Zev Hoover 8 x 10 camera? Variable Diopter work with it?

wallpaperviking

Hi, 

Maybe not exactly the right forum but am hoping somebody might be able to help me :)

I am currently building a similar camera to the one Zev Hoover did in this article...  I am mainly looking to use it for stills but similar concept..

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/01/03/this-18-year-old-photographer-built-his-own-8x10-large-format-video-camera/

Am having trouble getting the bellows to extend far enough out for C/U portraits, as the lens' light rays end up hitting other parts of the camera and cause vignetting.

Am wondering if using one of the variable diopters (Hardcore DNA or Rapido) would help with this?  I currently have a Goerz Dagor 305mm f6.8 which projects a massive image circle (covers 11 x 14 inches).  Any idea if it would work on front of my Goerz Dagor and reduce bellows draw?  

If so, what drawbacks could I expect?  I would be looking to use movements as well (tilt and swing), so not sure if these would be an issue.  

I also have a Tokina 0.4 Achromat, would this work in helping me to get closer without extending bellows?

Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The physics of focus remain true, regardless of format... however, your main concern will be the possibility of introducing vignetting. The variable diopters are only compatible out to certain angle of view, and that doesn’t change per format either. 

My advice for large format would be the new Rapido FVD-35A. It is optimized for “normal” angle of view 2X anamorphics (aka 50mm on full frame), but can be pushed as wide as 40mm apparently. (That’s a potential 20mm fullframe equivalent lens for anyone doing the anamorphic math). A quick google and table look-up shows that’s in the neighborhood of a 95 degree diagonal angle of view. 

Fixed diopters will be cheaper, but will limit your lens to close focus. For photography and certain video shots, that might not matter, but for fully racking focus, it won’t work.

10 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

The physics of focus remain true, regardless of format... however, your main concern will be the possibility of introducing vignetting. The variable diopters are only compatible out to certain angle of view, and that doesn’t change per format either. 

My advice for large format would be the new Rapido FVD-35A. It is optimized for “normal” angle of view 2X anamorphics (aka 50mm on full frame), but can be pushed as wide as 40mm apparently. (That’s a potential 20mm fullframe equivalent lens for anyone doing the anamorphic math). A quick google and table look-up shows that’s in the neighborhood of a 95 degree diagonal angle of view. 

Fixed diopters will be cheaper, but will limit your lens to close focus. For photography and certain video shots, that might not matter, but for fully racking focus, it won’t work.

Caleb, thanks so much for the reply, is greatly appreciated!  Was thinking the Rapido FVD-16A as it was more in my price range but the 35A might be out unfortunately... :(

Will try my Tokina 0.4 diopter, as am largely looking to use it for stills...

With any of these variable diopters, can you attach a fixed diopter to get even closer?  Any issues doing that?

Thanks again!

You are making a large format DOF adapter and using anamorphic optics?

Our own @Gonzalo Ezcurra made the largest format DOF adapters that I have seen.  I don't think that he ever tried anamorphic optics on them, but you should probably be aware of them, nonetheless.

He made a 20"x20" version, called the "E-Cyclops."  Then, he made a smaller, 14"x14" version, called "MiniCyclops."

Here is construction of the E-Cyclops.

Here are some of the results, evidently from the MiniCyclops.  Unfortunately, he took down all of his amazing videos shot with these devices.

He also made a motorized focus mechanism and a motorized stand for the cameras.

2 hours ago, tupp said:

You are making a large format DOF adapter and using anamorphic optics?

Our own @Gonzalo Ezcurra made the largest format DOF adapters that I have seen.  I don't think that he ever tried anamorphic optics on them, but you should probably be aware of them, nonetheless.

He made a 20"x20" version, called the "E-Cyclops."  Then, he made a smaller, 14"x14" version, called "MiniCyclops."

Here is construction of the E-Cyclops.

Here are some of the results, evidently from the MiniCyclops.  Unfortunately, he took down all of his amazing videos shot with these devices.

He also made a motorized focus mechanism and a motorized stand for the cameras.

Nope, not for use with anamorphics at this stage (although I have thought of it).  My question mainly relates to whether using a variable diopter on my large format lens, will enable me to have the bellows drawn out less for when shooting close up portraits.

Yes, I saw the E-Cyclops videos before they were taken down.  I have tried a similar method of filming off the GG but in my opinion, Zev Hoover's approach is better, just purely based on the fact that he is able to hand hold it :)