Blackmagic refreshes their Video Assist line

Mako Sports

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist

Monitor/recorder, 5 and 7 inch models, HDR support, scopes, etc.

A blazing 2500 nits for both options.

$800 and $1000 respectively

The most interesting part is you can record BRAW with it. I wonder how this will work with other cameras from diff manufactures. 

Also Blackmagic RAW is officially supported in Avid and Premiere Pro. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, nathlas said:

Also 2500 nits brightness is a superb advantage to avoid further outdoor solutions.

Yeah. I'll need to check that.

Also, anyone has used any Blackmagic monitor? Are they reliable? Any thoughts about the OS and how fluid it works with LUTS?

Well so far any raw even for Prores raw is SDI right? Nikon were going to be the first to deliver raw over HDMI, but they seem to be struggling.

The difference with Braw is that it creates the file based on the sensor data, so Blackmagic need to create some sort of profile to make each camera's configuration compatable.

Not as simple as plug and play. 

34 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Well so far any raw even for Prores raw is SDI right? Nikon were going to be the first to deliver raw over HDMI, but they seem to be struggling.

The difference with Braw is that it creates the file based on the sensor data, so Blackmagic need to create some sort of profile to make each camera's configuration compatable.

Not as simple as plug and play. 

Exactly, so BRaw for the GH5 wouldn’t be as simple as BM making a profile, in fact it’s probably impossible unless they’re working on HDMI Raw signal as well.

I wonder if BM has to work with the manufacturer to do this. Do they need approval or can they just make any camera that exports Raw compatible?

23 minutes ago, mercer said:

Exactly, so BRaw for the GH5 wouldn’t be as simple as BM making a profile, in fact it’s probably impossible unless they’re working on HDMI Raw signal as well.

I wonder if BM has to work with the manufacturer to do this. Do they need approval or can they just make any camera that exports Raw compatible?

The HDMI specification allows different bandwidths for different versions, as well as different resolutions, bit-depths, refresh rates, and colour subsampling.  So to get 4K60 4:4:4 at 12-bit the HDMI version would have to support 4K at 60p, 12-bit colour, 4:4:4, and also have enough bandwidth to transmit all that data.  This should be pretty evident (that the camera has to be able to pump out what you want to record), but there might be another aspect to it.

It might be that you can use the HDMI as a data link and do whatever you like with it (there's a feature listed on the HDMI wikipedia page called Ethernet Link) that might allow the camera and recorder to use their own format to transmit data, in which case you would need to program the firmware of the camera to process the video stream somehow then pump it out the HDMI port for the recorder.  This might be the camera compressing the video to BRAW and then the recorder just recording it, or it could be that there's a middle step where the camera does a certain number of things to process it and the recorder does the remaining processing.  This would mean that the video stream could potentially exceed the bandwidth of the HDMI connection because the data has already been compressed before pumping it out the HDMI port.

Compression of data is a horrifically complicated thing and there are advancements being made all the time and BRAW is one of those advancements, so it might be that some cameras can be programmed to compress the signal and get a higher quality video out than the HDMI specification would support (without that level of compression).

Of course, this is all speculation but it makes sense logically, and seems to explain what we've seen so far.

So it would be down to the capabilities of each cameras HDMI spec, and also the manufacturers willingness to re-write firmware as well as each cameras specific hardware and processing capabilities that would be required to get BRAW over the HDMI connection.  

You should be able to record anything the camera can pump out the HDMI port now, but in terms of which cameras can support BRAW over HDMI I'd suggest to assume that it's not possible unless proven otherwise.

previous model was superb but not bright enough for outdoor use. 

I would buy that even if they have increased brightness only , imagine with all those features they have it loaded

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Would be cool if the S1H could do BRAW or the S1

I don't find that possible. They must have signed an agreement with atomos in order to use prores raw.

I would love Sigma FP to could use that recorder.

54 minutes ago, kye said:

The HDMI specification allows different bandwidths for different versions, as well as different resolutions, bit-depths, refresh rates, and colour subsampling.  So to get 4K60 4:4:4 at 12-bit the HDMI version would have to support 4K at 60p, 12-bit colour, 4:4:4, and also have enough bandwidth to transmit all that data.  This should be pretty evident (that the camera has to be able to pump out what you want to record), but there might be another aspect to it.

It might be that you can use the HDMI as a data link and do whatever you like with it (there's a feature listed on the HDMI wikipedia page called Ethernet Link) that might allow the camera and recorder to use their own format to transmit data, in which case you would need to program the firmware of the camera to process the video stream somehow then pump it out the HDMI port for the recorder.  This might be the camera compressing the video to BRAW and then the recorder just recording it, or it could be that there's a middle step where the camera does a certain number of things to process it and the recorder does the remaining processing.  This would mean that the video stream could potentially exceed the bandwidth of the HDMI connection because the data has already been compressed before pumping it out the HDMI port.

Compression of data is a horrifically complicated thing and there are advancements being made all the time and BRAW is one of those advancements, so it might be that some cameras can be programmed to compress the signal and get a higher quality video out than the HDMI specification would support (without that level of compression).

Of course, this is all speculation but it makes sense logically, and seems to explain what we've seen so far.

So it would be down to the capabilities of each cameras HDMI spec, and also the manufacturers willingness to re-write firmware as well as each cameras specific hardware and processing capabilities that would be required to get BRAW over the HDMI connection.  

You should be able to record anything the camera can pump out the HDMI port now, but in terms of which cameras can support BRAW over HDMI I'd suggest to assume that it's not possible unless proven otherwise.

Based on the cameras chosen... the C300ii and EVA1, it seems that a Raw export is required for the BRaw process to work... or it’s the simplest for now. 

I could be wrong, but I don’t foresee the major camera manufacturers giving too much access to BM, a competitor, so I assume BRaw, in these recorders, will be limited to cameras that already have a Raw export feature. 

58 minutes ago, nathlas said:

I would love Sigma FP to could use that recorder.

The FP could be interesting since the CDNG files will be exported through USB-C to an SSD. But those recorders are so huge, it makes the design factor of the FP being the smallest FF camera, kinda pointless. I wonder if BM can transcode CDNG files into BRAW in a future Resolve update. It wouldn’t make production media storage smaller but for post and archiving it could help.

• Super Members

Played with a Sigma FP today.

Its a thing of potential beauty but as it stands it raised more questions than answers for me to be honest and I definitely think a couple of things might have to change between now and the release.

My whispering source needs to stay off the sauce as well.

39 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Played with a Sigma FP today.

Its a thing of potential beauty but as it stands it raised more questions than answers for me to be honest and I definitely think a couple of things might have to change between now and the release.

My whispering source needs to stay off the sauce as well.

I assume you can’t really say but I also assume it’s a lot more expensive than we hoped?