Don't buy another camera, buy everything else instead

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
58 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I literally just sold my BMPCC4K to get the Leica 10-25mm f/1.7. I figured the camera wasn't worth my hassle and I much rather have a convenient and awesome lens. ?

What are you going to use it with? Have you used it yet?  Is it good?

7 hours ago, kye said:

What are you going to use it with? Have you used it yet?  Is it good?

GH5/G9 (way more convenient to use!). Haven't had the chance yet (have my cameras in NL and am in AT at the moment where I was able to get it at -10% & another €5 off). In a week I have holidays (around my birthday) and I will get get around to it. ;) It's indeed lighter than expected, still a big boii tho (will probably stick out of the bottom of any camera, so need to be gentle setting the camera down). Luckily I had invested in 77mm filters before and always used step rings. From research everybody that's been using it was superimpressed. Some argue it's better than primes, some argue it's not quite up there, but it's real solid and super convenient. It's one of these unicorn lenses that only comes along once every so many years (e.g. like Samsung had with the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 ED OIS S or the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8)... this time? A 10-25mm constant f/1.7. Madness if you ask me.

7 hours ago, kaylee said:

ykno what beats a great lens...?

great crew ?

Personally I'm more of a Zach. Just me and my hand puppets. jk xD Though, one man's band more born out of being a control freak/perfectionist (I'm the one with the vision, I'm the only one who can execute it properly, would be too frustrating trying to convey my intent to others that then still wouldn't get it right). A set of slave clones would be nice to have tho.

7 hours ago, Cinegain said:

I literally just sold my BMPCC4K to get the Leica 10-25mm f/1.7. I figured the camera wasn't worth my hassle and I much rather have a convenient and awesome lens. ?

9RcjfrQ.jpg

That lens almost pushed me over to Panasonic camera's, it's a beautiful piece of engineering. 

5 hours ago, Cinegain said:

It's one of these unicorn lenses that only comes along once every so many years (e.g. like Samsung had with the 16-50mm f/2-2.8 ED OIS S or the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8)... 

God do I miss the Samsung 16-50 and 50-150. Those designs were the perfect size and weight with incredible optics. Wish they had sold the designs to Sigma or Tamron so they could have used them.

52 minutes ago, heart0less said:

Imo posting frame grabs from a video is meaningless. Because it does not score motion. I could stills from a Leica M10 as proof... but that wouldn't make a case for it being a great video camera. 

10 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Personally I'm more of a Zach. Just me and my hand puppets. jk xD Though, one man's band more born out of being a control freak/perfectionist (I'm the one with the vision, I'm the only one who can execute it properly, would be too frustrating trying to convey my intent to others that then still wouldn't get it right). A set of slave clones would be nice to have tho.

couldnt agree more. SAME SAME SAME.

...BUT. ive learned to have the opposite attitude, and its paying off TREMENDOUSLY, right now...!

it only took 10 years, nbd ?

not even jk. as a fine artist who does everything, quite happily, ALONE, this whole producer journey has been quite a trip

im getting good at it tho~! just. takes. PRACTICE sadly smh

It's nice to have a nice camera, but a lot has to do what is happening in front and behind (!) the camera body. It's like when you were a kid shooting silly videos with your friends, playing out a combat scene perhaps or something. First thing that ruins it is an inadequate casting/wardrobe/location. A battlescene with 12 yr olds running around in casual clothing in a suburb neighbourhood with cringy acting doesn't really sell it. Same for the post production with too epic music thrown over it and Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks set to overdrive on the 'Michael Bay'-setting. But you live and you learn. Get the right talent in front of the camera, put 'em in a convincing setting, with the mood set right from the get-go and suddenly it's already much better. You change the kit zoom to a set of primes. You're giving camera movement more thought. In post you still stylize, but you don't go overboard. It's those touches that have little to do with the camera body itself that make the biggest difference. So when the title of this thread says 'everything else instead', indeed, ND filters and audio gear are exactly those kind of things.

I just got a little too carried away with pixel squeezing and forgot about the time and effort it takes to obtain and work with such thicc footage. And for what? So it looks slightly better to the 1% that would actually be able to tell a difference. I realized that I enjoy the shooting process the most. Thinking carefully about the scene, what it needs in terms of lighting, what look am I going for, what lens would suit that? That sorta thing. I actually don't enjoy just about anything that happens in post, so it was a bit foolish of me to get a new and exciting camera that would however make that whole part more tedious, but it's an easy trap to fall into. Atleast I realized it. ? Maybe I'll consider it once I can afford to have an editor work for me (that shares a similar mindset/creative vision).

38 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I just got a little too carried away with pixel squeezing and forgot about the time and effort it takes to obtain and work with such thicc footage. And for what? So it looks slightly better to the 1% that would actually be able to tell a difference. I realized that I enjoy the shooting process the most. Thinking carefully about the scene, what it needs in terms of lighting, what look am I going for, what lens would suit that? That sorta thing. I actually don't enjoy just about anything that happens in post, so it was a bit foolish of me to get a new and exciting camera that would however make that whole part more tedious, but it's an easy trap to fall into. Atleast I realized it. ?

tumblr_pxonj1hlTR1xiag8io1_1280.jpg

Is anyone here shooting with a lens that is more expensive than their camera body?  I think that might be a threshold of some kind...  sadly, I'm not.  

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Imo posting frame grabs from a video is meaningless. Because it does not score motion. I could stills from a Leica M10 as proof... but that wouldn't make a case for it being a great video camera. 

I take your point but disagree..  Although motion is very important (along with sound, acting, storyline, etc), stills show: colour, DoF, grading, composition, and do so without the YT compression crunch that obliterates much of the subtlety, so it's not meaningless....  Yes, Vimeo is nicer than YT but I have never been able to play anything on it without it pausing to buffer (and many others were similar when Andrew polled this some time ago).  

and people posting images from the photography mode of their camera is just cheating!  (unless it's just to talk about the lens of course)

It is easy to cherry pick stills from a scene and say look at how amazing this camera is with this lens. In reality it isnt. 

You will actually get a x20 better image with the bmpcc and a cheap vintage lens than you ever will from this combo (and it will cost you a whole, whole lot less).  

3 hours ago, Yurolov said:

It is easy to cherry pick stills from a scene and say look at how amazing this camera is with this lens. In reality it isnt. 

You will actually get a x20 better image with the bmpcc and a cheap vintage lens than you ever will from this combo (and it will cost you a whole, whole lot less).  

Your proving my point.  Imagine what the bmpcc would look like if instead of "upgrading" to the p6k you bought all the stuff and made a great bmpcc rig instead.  Which would win between a p6k with only a cheap lens and a bmpcc with lenses and a rig to the value of the p6k retail price.

And also don't think badly about vintage lenses, the absolute legendary vintage lenses are worth more now than they were new, but everything else is worth a tiny fraction of how much it cost new because demand has plummeted. Vintage lenses aren't 'cheap' they are spectacular bargains :)