Canon 5D Mark III review

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

The 5D Mark III is the long awaited 4 years in the making successor to the one that really started it all. Have Canon managed to keep the DSLR video flame alive?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7551/canon-5d-mark-iii-review/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
"Today I bought a Sony FS100."

Considering what you've said all those years, not to mention your criticizing others, I find it very surprising that you bought FS100 - just like the others.
I understand your disappoint with 5d Mk III but you've always hailed GH2 over cams such as FS100. In that regard, nothing is changed. GH2 is still GH2 and FS100 is still FS100. Yet, you're now with FS100.
What gives?

Andrew, i really enjoyed your nature shots. Great video. This is my favorite type of work. I love the scenery and the animals. Very beautiful. I wish i was there.

I can see the lack of details that you've mentioned. Again, it looks like Nature is where you really see the most drastic difference between the 2 cams. That amazing tree is not even sticking out and missing so much Wow-details. Its an amazing tree and you are limited with this cam in capturing its full-beauty. The wide shots are even more underwhelming in contrast. MkII or MkIII will continue to be a 'B' cam for Nature. Its a great stills cam no doubt!

• Administrators
[quote author=5DGH link=topic=444.msg2800#msg2800 date=1332434463]

Considering what you've said all those years, not to mention your criticizing others, I find it very surprising that you bought FS100 - just like the others.
I understand your disappoint with 5d Mk III but you've always hailed GH2 over cams such as FS100. In that regard, nothing is changed. GH2 is still GH2 and FS100 is still FS100. Yet, you're now with FS100.
What gives?
[/quote]

Happy to tell you. I'll be using the GH2 and 5D Mark III seriously so I am now going to be shooting *just* with the FS100. Though there will be more FS100 coverage on the blog as a result, because I blog about what I use.

The FS100 at the moment has become a seriously attractive camera and the only real DSLR alternative. C300 is ridiculously over priced. The main things that have changed between when the FS100 and the GH2 first came out over a year ago, is as follows...

- The price. FS100 is now $4000 2nd hand. B&H are doing a rebate on it new, which comes to $4699. At release it was over $6000. The price in the UK where I live is much higher, but I can have it imported from the US for the same price as a new 5D Mark III in the UK, even with tax added.

- Firmware update due imminently will add PAL to the NTSC camera. I need this!

- I need slow-mo and a flat image profile for a project I'm doing. 1080/60p is lovely and it does a 100fps over-crank.

- External recorders are getting very good and the FS100 does very good 1080/60p 4:2:2 uncompressed via HDMI which is very attractive. No DSLR does this. On the current Ninja you have to use 1080/24p in a 1080i wrapper. This will change with newer models.

- Better built in LCD and peaking

- Better in low light than GH2. The sensor is also slightly larger and has less rolling shutter.

For sure the GH2 is still mega bang for buck. But we must recognise that the rise of the video camera is coming after DSLR video at lower and lower price points, so it is now a factor for the masses not just the elite who use the C300, etc.

It is exciting.

PS - For shoots where I need stealth factor I will definitely not be using the FS100, and I still prefer the ergonomics of the GH2 to be honest. It is small and easy to handle whilst the buttons on the FS100 are all over the damn place!

Huge, huge disappointment. I have a good chunk of money for a camera and I was hoping to pick up a 5D3, but going to have to pass. I'm actually pretty angry about this as we've all waiting for so long.

I'm in your boat. I just wanted no moire or aliasing and true HD. A flip screen and 1080 60p would have been nice, but not a deal breaker. But the resolution is.

I think the codec isn't a huge worry since Alex can probably fix that like Vitality did with the GH2, but the resolution is something I'm not sure can be upped. It's obvious that the 5D3 is capable of 4K because the upcoming 4K C-DSLR is going to be using essentially the same Digic 5 processor, so it can easily do good 2k and probably 4K. Whether Alex can achieve that remains to be seen, but the guy is amazing to say the least.

If Alex can do that, I'd be the first to donate a good chunk of money. I just want good 2k. Not too concerned about 4k.

So it's a hold until NAB, and then maybe I will be forced to buy the Sony FS-100. I just hate going back to the camcorder format :(

lol My boss thought that this mosquito fizz was a problem with our MKIII, since it was shooting in such a high bitrate. Well... it's not. :(

700 lines for how long more? 4 years? 2016???? I don't think this will change on the upcoming T4i and 7D MKII. So DSLRs from canon are now going to a dead end.

They stopped in time and gave the message: "MKII was an unexpected success, great, but let's put things in order now. We got a video division and a flagship cam C300 and if you want that premium, pay for it."

C300 is really overpriced and they made the bare minimum updates for an incredible camera now with almost 4 years. They stopped the hype and without great competition things will settle down.

I'm really dissapointed with this cam. You better buy the moire filter and use neat video when needed. I'm going to FS100 route also. In the company we've got the amazing F3 with S-log and an external recorder but it is always working! lol No time for personal projects.

And WTF!! Focus assist button on the other side of the camera???? It's really hard to get used to it.  >:(

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=444.msg2803#msg2803 date=1332437071]

What gives?
[/quote]

Happy to tell you. I'll be using the GH2 and 5D Mark III seriously so I am now going to be shooting *just* with the FS100. Though there will be more FS100 coverage on the blog as a result, because I blog about what I use.

The FS100 at the moment has become a seriously attractive camera and the only real DSLR alternative. C300 is ridiculously over priced. The main things that have changed between when the FS100 and the GH2 first came out over a year ago, is as follows...

- The price. FS100 is now $4000 2nd hand. B&H are doing a rebate on it new, which comes to $4699. At release it was over $6000. The price in the UK where I live is much higher, but I can have it imported from the US for the same price as a new 5D Mark III in the UK, even with tax added.

- Firmware update due imminently will add PAL to the NTSC camera. I need this!

- I need slow-mo and a flat image profile for a project I'm doing. 1080/60p is lovely and it does a 100fps over-crank.

- External recorders are getting very good and the FS100 does very good 1080/60p 4:2:2 uncompressed via HDMI which is very attractive. No DSLR does this. On the current Ninja you have to use 1080/24p in a 1080i wrapper. This will change with newer models.

- Better built in LCD and peaking

- Better in low light than GH2. The sensor is also slightly larger and has less rolling shutter.

For sure the GH2 is still mega bang for buck. But we must recognise that the rise of the video camera is coming after DSLR video at lower and lower price points, so it is now a factor for the masses not just the elite who use the C300, etc.

It is exciting.

PS - For shoots where I need stealth factor I will definitely not be using the FS100, and I still prefer the ergonomics of the GH2 to be honest. It is small and easy to handle whilst the buttons on the FS100 are all over the damn place!
[/quote]

Now you're listing all the good things. A while ago, you wrote this: [url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/588/the-sony-fs100-why-professionals-are-all-mad]http://www.eoshd.com/content/588/the-sony-fs100-why-professionals-are-all-mad[/url] along with many other posts & mentions dissing FS100.

If I'm not mistaken, articles on EOSHD is not written by a team of people, right?

Good review, when I started watching the video my first though was "bit noisy and fuzzy, I get a better result from my mark II with mosaic filter and Magic Lantern at 150% (about 60mbit)" The main reason I want to upgrade this set is to make it as "simple" as my EX3, especially because the mosaic filter is unusable with the 16-35 wide zoom (can't focus it properly) and with the 24-70 the back focus is so far out changing focal length will throw the image so far out of focus it looks like you went to macro. (you are actually focusing in the macro part of the lens on some focal lengths, which says a lot about how strong the mosaic filter is)

This review really makes me wonder how much this is a strategic move, with the C300 out and a possible 4K video DSLR coming. Perhaps Canon doesn't want to spoilt the C300 fun, if the 4K is like this I'm going to pick up a C300 because I really like that little box of joy, despite the stupid 1/8th aperture control. (Nikon xcollection here we come!)

Anyway, I guess try before you buy is not a cliche for nothing…??

Try turning off in-camera sharpening, use IPB mode (it's higher quality than the current I-frame implementation), and sharpen in post with a convolution filter ("Sharpen" in PPro: GPU accelerated). I have analyzed my 5D3 footage and this should produce the highest quality results. Will post example and hopefully a better resolution chart shortly (see charts here: [url=http://www.eoshd.com/comments/index.php/topic,440.0.html#d2]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/index.php/topic,440.0.html#d2[/url]).

To all those wondering why Andrew and LOTS of other people are using the FS100 "now" vs when it was first released - A LOT has changed with this little Sony monster of a camera.

#1. Price drop
#2. HDMI out supported by more external devices like the Hyperdeck 2 (now both uncompressed and AvidDNX) - Though the internal 28mps AVCHD is VERY good.
#3. Some AMAZING new color log profiles by AbleCine and Frank Glencairn [url=http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/]http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/[/url]
#4. Tons of new E-mount adapters and a few new excellent E-mount lenses like the 24mm F1.8 Zeiss
#5.  Though not new, Focus Peaking is something that once you use it, you will curse every camera that doesn't have it.

[b]Plus all these new features to be added with a new firmware update any day now (if they haven't already).[/b]

Click this link below for a complete list from Sony.
Added the following Aspect-Ratio markers: 2.35:1 - How cool is that!!!?

[url=http://tiny.cc/2palbw]http://tiny.cc/2palbw[/url]

Sony is being VERY aggressive with the FS100 as of late.

I didn't care for the FS100 when it was first released either - but now is makes a LOT of sense.

[url=http://vimeo.com/37406980]Sony NEX FS100 Profile Test[/url]

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=444.msg2815#msg2815 date=1332450621]
Sara, is there something between you and Andrew ;)
Don't want to start rumours but I wish I had a GF who stood by me thick and thin like you do with Andy :(
[/quote]

LOL !

I just rent TONS of gear with my husband and have a collection (trying to sell some of it) similar to Andrew.  Andrew and I don't always agree and there are threads to prove it.

I enjoy the psychology of gear and why people buy / choose what they do - So I seem to understand what film-makers think when they make their purchases.  When you learn the "why" behind what gear people gravitate towards you can get your mind spinning about possible uses for your own personal projects.  IE all these tools have their quirks that are fun to exploit.

But to answer your question completely - no I have no affiliation with EOShd - just a fan.  My husband and I live in the USA and Andrew is way across the sea. 

Cheers!

[quote author=Sara link=topic=444.msg2814#msg2814 date=1332448685]
To all those wondering why Andrew and LOTS of other people are using the FS100 "now" vs when it was first released - A LOT has changed with this little Sony monster of a camera.

#1. Price drop
#2. HDMI out supported by more external devices like the Hyperdeck 2 (now both uncompressed and AvidDNX) - Though the internal 28mps AVCHD is VERY good.
#3. Some AMAZING new color log profiles by AbleCine and Frank Glencairn [url=http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/]http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/[/url]
#4. Tons of new E-mount adapters and a few new excellent E-mount lenses like the 24mm F1.8 Zeiss
#5.  Though not new, Focus Peaking is something that once you use it, you will curse every camera that doesn't have it.

[b]Plus all these new features to be added with a new firmware update any day now (if they haven't already).[/b]

Click this link below for a complete list from Sony.
Added the following Aspect-Ratio markers: 2.35:1 - How cool is that!!!?

[url=http://tiny.cc/2palbw]http://tiny.cc/2palbw[/url]

Sony is being VERY aggressive with the FS100 as of late.

I didn't care for the FS100 when it was first released either - but now is makes a LOT of sense.

[url=http://vimeo.com/37406980]Sony NEX FS100 Profile Test[/url]
[/quote]

Very very good indeed! A little close to S-Log for our F3 here. With an external device (hyperdeck 2 is really an affordable option) this camera instantly turns into a great option for professional usage playing with big boys.

We sold our MKII today and will keep MKIII as our stills camera, but got a good deal today for a FS100 used for $4000. Going to order my recorder. 

MKII was amazing 3 years ago but MKIII even correcting the minor problems of MKII is soft as hell. And with this problem with I-frames we will keep your system with F3 for major shots and GH2 hacked for B shots, some details etc.

Sony could put a little more competition lowering even more FS100 price tag. this would make a big hit on canon MKIII for users intended for video.

Interesting times...

About 4 years ago, Canon was handed the keys to a lucrative new species of camera. How they managed to Fu#K it up so bad is beyond comprehension. There was NO competition and they could have just owned this industry if they just weren't so greedy.

But now, Sony is coming on strong and for me, the Sony FS-100 is really the only worthy alternative.

I think people forget that Canon is a Japanese company, and as such they still adhere to the old Japanese HD standard of 720p.  For them that is their target.  Andrew's analogy to Toyota is correct and very much how the Japanese think.  Why fix something they can milk forever?  Just keep selling incremental improvements and people will keep buying.  But the market has changed and Canon are now far far behind.  If this camera came out 3 years ago, we would have accepted it with open arms and no complaints.  How technology accelerates and now with much better cams, including dedicated camcorders have emerged.  In the end people need to remember that these are tools and as such use the right tool for the job.  If that's the 5DmkIII, or FS100, or whatever, then use it.  In the end it's about what you do with the tools that is important.

Thank you for the honest review Andrew!  I always look forward to all your opinions on gear and tech talk!

[quote author=jcs link=topic=444.msg2813#msg2813 date=1332448411]
Try turning off in-camera sharpening, use IPB mode (it's higher quality than the current I-frame implementation), and sharpen in post with a convolution filter ("Sharpen" in PPro: GPU accelerated). I have analyzed my 5D3 footage and this should produce the highest quality results. Will post example and hopefully a better resolution chart shortly (see charts here: [url=http://www.eoshd.com/comments/index.php/topic,440.0.html#d2]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/index.php/topic,440.0.html#d2[/url]).
[/quote]

JCS I look forward to more info from you.  Can't wait to get my 5DmkIII and try out your settings!  Thank you!

• Administrators
[quote author=5DGH link=topic=444.msg2810#msg2810 date=1332444620]

What gives?
[/quote]
Now you're listing all the good things. A while ago, you wrote this: [url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/588/the-sony-fs100-why-professionals-are-all-mad]http://www.eoshd.com/content/588/the-sony-fs100-why-professionals-are-all-mad[/url] along with many other posts & mentions dissing FS100.

If I'm not mistaken, articles on EOSHD is not written by a team of people, right?
[/quote]

I'm still the same person but I've changed my mind about the FS100. Substitute FS100 for F3 or C300 in that article and it still stands  ;D

My point there was that the FS100 was £4500 more than a DSLR, yet similar image quality (to GH2). That is still true but we are talking about the £3000 5D Mark III here. The FS100 is a year old and has come down to around $4000 used and $4699 new. The one I bought cost £2750 when converted from the USD price of $4300. The UK RRP of the 5D Mark III is £3000. So it actually works out cheaper to get a FS100 than this particular DSLR, with all that extra video functionality.

And last time I looked, 5D Mark III doesn't do slow mo does it?  ::)

Things change, and I change my mind to adapt...