Who else has a single coated Iscorama 36?

richg101

I'm interested to know how many of the guys here have rama's with the 36mm rear element but also single coatings.  

Mine is single coated for sure, yet has '36' on the front ring.  I did a direct comparison between a pre- 36 model and mine and the flares are exactly the same as the pre 36/non 36 version with the smaller rear element.

just curious really since it seems a lot of people are hankering for the pre-36 version without realising that there are infact some 36's which are single coated.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i have a true 36 with the large backing.  just don't know which.

are there any markings or anything to tell if it's multicoated or not besides the mc designation?  i know some are not mc designated and still multicoated.

single coated will result in an amber/bronze main horizontal flare and a green secondary flare.  Set a tungsten bulb up ans your light source and use the correct wb setting and if the flares turn out to be amber/bronze with a secondary green flare it means its a single coated version  

I know I asked this before but does the larger rear element give you a bit wider FOV before vignetting at all? 

if there were any difference I assume it would only show up when using very wide lenses on smaller sensors rather than on typical 50mm and up taking lenses on aps-c and full frame.  Since the rear element on the non 36 version is still very large, and can be positioned very close to the front optic of the taking lens this difference would only be seen on taking lenses with huge front optics.  I'd imagine the '36' might have a slight edge in terms of light loss when using very fast lenses, but it would be very slight.

when testing the two against each other on a helios 44 the results to my eyes were as follows:-

flares; exactly the same

brightness: exactly the same

fov: exactly the same

contrast:  36 was slightly lower contrast than the non 36.

Personally I couldn't choose which I prefer.  The difference was so slight it's not worth even considering IMO.