Isco Ultra Star f=85mm - 3.35in

raghard

I bought this Anamorphic lens and for the life of me cant focus it!

Does anyone know if this particular lens is usable with a DSLR

if so what do I do?

When you look through the lens you have to hold it a foot away from your eye for it to be in focus

is this like this with all anamorphics?

Sorry Im trying it for the 1st time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ultra stars are anamorphic projection lenses needing double focusing. These lenses are made for projection, so they don't focus very close, usually in the range of around 1.5 to 2 meters or so.

First you mount them to a taking lens (with rear part of anamorphic as close as possible to taking lens as possible) using a clamp or a rail mount. When mounting, you need to rotate and align the anamorphic so that vertical and horisontal lines are really vertical and horisontal. People often shine a light into the lens to see a flare for that alignment. It can work to align it with camera pointed at truly vertical wall too (like a wall, door or something else you know will be aligned).

When focusing an object at around 5 meter or so - first adjust your taking lens to 5 meters and then the anamorphic to 5 meters. If you nail the focal distance on both lenses your image should be in focus. If the focus is wrong on one of the lenses, you won't have anything in focus.

Search in the forums a bit as well and you'll find more threads about:

- aligning different anamorphics

- using double focusing

- Isco Ultra Stars.

i reckon the lens needs adjusting. been trying to focus now for ages and the focus on the isco seems to do nothing! however i see the thing moving back and forth.

it appears to act like a telephoto too.

Its very frustrating I can tell you.

I will check out the suggested threads now

Thank you for your reply by the way

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271301435737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

here is a link to the lens

Do you know how to unscew it then? Do you need to undo the tiny screws? Sorry for being

an amature. Ive also tried to unscrew where i imagine the split to be but no joy.

When i see other people that have isco's on their cams it looks like the front part

So yes i reckon i need to split it!

Thanks for that

• 4 months later...

Hi Raghard, I am having the same trouble you where with getting the end of the isco ultra star to unscrew. What did you wind up doing to remove the unnecessary part?

if you mean to unscrew the very tight one, see pictures what I did.

There is a thin glue on the threads joining the anamorphic front to the 85mm projector lens. It's pretty easy to free up, just GENTLY tap the area where the two lenses meet to break it up. Should unscrew pretty easily. Just don't tap it too hard, you could break some glass internally.

If not, ken's method works well too.

Hi Raghard, I am having the same trouble you where with getting the end of the isco ultra star to unscrew. What did you wind up doing to remove the unnecessary part?

I won this lens on eBay for 99 bucks and when I got it I had a lot of trouble trying to separate the actual anamorphic lens from the projection back end. I ended up getting a set of oil filter wrenches like this ' alt='' class='ipsImage' > I put on on the top lens and one on the back end at different directions and it came right off hope this helps