Has anyone tried the panasonic 35-100 2.8f ?

BenV

Have been looking at reviews and information about this lens online but was wondering if anyone has tried it? I'm thinking about expanding my selection of lenses. Currently I only have manual primes: 12mm SLR magic, 25mm Nokton & a 50mm old olympus lens (This lens moves slightly in the adaptor when focusing so is sort of useless)

I do like to us my G6 for the odd still but manly shooting video.

My concerns of this lens are that it may have a too clinical look, I love the look my nokton and slr magic give and the other concern is 2.8f fast enough on a m43? Will I loose that great shallow DOF i can get with my other lenses wide open.

Would be great to hear peoples thoughts on this lens for filmmaking and to hear other suggestions in a similar price bracket. I was thinking zoom as i don't have one and thought it may offer me more versatility over more primes but if primes fit the bill better I would be happy to consider them. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This lens is awesome, but not perfect for video. 

You can still get a shallow DOF by zooming in on your subject at closer positions, but you are right about the clinical look. Its too sharp, makes moire pop out and has a video feel to what it captures. Its better for stills or run and gun. 

I use loads of FDs and SLR Magic because I like my images to look organic.

Still, the Panasonic is awesome and can be graded to look more organic, certainly. 

Pretty much what I thought. Just trying weigh up if it's the right lens for my needs. I see from reviews that its a great lens and I can't help but occasionally think it would be good to have at least one lens that links to the camera electronically for the use of AF etc. On the other hand would I be better off spending the money on something else?

I have been looking at speed booster + unknown lens but a bit lost with regards to what to go for?

Well I like it for shooting events and venue, since the stage is usually well lite so F2.8 is fast enough to keep ISO not too high.

For doing short films though a prime is always better, that why I have the Voigtlander.

You can probably wait for the Leica 42.5mm F1.2 OIS which I will be getting when it is released, a fast portrait lens with IS is godsend for handheld!

Have been looking at reviews and information about this lens online but was wondering if anyone has tried it? I'm thinking about expanding my selection of lenses. Currently I only have manual primes: 12mm SLR magic, 25mm Nokton & a 50mm old olympus lens (This lens moves slightly in the adaptor when focusing so is sort of useless)
I do like to us my G6 for the odd still but manly shooting video.

My concerns of this lens are that it may have a too clinical look, I love the look my nokton and slr magic give and the other concern is 2.8f fast enough on a m43? Will I loose that great shallow DOF i can get with my other lenses wide open.

Would be great to hear peoples thoughts on this lens for filmmaking and to hear other suggestions in a similar price bracket. I was thinking zoom as i don't have one and thought it may offer me more versatility over more primes but if primes fit the bill better I would be happy to consider them.

I've been using this lens for a few months now, and while I wish the construction was more confidence-inspiring (it can't compare to the feel of a Voigt, that's for sure!), I'm very pleased with it. I don't get the comments about the lens being too clinical at all. Here's a short clip I shot with the lens last week.

http://jonpais.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/sunday-afternoon-in-the-park-a/

I've been using this lens for a few months now, and while I wish the construction was more confidence-inspiring (it can't compare to the feel of a Voigt, that's for sure!), I'm very pleased with it. I don't get the comments about the lens being too clinical at all. Here's a short clip I shot with the lens last week.

http://jonpais.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/sunday-afternoon-in-the-park-a/

Nice video, thanks for posting. I have had a look on youtube but most of the videos i'v found haven't really shown me what I wanted to see. Have you had any problems with video jitter/shake with the ois on? Noticed a few people mentioned that problem on personal view.

Nice video, thanks for posting. I have had a look on youtube but most of the videos i'v found haven't really shown me what I wanted to see. Have you had any problems with video jitter/shake with the ois on? Noticed a few people mentioned that problem on personal view.

Thanks, Ben. Only once, when I switched over from slow motion to normal (24fps) did I notice some jitter, but it's hard to say whether it was the lens or me - I just happen to get tremors every now and then (it runs on my father's side of the family). The shot of the caterpillar was made in ETC mode, and even then, the optical stabilization saved my butt. I never use stabilization in post, so what you see is what you get. Just like all the talk about 'plasticy' skin tones or 'digital' looking images, I think it all comes down to lighting and correct exposure. In fact, I like this lens so much, I'm reluctant to to use my once-favorite 12-35mm f/2.8. And just in case you didn't read the details in the YouTube video, all of the shots were made with sharpness turned down to -4, with no sharpening added in post.