iPhone 11 Pro can record on multiple cameras simultaneously

Shell64

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Reviews started to come out today and I came across this interesting detail on how the Smart HDR is handled.  While I don't expect video to have this level of adjustments it does look like a serious update to how photos are taken and could bode well for the video quality.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20868727/apple-iphone-11-pro-max-review-camera-battery-life-screen-midnight-green-price

Early reports indicate that the iPhone 11 sensor has a higher ISO range and faster possible shutter speeds. But Apple told me that the real improvements are due to a bump from an 8-bit rendering pipeline to 10 bits, and something it calls “semantic rendering,” which is basically an update to Smart HDR that recognizes individual elements of an image and adjusts them appropriately.

From my conversations with Apple, semantic rendering basically goes like this:

The iPhone starts taking photos to a buffer the instant you open the camera app. So by the time you actually press the shutter button, it’s captured four underexposed frames and the photo you want. Then it grabs one overexposed frame. (This is all basically the same as the iPhone XS and the Pixel 3, except the Pixel doesn’t grab that overexposed frame.)

Smart HDR looks for things in the photos it understands: the sky, faces, hair, facial hair, things like that.

Then it uses the additional detail from the underexposed and overexposed frames to selectively process those areas of the image: hair gets sharpened, the sky gets de-noised but not sharpened, faces get relighted to make them look more even, and facial hair gets sharpened up.

Smart HDR is also now less aggressive with highlights and shadows. Highlights on faces aren’t corrected as aggressively as before because those highlights make photos look more natural, but other highlights and shadows are corrected to regain detail.

The whole image gets saved and shows up in your camera roll.

This all happens instantly every time you take a photo.

Here are some details on the video editing capabilities.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2019/09/13-features-of-ios-13-video-editing/

"Tap on the dial icon and you can adjust image qualities, including exposure, highlights, shadows, contrast, brightness, black point, saturation, vibrance, warmth, tint, sharpness, definition, noise reduction, and vignetting.....  Moreover, all of that image adjustment is non-destructive, so if you ever decide you don’t like any of the changes, you can revert back without losing anything."

1 hour ago, hoodlum said:

Here are some details on the video editing capabilities.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2019/09/13-features-of-ios-13-video-editing/

"Tap on the dial icon and you can adjust image qualities, including exposure, highlights, shadows, contrast, brightness, black point, saturation, vibrance, warmth, tint, sharpness, definition, noise reduction, and vignetting.....  Moreover, all of that image adjustment is non-destructive, so if you ever decide you don’t like any of the changes, you can revert back without losing anything."

It's always interesting to see what they add or don't add.  The biggest problem I've seen with consumer cameras, and the iPhone in general, is that it has no slider to adjust the green/magenta balance on a shot.  What this means is that in nature the cameras auto-WB makes all the brown walking paths appear purple.  If I'm getting an image where brown comes out as purple, why would I care that I can adjust almost anything else?

It's like they're making a Ferrari that can only turn left.

7 hours ago, kye said:

It's always interesting to see what they add or don't add.  The biggest problem I've seen with consumer cameras, and the iPhone in general, is that it has no slider to adjust the green/magenta balance on a shot.  What this means is that in nature the cameras auto-WB makes all the brown walking paths appear purple.  If I'm getting an image where brown comes out as purple, why would I care that I can adjust almost anything else?

Use Filmic Pro, you can dial in custom white balance and tint.

• Administrators

Took my iPhone XS Max (obsolete already!) along to the Apple Store the other day and put the cameras side by side with 11 Pro, the XS Max had the more pleasing colour tone at least under the lights of the Apple store, whereas the 11 Pro was shifted more towards green.

Other than that, the XS Max had a SLIGHT bit more noise, but the 11 Pro looked like it had more noise reduction, with a more plastic texture.

So you get an ultra wide angle camera and an image which in some ways is worse.

Call me a luddite but not sure I want to spend 1400 euros upgrading every 12 months for this kind of deal.

Especially when there are 48MP quad-bayer smartphones sensors in $500 phones from other manufacturers.

I remain an Apple user, but they really need to up their game.

They have some of the best and most natural camera results around and very good CPU, very good computational photography engine and the best mobile OS... But damn, give me a better reason to upgrade...

You are not supposed to upgrade every 12 months, where did you hear that? IMO, Apple's yearly iterative releases make the most sense and enable you to hold off purchase of a new device until the old one's are discounted or you want the newest model available.

Android OEMs could extend this model with a proper low-mid-high tear products and offer a large screen size option for all of them. Keep it at 6 new models per year tops and release products with meaningful updates. R&D will have more resources available for each model and Os updates will be easier. Expect users to keep their device for 2-3 years at least and make them robust.

8 hours ago, kye said:

Fortunately you can adjust tint now in the new Photos App.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Took my iPhone XS Max (obsolete already!) along to the Apple Store the other day and put the cameras side by side with 11 Pro, the XS Max had the more pleasing colour tone at least under the lights of the Apple store, whereas the 11 Pro was shifted more towards green.

Other than that, the XS Max had a SLIGHT bit more noise, but the 11 Pro looked like it had more noise reduction, with a more plastic texture.

So you get an ultra wide angle camera and an image which in some ways is worse.

Call me a luddite but not sure I want to spend 1400 euros upgrading every 12 months for this kind of deal.

Especially when there are 48MP quad-bayer smartphones sensors in $500 phones from other manufacturers.

I remain an Apple user, but they really need to up their game.

They have some of the best and most natural camera results around and very good CPU, very good computational photography engine and the best mobile OS... But damn, give me a better reason to upgrade...

Try walking while taking a video both on the XS (unusable) and on the Pro (great) at 4K60p. 
The super wide is nice. The battery life super improved. So are small details. 

But I agree it is nothing crazy. If I did have to pay full price and not 50% like I did, I would have waited for the 2020 one (and I had the X previously not the XS). 

6 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

IMO, Apple's yearly iterative releases make the most sense and enable you to hold off purchase of a new device until the old one's are discounted or you want the newest model available.

Or, in my case, when the battery is getting lower and they start throttling the CPU.  Then it's time to give it to one of the kids as a hand-me-down! ???

(also, at this point the camera will be a noticeable upgrade!)

6 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Fortunately you can adjust tint now in the new Photos App.

Mine has a slider called Tint, but it adjusts temperature (blue/orange), not tint (green/magenta).  Has that changed?