the Brexit date, it could literally be meaningless and you can come to London and buy one with four bunches of bananas, three pairs of nylons, two bars of candy, a carton of cigarettes and a couple of tins of spam like the old days.

15 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Are you going to release anything about that vND construction we were talking about a little while ago?

If I do, it will be in a mount adapter for L mount...

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yikes... maybe I’ll just save up for a Komodo. 

A Komode might be more apt as when you see the price of the FP you might well shit yourself.

However...

We have just been back to have a longer chat with them and something caught our eye on it that might cause a re-think in a good way.

More from @Andrew Reid on that upcoming tomorrow or Monday.

• Super Members

Technically of course, that would count as the "under £3000" that they were discussing with us.

But so would £10 and I don't expect it to be that either.

As much as I want it to happen for them, if it isn't under £2000, if not closer to £1700 if I'm honest, then I can't see it happening for them.

By the time it arrives (and it will be delayed until the end of the year at least) there will be a lot of more mature options available much cheaper.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

As much as I want it to happen for them, if it isn't under £2000, if not closer to £1700 if I'm honest, then I can't see it happening for them.

By the time it arrives (and it will be delayed until the end of the year at least) there will be a lot of more mature options available much cheaper.

My guess is that will be indeed around the £1700  zone (maybe a bit lower excluding VAT) and I confirm that will be delayed further and propably after november.