EOSHD weekend report: 4 long years

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Your recent blogs all seem to be "I want X and if Y does not provide it, they must be terrible at their multi $million business".

I'm scratching my head as to why you think the no budget indie market should be such high priority, just because YOU want it to be. You really think Nikon took 4 years to come out with this, rather than purposely deciding that the market would be right in Q4 2013?

Even my much smaller business has 1,2 3... even 5 year targets, planned to match the projected trends and tech of that time frame.

I've skipped through the couple articles about this camera and I feel you are wrongly judging this camera Andrew.

I feel you are acting and over analyzing this as if it is the latest and best camera from Nikon and represents the future or direction the brand wants to go in.

But it is not.

It is a specialized camera targeted at a specific nostalgic type of consumers that can afford it.  A side "cool" "retro" camera so to speak.

And it is a retro camera, so obviously it will be retro in terms of features and by definition does not represent the future.

Wow, that opening graphic kind of says it all. Nice.

When the dust settles from the digital photo revolution, only one of the two biggies will be left standing. I think KarimNassar makes a good point about the Df though; it's a retro-niche play and not necessarily the direction of the company. Accepting that though, what is Nikon's direction? I had high hopes for the Nikon 1 system, and it may get there yet, but right now Canon looks to be innovating faster.

I see the the Df release as partial appeasement to photo "purists" who think video is uncool and adds unnecessarily to the cost of a camera.  Now Nikon can at least say that they did what the purists were asking for and see how the actual sales numbers shake out.  Demand so far seems to show that video inclusion was probably NOT stifling sales and taking video out of the camera obviously did not lower the price - so go figure there.

yes nikon is the photographers "brand", taking video out of the camera obviously did not lower the price , can i add but it surely lowered the production cost....

• Administrators

yes nikon is the photographers "brand", taking video out of the camera….surely lowered the production cost....

Wrong I'm afraid.

It's just disabled in the firmware. The video code is already there in the Expeed 3 chip and the D4 sensor was designed to do it. There's no component Nikon have removed from the camera in not having video, aside from a record button.

• Administrators

Take the screen off altogether. That would lower the production cost ;)

Actually there's a market for a film camera with digital sensor, for sure.

It just isn't the Df.

Make it $1000, full frame sensor, absolutely the same ergonomics, build, and size as a Nikon FM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FM

And it will take over the world. I'd buy it. No screen, no video, no nothing, I wouldn't care with something like that.

If you're gonna do a DSLR with silver top plate for $3000 I want video!!

Unless by digital photo revolution, you mean things like iPhone... In which case i agree there is still room for improvement, but it will never reach DSLR levels or have interchangeable lenses, other than the odd gimmick... So no major effect on Canon or Nikon.

I'm not talking about film and I'm not talking image quality. I mean that the way people take and view and share photos is very different than just ten years ago and still changing, and that companies that we just assume are major players with their fingers on the pulse may not have their finger on the pulse after all.

I posit that the way the market is still shifting means that five years hence there won't be room for two behemoths like Canon and Nikon, and that by 2018 one will be a shadow of its former self.

I know it's a bold statement, but heaven knows we've seen more than one company in the last decade be blindsided by the pace of technology change-Microsoft, IBM, Yahoo, Blackberry, the list goes on.

Let's come back in five years and see if I'm right  :D

Unless by digital photo revolution, you mean things like iPhone... In which case i agree there is still room for improvement, but it will never reach DSLR levels or have interchangeable lenses, other than the odd gimmick... So no major effect on Canon or Nikon.

Just want to say, it does - both Canon and Nikon's compact camera business are hurting, and that's costing them a fair chunk of both revenue and profit.

Both companies need to adapt. Even Canon's real cash cow, their business automation division, isn't immune as paper use is decreasing every year. I don't have any particular real insight, but video is not going to save either company on its own. It needs to be something else on top of that, or something different entirely.

Looks like I'm not the only one seeing the five year window

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/camera-companies-risk-going-bust/

"Olympus and Fujifilm have already signaled they’re moving away from budget cams and exploiting other areas with better returns. This shows there’s hope"

So Fujifilm and Olympus are doing well because they are moving away from consumer cams? Ok... So Canon and Nikon should just sell all of their factories and start focusing on something else?

Sometimes I just don't get it.